Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Practical Miles, Hub Miles, HHG Miles, what's the diff? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/27830-practical-miles-hub-miles-hhg-miles-whats-diff.html)

Mackman 06-23-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Of course, we dont get paid by the mile, just by the hour. :? :P

Thats even better then hub miles. 8)

Uturn2001 06-23-2007 08:35 PM

Practical Miles or Practical routed miles= The distance from post office to post office by the most practical truck route.

HHG or Household Guide= The distance from post office to post office by the absolute shortest route available regardless if it is a truck route.

Hub Miles= The actual miles a truck travels between destinations.

================================================
Here is a FYI: Just because a company says they pay by PC Miler or Rand Mcnally miles, etc does not mean much of anything by itself. All it means is that they are using a computer program to determine the milage between destinations. They can still be paying you off of HHG miles.

Uturn2001 06-23-2007 08:36 PM

Sadly I worked for one company that paid HHG miles to the driver but charged Practical routed miles to their customers.

I did not stay there long once I found that out. Talk about the big rip.

Jackrabbit379 06-23-2007 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mackman
Thats even better then hub miles. 8)

Yeah, but it would be better if we got paid by the mile, too. :P

Drew10 06-23-2007 10:37 PM

Quote:

Be sure to ask certain companies about the 10% varience......I won't name any companies shaving miles, but I did find a few runs past that 10%. Something to think about.
The 10% is a rule of thumb only. It is by no means scientific.

I have found the greater distance your trip is and the more the interstates or primary highways are along your route the more accurate HHG will be.

The more irregular you route, away from the interstates, the more inaccurate the trip will be, if you drive the interstate or primary state routes, on your trip.

Much of the time it is faster to travel major 4 lane limited access roads even though it may be longer in distance from paid miles.

Some of my trips from Post Office A to Post Office B have been alot less that the 10% rule of thumb. Others may be a little more, just depends on where A and B are in relation to one another. Even had the occassional (rare) trip where my miles driven was less than HHG.

HHG and Practical are just means of determining the way to pay a driver. Since a company really doesnt know how well to trust a driver to drive the shortest or most practical route on a trip, I can understand why most do not pay hub miles. It would come down to trusting the driver to do the right thing. I do wish they would all switch to practical. Much more appropriate with todays highway system

Do to many laps around the T/S or get "Lost" to many times you will soon find out how much longer that company will continue to pay you Hub miles.

Sabine 07-04-2007 04:00 PM

I get paid Hub Miles, but I am very honest with my employer. I have gone out of the way to meet a friend and told them to subtract the miles, I will note if there is an out of route due to accidents or construction, and I will run the shortest practical route.

married to the road 07-07-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Sadly I worked for one company that paid HHG miles to the driver but charged Practical routed miles to their customers.

I did not stay there long once I found that out. Talk about the big rip.

We get routed by P C Miler (pratical miles), but get paid hhg. So even if we do exactly what the route says, we still get paid for less miles. When I get a load while at the terminal, they give me a trip sheet with the load info, has the first stop, last stop, directions, pick up and delivery times, even the total number of miles. And the total miles will be very close to what I actually drive, but when I get paid, it is usually about 5% less than than what is on the trip sheet!. I always feel ripped off.