Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Cleaning bug splatters (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28412-cleaning-bug-splatters.html)

Graymist 07-22-2007 02:31 AM

Cleaning bug splatters

Do you guys ( & gals ) know of anything available commercially for cleaning bug splatters ( and their blood ) from the windshield ? By the end of a day's driving, my windshield resembles a cemetery ( or mortuary ) for countless bugs who met a violent end !!

got mud? 07-22-2007 02:36 AM

Re: Cleaning bug splatters

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graymist
Do you guys ( & gals ) know of anything available commercially for cleaning bug splatters ( and their blood ) from the windshield ? By the end of a day's driving, my windshield resembles a cemetery ( or mortuary ) for countless bugs who met a violent end !!

I carry a gallon of white vinegar works really good also ad a drop ( and i mean just a drop) of dawn dish soap to your washer fluid

Graymist 07-22-2007 02:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:

I carry a gallon of white vinegar works really good also ad a drop ( and i mean just a drop) of dawn dish soap to your washer fluid

Thanks for your prompt response...how much of the vinegar do you add to the washer fluid ?

got mud? 07-22-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by got mud?
Quote:

Thanks for your prompt response...how much of the vinegar do you add to the washer fluid ?

I don't put vinegar in my washer fluid i use it strait on the windshield. I carry my own bucket with a lid and my own squeegee brush.

Skywalker 07-22-2007 03:54 AM

One thing that I use is the "prewash" soap that is acid based and used by the different truckwashes. Its the stuff they spray on and leave for a couple of minutes before they use the pressure washer. Works wonders. I put it in a windex bottle and use it "straight" with no dilution.

Just make sure you don't get it in your eyes or on your skin. Stand "up wind" of your windshield.

It even works on "lovebugs"!!

Drew10 07-22-2007 10:52 PM

Carry a bottle of dishwashing liquid in you truck. At the truck stop, put a squirt in the wash "bucket" at the fuel island, then use the provided wand to clean the windshield. First using the wand cover the windshield with the mixture of washer fluid and dishwashing liquid and let sit for a minute. Then using the wand "Sqrub" the windshield with up and down motions starting from the center and work out to the pillar. Works pretty good.

VitoCorleone99 07-22-2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker

I'm calling BS. There's no way you can spray a product on a Volkswagen Beetle and remove it from your windshield. If you have a Beetle come crashing through your windshield, you have a whole host of other issues anyway.

Blind Driver 07-22-2007 11:31 PM

I keep all my glass coated with rain-x. I also add 2 drops of dishwashing fluid to my washer fluid tank.

honestashol 07-23-2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoCorleone99
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker

I'm calling BS. There's no way you can spray a product on a Volkswagen Beetle and remove it from your windshield. If you have a Beetle come crashing through your windshield, you have a whole host of other issues anyway.

I figured you'd find those under the fenderwell...

Jackrabbit379 07-23-2007 07:29 PM

Quote:

I get what I call a, "bug sponge." It's a regular sponge, but it has that plastic mesh around the sponge. You can get it at Wal Mart, or anywhere that sells sponges, etc. Does pretty good at getting the bugs off.