Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   As an Investor, how do I get started in trucking business? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28168-investor-how-do-i-get-started-trucking-business.html)

thorpeone 07-10-2007 07:23 PM

As an Investor, how do I get started in trucking business?

I am currently residing in South Florida. I have always been interested in the trucking industry, but as a full time mechanic, I am more inclined to put a truck on the road, hire a driver to drive it and lease it to a company that hauls dry vans. I don't know much about the trucking industry and don't know how to get started. Any advice would be welcome.

abc123 07-10-2007 07:44 PM

even if you get all the advice and information in the world, unless you personally drive yourself and see how it works , otherwise you will lose lots of money. i think many people will agree with me.

BigDiesel 07-10-2007 07:51 PM

Re: As an Investor, how do I get started in trucking busines

Originally Posted by thorpeone:
I am currently residing in South Florida. I have always been interested in the trucking industry, but as a full time mechanic, I am more inclined to put a truck on the road, hire a driver to drive it and lease it to a company that hauls dry vans. I don't know much about the trucking industry and don't know how to get started. Any advice would be welcome.

If you are looking to make a small fortune in the trucking business.... Start with a large fortune.. :lol:

golfhobo 07-10-2007 08:36 PM

Send me ALL the money you have, I will make us both rich! :lol:

Seriously, you LIVE in an area that produces "produce." You live in an area that NEEDS "produce." YOu should consider a REEFER not a dry van.

This will allow you to send your truck/trailer out and back within a week (if you staff it with a team.) That will allow you to do ALL maintenance at your "home" shop, and not pay exhorbitant prices on the road.

Plus, I believe, produce hauls pay more than general freight.

You can ALSO do regional runs of citrus products to Northeastern grocery DC's.

But, since they produce nothing of real value in the Northeast, you will possibly have to haul back a load of "dispatcher brains" (that means EMPTY!)

Cripplecreek 07-10-2007 09:36 PM

Another ithing you may want to consider is hauling boats and theres plenty of them in FL and I've heard from a few drivers boats can be profitable, but you better find a driver that has experience specifically in boat transport.

ben45750 07-10-2007 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by thorpeone:

Better off to get a good broker and buy trucking stocks.

Jackrabbit379 07-10-2007 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigDiesel:
If you are looking to make a small fortune in the trucking business.... Start with a large fortune.. :lol:

That aint no lie. :shock: Start way up there, and sink towards the bottom. :P

Snowman7 07-10-2007 11:50 PM

LMAO I was going to say if you want to make a million bucks in this business start with two million!

Seriously, Most guys fail at running their own truck let alone paying someone else to drive it. Unless you can buy 100 trucks forget this plan, and if you can, you better know what you're doing first. There is no profit margin in this, guys who have their own truck simply bought themselves a job for the most part.

merrick4 07-11-2007 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Snowman7:
LMAO I was going to say if you want to make a million bucks in this business start with two million!

Seriously, Most guys fail at running their own truck let alone paying someone else to drive it. Unless you can buy 100 trucks forget this plan, and if you can, you better know what you're doing first. There is no profit margin in this, guys who have their own truck simply bought themselves a job for the most part.

Man as someone just getting into this, I sure hope you guys are wrong. It's very disheartening to read stuff like this. But we shall see. I will be posting numbers in the near future. My money won't be going to chrome or strippers or anything else so if it's possible to do it I am going to do it. If not you will all read it.

I had to humbly post my experiences on the MrLandlord website. I didn't make it as anticipated but I didn't lose either. As a matter of fact, considering all the hurting that's going on in Florida, I did well to get out when I could even if the profit was smaller than anticipated. But like I said I did have to admit that the people who told me not to do certain things were right. So if I lose with this, then I'll admit it.

fireman932003 07-11-2007 02:16 AM

Another case of someone coming in here asking advise and then completely disregarding it and doing it anyways. Why do we bother? I hope that yo don't lose your rear in this. There have been many intelegant people try to do what you want to do and end up losing it all. BOL