Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   US 30 in PA (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28553-us-30-pa.html)

driver67373 07-27-2007 01:35 AM

US 30 in PA

I was just wondering if US 30 is a good truck route from I-81 to York, PA. I can't tell on my atlas or not if it is a truck route through Gettysburg. I just wanted to be sure it was ok. I deliver there tomorrow. I just got released from my trainer at Crete and this is my first load. Thanks for your help.

hitman 07-27-2007 02:21 AM

I know that 30 goes right through the heart of Gettysburg. There are a couple circles you have to go half way around that might be a little tight. Don't see it listed in the atlas as a restricted route through there...just near Philly. I'd call the shipper/receiver and ask them.

driver67373 07-27-2007 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitman
I know that 30 goes right through the heart of Gettysburg. There are a couple circles you have to go half way around that might be a little tight. Don't see it listed in the atlas as a restricted route through there...just near Philly. I'd call the shipper/receiver and ask them.

Well I'm coming up from I-81 in VA. Definately the shortest route by far. I just wanted to make sure it was a good one for trucks. Thanks.

GMAN 07-27-2007 03:19 AM

I have driven that route before. As I recall, there are some traffic lights, but I don't remember any restrictions on the road. The route is shorter, but I am not sure you will make that much better time, if at all.

Uturn2001 07-27-2007 04:04 AM

Ran it on Streets and Trips

Going US 30 is about 30 miles shorter than staying on the big road, but it will take about 30 minutes longer.

Skywalker 07-27-2007 06:37 AM

There is a very definite restriction on US 30 in Gettysburg. No 53' trailers allowed. Big ticket. Last time I blew through there I saw the sign too late, but I got lucky and it was raining rather hard....the only LEO I saw wagged his finger at me. Unless that has changed, I would find a way around.

slowmoe20 07-27-2007 12:17 PM

skywalker you are right. You cannot take a 53 foot trl throug Gettysburg.

Double R 07-27-2007 03:34 PM

Run I81 to 581 east to 15 south to 94 south to 116 east to 30 east. ALL LEGAL TRUCK ROUTES. Good running road too. 15 south is 4 lane but has some lights around Dillsburg, PA. Just watch your speed, LEO hammer that road hard. 94 is 2 lane but decent route. Same with 116 through Hanover,PA, decent route. I have ran this route many times.

OR
You can go:
I81 north to 581 east to I83 south to Route 30 in York, PA
OR
You can go:
I81 north to the PA Pike(76 east) to exit 242; I83 south to route 30 in York,PA.

silvan 07-28-2007 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double R

That gets my vote. I used to run that all the time in a 45' that was legal through Gettysburg. The speed limit from Chambersburg all the way to York was 45 mph, and there were several little towns, although I can't remember which ones were on which side of what anymore. I was always a shortest == quickest guy, but someone convinced me to try 581 to 83, and I never went back.

I guess it's too late for the original poster. Hope he didn't get a ticket in Gettsyburg. There's a marked truck detour around that, but I never had to take it, being in a 45'/96".

PA used to be a big pain in the ass for 53' trucks. I guess it still is, if it's still up there somewhere.

nickbtubas 07-28-2007 03:04 AM

A rule of thumb for me is this:

"Would want a 80' vehicle rolling through your historic downtown??"

Stick to the highway, its bound to be faster and SAFER(sometimes)!!!

evertruckerr 07-28-2007 12:36 PM

I'm probably throwing myself under the bus here, but I've been through Gettysburg twice with a 53' and don't recall seeing any length restriction signs(however it was dark and raining both times). Not to mention I saw a number of others trucks doing the same thing. There are a couple of round-a-bouts but there is plenty of room to clear the curbs.

If the restriction does exist, I'll consider myself lucky and avoid the area until I get a clarification.

Double R 07-28-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertruckerr
I'm probably throwing myself under the bus here, but I've been through Gettysburg twice with a 53' and don't recall seeing any length restriction signs(however it was dark and raining both times). Not to mention I saw a number of others trucks doing the same thing. There are a couple of round-a-bouts but there is plenty of room to clear the curbs.

If the restriction does exist, I'll consider myself lucky and avoid the area until I get a clarification.

Front of the Rand MCA has it listed as a restriction. There are signs posted. They will nail you hard if caught.

silvan 07-28-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evertruckerr

It definitely existed, with posted signs, the last time I was up there. I don't know what might have changed since then, but I'd be surprised if anything has.

driver67373 07-28-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

OR

Although I wasn't able to check back here before I made my delivery that is the way I decided to go, turns out my exit was 12 miles north of York on I-83, but it's still considered York. lol. Thanks guys.

