Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Newbie here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28059-newbie-here.html)

ncmark 07-04-2007 10:39 PM

Newbie here

I live in Northeast North Carolina, and thinking about switching to trucking. I currently have my class A CDL and am a route driver for a local beer distributor here in town, but want to get out of it because slinging beer at 40 is just a little to much. Also for anyone not familar with my location, I am close to Chesapeake, Virginia Beach & Norfolk, Va if that helps. But would much prefer to stay in NC. Thanks for any and all advice. Also fairly new to T/T's since April, prior to that was dump trucks with the D.O.T. here. If that helps.

jegzus 07-04-2007 11:04 PM

Go put applications in with all the race teams. That job is fun as hell and pays good with lots of fringe benefits. I did it for about 6 months before our team lost the sponsor.

Drew10 07-04-2007 11:10 PM

Sorry, dont mean to stray from the posts topic.

jegzus, I noticed your profile, you are from Effort, Pa. I used to live there also. Im out near Hazleton now. Where did you live in Effort. (I lived in the culd a sac on Sunset Drive, off Rt 115)

jegzus 07-04-2007 11:17 PM

On harvest Hill dr off of sugar hollow road.

ncmark 07-04-2007 11:43 PM

dont live near any race teams. thats near charlotte and im like 6 hrs. from there

jegzus 07-04-2007 11:45 PM

So get hired and move lol. Thomasville is a nice area, that is where I was living.

ncmark 07-05-2007 12:33 AM

moving is not an option

bonzo 07-05-2007 03:45 AM

hey i was a route driver for 18 years myself i no how you feel. driving the truck was the easy part of the job. what you could try would be to go to the big post office hubs in your area and see what trucking companys are hauling the mail for the post office . then call them up. the pay is good the most work you have to do is secure your laod. also a lot of dedicated work. hours suck but you cant have every thing. you can also try your dot see if theyare looking for any highway maintainers. you would be plow driving road repair nothing to hard. i have done both and theyare both better then being a route driver.i am not knocking route driving i made a real real good living doing it. but once i got in my fortys it got tuff on the back and knees. good luck to you.

ncmark 07-05-2007 10:46 PM

I worked for the DOT here and had to leave because of the $$$$$$, put 5 1/2 yrs in. Mail here done with box truck. Anyone else have any help or ideas for me?

Triple Digit Bob 07-05-2007 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by ncmark:
I worked for the DOT here and had to leave because of the $$$$$$, put 5 1/2 yrs in. Mail here done with box truck. Anyone else have any help or ideas for me?

EH,try this place,eh Jb hunt. You make good money,like 350.00 one week,but they have very slow truck. :sad: