Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Advice needed about Maverick and TMC (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28316-advice-needed-about-maverick-tmc.html)

hansman 07-17-2007 02:18 AM

Advice needed about Maverick and TMC

Hey guys (and girls)
I`m in the middle of making a career change into the trucking industry.I have read all I can find online on the two carriers in question but...some of what I`ve found is a bit old.
I`ve been "accepted" by Maverick :D and also talked to TMC ,but as you know TMC doesnt offer any CDL training.
I`d like to hear from some of you guys who have been recently hired and are driving for either carrier.

Thanks for your time :!:

Popeye 07-17-2007 03:04 PM

The only thing that I can tell you for now is that with Maverick if you are planning on going to their CDL program to be prepared to wait. If you are in a position to do this than everything else that I have heard seems to positive (i hope it is). I applied with them in the beginning of June and was accepted by the end of June. At that time they told me that it would probably be "at least" 3 to 8 weeks yet to start training (this is for flatbed not specialty). So if need to start something immediately you may want to look elsewhere.

BOL2U
Bob

tinbender8700 07-17-2007 09:01 PM

I'm in Mavericks Specialized Div. I applied in Dec. and they asked me to pick a date when I wanted to start their school in Thomasville NC. I started last Feb. Hauling glass isn't bad at all, you just have to be more careful with the way you drive. Once you've delivered the glass, then you're given either a general flatbed load, sent to a glass plant for a live load, or you deadhead back to Laurinburg NC for another glass load. So far I've done a little of all of the above. Deadheading back is the easiest and you get paid for all those empty miles!...lol, but that doesn't happen often.

Tinbender
truck 55981

hansman 07-18-2007 12:31 AM

tinbender..thanks for the info,I was told I`d be training in Arkansas and would have the option to choose between the natl flatbed fleet and the more regional covered wagons...any advice there...the natl fleet gets 200-300 more miles per week but also requires more manual tarping etc. than the wagons.

tinbender8700 07-19-2007 01:10 AM

Advice? You might want to talk to Arky on here. He's in the flatbed div. You might have to do more tarping in flatbed, but you get paid tarp pay everytime you tarp a load. So there is an upside...lol

Tinbender

hansman 07-19-2007 02:05 AM

tinbender,
thanks for the reply,Iwill start cdl training with Maverick in a few weeks,and in the meantime,I`ll try to contact Arky

steelhauler2007 07-19-2007 01:43 PM

I drove for Maverick for 10 months,had to leave due to personal reasons. I was in their flatbed and drove southwest region.They are a great company. If you go into their LNG Division you won't be home every weekend.Believe it is every other weekend,depending on freight. Once you get used to tarping,it isn't bad at all. They have a fantastic load securement class in Little Rock. If you have to wait for training ,it will be worth the wait. You have made a great choice.

hansman 07-20-2007 12:57 AM

Steelhauler,
Thanks for the reply and the words of encouragement ,I`m probably gonna go with the covered wagons/regional areas.
Thanks again

arky 07-21-2007 02:27 AM

Hello hansman, I have to agree, you've made a good choice. Your wait time will depend on where you live. Since your being your offered covered wagon or long haul, I'm guessing your in the IN, OH, IL areas somewhere. Those states are where they try to keep their covered wagons, although you see them everywhere.

I would probably go with the covered wagon. You should stay pretty close to home with the occasional run to the Ft. Smith, AR area. I see the covered wagons at our terminal there quite a bit, but that's about as far south as you generally see 'em.

Just keep in mind that in the regional fleets (as I understand it) you'll be kept in that region MOST of the time, but if there is a load that picks up there and delivers to Laredo, TX or "wherever" and your next up on the empty list...guess where your headed? Personally, I would like it. Close to home most of the time with an occasional trip to parts unknown...LOL.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Good Luck

Arky

hansman 07-21-2007 01:09 PM

Arky,
thanks for the reply...your guess on my location is pretty close,I`m in north central Ky,(Louisville) area.
I`m leaning toward the covered eagons for the reasons you stated.
How long have you been with Maverick and did you do there CDL school?
I`d cant PM yet...not enough posts yet. :cry:
Is there any other way I can contact you?