Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Saying No to your dispatcher? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28552-saying-no-your-dispatcher.html)

Skywalker 07-27-2007 06:47 AM

Cluggy...That was "priceless"!!! $500 bucks for the drive tires!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will not run illegal, for any reason. If I run out of hours, I shut down. If the weather is bad enough to make me want to shut down, I do so. I will not move a load that is overweight. I will not move an unsafe trailer or tanker.
I say the word No very easily....have for years.

In the past, I have had dispatchers utter threats, I laughed at them and told them I already had another job...and would be turning in the truck, and sending a formal letter to the CEO of the company with a "transcript of our conversation"..... got some real rapid attitude changes from them.

I can always find another driving job, but finding another life is not so easy. Dead is dead. Being jailed for stupidity is almost as bad.

But honestly, I haven't had this kind of problem in years now.

Cluggy619 07-27-2007 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Cluggy...That was "priceless"!!! $500 bucks for the drive tires!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They were only three weeks old, as I remember. :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I believe I said no due to time restrictions that I felt I had due to weather. I always allow for extra time when the snow starts to fly. I told him I need at least 12 more hours for the trip, and he started to argue with me. He finally told me he'll give it to someone else, and that I'll be sitting for a week to think about it. That's when I hung up. The rest you know.

It's funny how JB's safety preaches about always to allow enough time for your trip, and not to drive during rough weather. I wonder if they ever get around to telling their dispatchers that.

BTW, hasn't anyone else got a offer for tires, either to buy or sell? I know their are always people willing to buy fuel at the truckstops......

rvrjr7 07-29-2007 12:36 AM

500 bucks for a set of drives id buy them in a heartbeat if they were 3 weeks old. i once had a dispatcher tell me i had to go work a job site for 6 hours once and i had only 2 and a half hours left on my 70 and told him that i would go and work the site until i had barely enough hours to get home. he told me i had to stay all day and i came back and told him he cant make me run illegal to get home and when it gets to 2 hours left on my 70 im leaving. he wasnt very happy with that and as i hung up on him i kinda said this is a f@#$*%# joke which he heard i found out and was told to grab an empty and head home NEVER I REPEAT NEVER let a dispatcher force you to do anything you are not comfortable with with like weather or running illegal hes not in that sleeper with a gun to your head and if they try forcing you to run illegal or running when you dont feel safe to do so call either your saftey department or his boss and if you dont get any results from them keep on going up the chain of command and if they fire you for being safe that company isnt worth a damn anyways. always put that you are shutting down in the qualcomm to cover your butt so they cant come back and say you never told them :twisted: :twisted:

Bumper 07-29-2007 03:04 AM

I put in a request to go home two weeks ago. I sat in Jenks Oklahoma for 3 days waiting for a load...finally got one to Iowa...350 miles and 3 days to do it in...then I got a load to 3 Rivers Michigan after that and then sat for 8 hours waiting for the computer problems to be repaired.

They finally get repaired and Jessie W wants to send me to Chicago to run the Sterling Walmart POS for 5 days instead of going home.

He told me it was mandatory and I had no way out of it. I told him that at my age the only thing mandatory is death and I would be taking my truck to Ottawa IL and renting a car to go home with.

My terminal manager got into the middle of it and I am now taking my truck home to clean out and take it to Phoenix on monday for turn in.

Start my new job on Tuesday.

Phantom433a 07-29-2007 02:48 PM

seeing as how I'm a line driver hauling sheetrock, mines a different set of circumstances. We haul out of Vegas for Az, Ca, N.M., and Utah, leaving in the afternoons and returning the next day. I normally run northern Az and NM and my dispatcher knows I won't run foreign countries (i.e. California). He gives me first choice of all the loads "up north" and we have never had a problem. This is my second time with Truline and Phil knows how I am. If there is a problem, he lets ME decide the best way to handle it. He has complete trust in all of his drivers, noobs are watched not only by him, but us as well untill they can prove they can do they job right. The only time I have told him "no" was when he asked me to go into a quarry off Crookton rd west of Ashfork. Its a 12 mile stretch that takes an hour to drive (its that rough). After the first time, I told him to NEVER send another truck in there, reasons being, rough as h3ll road and a guy that lives right at the entrance to the quarry. If you mistakenly turn onto the wrong road (his driveway) he will come out shooting. He hasn't sent a truck in there in 2 years.

pilot200 07-29-2007 05:41 PM

i have had to say no to my dispatcher at times. when i know winter conditions will be not safe. when i know that i cannot legally get load to place in time. i have had to service fail loads because i ran of drive time.
when the loads don't have much mileage on them. when i don't have enough time on my 70 to get me back home too. being told to drive a truck which i know is not safe. i said no to all of those circumstances.

you are the one who has to be responsible. you are the one who gets tickets and pays for your actions.

but i have also done favors for my dispatcher too

cdreid 07-30-2007 10:54 AM

WOw

If my dispatcher sat me out to "punish" me he'd come into work to be greeted by my truck in the parking lot and me in the executives offices raising hell. (The company i work for is like that). WHY you guys or any trucker would let anyone "punish" them is beyond me. Costs $5 for an ad in the local paper to replace a dispatcher/planner/whatever. Costs 2-5 grand to replace a driver.. who can get another job by picking up the phone.

Had one mistake my delivery date. Night dispatcher. REamed me over the qualcomm for being late and "there are drivers who do these miles every day!". I informed him that i run 3k a week in 5 days, that he's a moron and that id be talking to his bosses bosses boss in the morning when he came in.
HE got reaaal quiet after that. Now whenever i call in and he picks up he pretty much kisses my butt. He realised he made a mistake and now he knows i dont take bs.

On the other hand if dispatch asks me for a favor.. i do it if possible. Not because i have to or the company wants me to but because dispatch has moved mountains for me. They deadheaded me 500 miles last thanksgiving to get me home because a moron newbie screwed me over.
Ive got zero problem with fixing my log book. Do it all the time. But i dont drive tired. Ever. If im tired, theres ice out, its too dangerous etc i shut down.. period. And if they dont like that they can let me know so i can start returning recruiters phone calls.

On the other hand.. im going local in two weeks! Home every night baybeee! Ill let you guys keep the "big money" and sit my butt at home every night