Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Question about military and truckdriving (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28583-question-about-military-truckdriving.html)

GMAN 07-29-2007 02:30 AM

Re: Question about military and truckdriving

Quote:

Originally Posted by GI_James
Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas
Is it true that if a person has their CDLs, joins or gets drafted in the military and has them converted into a military CDLs, that when they get out of the military, they have to go to driving school and test for their civilian CDLs all over again? :x

Greetings Douglas,

From what I understand, most companies could care less about military training. I'm still active duty (Air Force) and am looking to get out soon. But I don't understand why companies look down on us. I've been driving truck for 12 years (almost 13). I spend my time now training people on driving Tractor Trailer. Now, I ask why would someone discount troops experience in driving Truck in the Military? Is it the Military Type of Vehicles? At my last base in Florida, We had Freightliners & Internationals & Sterlings. Here in Japan, we have Sterlings, Internationals & Fuso's. 12 years ago we had GMC Topkicks (thank god those are gone). Not only do I drive and train on Tractor Trailer, but I driver Wrecker as well... bus & coach bus too. I drive anything with wheels or tracks..., part of being in Military Transportation I guess.

Ooops... I went on a bit here... sorry... I get carried away sometimes...

-James

Frankly, I think your military training should count. The only thing that comes to mind is the rules are different over here on the road. We must adhere to strict hours of service. It isn't rocket science. Like driving, it just takes a little time to get the hang of it. Perhaps you could go ahead and get your CDL in the U.S. while you are still in the service, it might help you to land a good job when you get out. I would hire a guy who had military experience in a minute.

century451 07-29-2007 03:12 AM

I believe that is the school bonus for anyone that enlists gets. I could be wrong but that sounds like a recruiter spining tales to make some guy feel like he got something special.

In the 70's the Navy had a recruiting poster saying they paid their sailors more. Anyone that has been in the military knows that the pays the same no matter what service including base pay, comrats, VHA, housing, combat pay, hazard pay and even flight pay or sea duty pay.

Your friend if he is going into Motor Transport will still have to take the classes and tests and get his military drivers licence. I believe anything over 3/4 ton requires a licence but its been too long I dont remember.

GI_James 07-29-2007 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by century451
I believe that is the school bonus for anyone that enlists gets. I could be wrong but that sounds like a recruiter spining tales to make some guy feel like he got something special.

In the 70's the Navy had a recruiting poster saying they paid their sailors more. Anyone that has been in the military knows that the pays the same no matter what service including base pay, comrats, VHA, housing, combat pay, hazard pay and even flight pay or sea duty pay.

Your friend if he is going into Motor Transport will still have to take the classes and tests and get his military drivers licence. I believe anything over 3/4 ton requires a licence but its been too long I dont remember.

century451,

actually anything less then 14k GVW doesn't require special license. Unless it's a specialized vehicle. You're right, pay is the same across the board, however, the Army does tend to give out more money to get recruits. I can tell you for sure, the Air Force will not give you $10k just because you have a CDL. You'd better have lazer eye-sight or something like that to get 10 large in the Air Force.

And what the recruiter didn't tell the troop when he got the check, was he would be driving half a$$ armored trucks in Iraq for $20k a year. The troop probably took the $10k and bought a new stereo... I see it all the time... Then they're hating life once they're behind the wheel of a truck in a far away land getting shot at.

-James

Douglas 07-29-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
gets drafted in the military

What world are you living in?
2nd of all-You don't "Convert" your CDL into a military Truck driving license

Someone told me they'd had their CDLs in the military (the Marines), but then when they got out they had to go back to tech school to get their regular CDLs. A guy in class told me this.

I guess it could have been when he got out he dropped his CDLs and just got his regular license, not too sure... :?

Phantom433a 07-29-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas
Someone told me they'd had their CDLs in the military (the Marines), but then when they got out they had to go back to tech school to get their regular CDLs. A guy in class told me this.

I guess it could have been when he got out he dropped his CDLs and just got his regular license, not too sure... :?

I was trans for a while in the army. Sounds like this guy had a military license that qualified him to drive everything, but he didn't have a civilian CDL license. BTW, no matter what type of equipment you are operating in the military, if it takes fuel of any kind, you need training and a license for it, "hey soldier, did you light that lantern"? "yes sire". "let me see your license".
Companies are able to verify driving experience in the military, if they know where to look.