Crash935 07-28-2007 11:15 PM

Did you go to ES3?

driver67373 07-28-2007 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash935
Did you go to ES3?

Not sure what that is...I went to York Mixing Co. I-83 xt 28. BIG PLACE. Took me 20 minutes to find my empty, only Crete empty on the lot. Crete driver that got there after me, came up to me and asked if there were anymore. I told him they said this was the only one there. Poor guy lol.

rvrjr7 07-29-2007 12:40 AM

I like us30 across pa the only thing is its hilly and i ran it at gross but its great running 8)

driver67373 07-29-2007 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrjr7
I like us30 across pa the only thing is its hilly and i ran it at gross but its great running 8)

I drove US 322 coming from Harrisburg going up to I80 yesterday evening. That was one beautiful drive. PA is a beautiful state all around.

07-29-2007 09:05 PM

I guess I am throwing myself under the bus as well, i rolled through there with a 53 footer myself, saw the signs to late like the other poster said....but i gotta say, they must not crack down on it to hard or there are just a lot of people that dont care because i was accompanied by several other trucks going in both directions with not a single one being pulled over. I was in Gettysburg in my car with my wife just 3 weeks ago as well and noticed a few trucks passing right through..... i dont recomend just ignoring signs and doing whatever you want, I'm just saying that by my observations and experiences there, that restriction is not observed very well by many drivers.

allan5oh 07-29-2007 10:52 PM

just a question, what is the bypass like? Or is it even considered a bypass?

Double R 07-29-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

I-83 xt 28
If you go back there, stop at the 83 Diner next time. Great food and plenty of parking in the back.

driver67373 07-30-2007 03:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I-83 xt 28
If you go back there, stop at the 83 Diner next time. Great food and plenty of parking in the back.

10-4 :D

Would be interesting to have a thread about all the great little places like that to eat at on the road. A lot of times it's the little ma and pa places that have the best food.

geeshock 07-30-2007 03:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I-83 xt 28

will have to make a note of that i go that way all the time

Odie 07-31-2007 05:23 AM

The quickest way is from I-81 in VA is, Rt 7E (exit 315) to US340N to I-70 to 15N in Frederick to 30.

I went thorugh Gettyburg on 30 with a 53ft. I didnt get caught though. I think all the bears were in bed since it was like 0200 in the morning.

BTW, running across 30, I have not seen a detour around Gettysburg. When you see the sign that you cant be over 65ft, you are pretty much screwed.

Odie 07-31-2007 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driver67373
Quote:

Originally Posted by rvrjr7

I drove US 322 coming from Harrisburg going up to I80 yesterday evening. That was one beautiful drive. PA is a beautiful state all around.

Yeah, but their roads are horrible. :x

dollarshort 07-31-2007 10:15 PM

Route 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie
The quickest way is from I-81 in VA is, Rt 7E (exit 315) to US340N to I-70 to 15N in Frederick to 30.

I went thorugh Gettyburg on 30 with a 53ft. I didnt get caught though. I think all the bears were in bed since it was like 0200 in the morning.

BTW, running across 30, I have not seen a detour around Gettysburg. When you see the sign that you cant be over 65ft, you are pretty much screwed.

I think I can speak for everyone else on here being I live in Gettysburg, PA!

First off the best route from 81 in VA is :

81 North, 66 East, 340 North, 340 East, 15 North to 30. By not going up to Exit #315 you will not have to cross the scale. ANd running 70 across is about 20 miles out of the way.

The only signs posted say "No doubles, No trailer over 48'. Signs are posted on every route leading into Gettysburg. The fine if you get caught is $420.00

It really sucks because every company pays you routing that way.

There is also another way around.....Take 15 North to Route 234 West and back to 30. I would only run that way if you know what you are doing. It takes you through orchards. Very winding.

If you are in for a real thrill.....Take route 30 West from Chambersburg to Breezewood. It is not restricted but you better take a pair of fresh undies if you are loaded.

Any other questions....Just ask.

Double R 07-31-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

If you are in for a real thrill.....Take route 30 West from Chambersburg to Breezewood. It is not restricted but you better take a pair of fresh undies if you are loaded.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You not kidding there. Took 30 from Greensburg to Lancaster last October in my car. The wife and I did the scenic route for our vaction/honeymoon. :D

Now, 30 east from Breezewood to McConellesburg IS RESTRICTED for 53s