Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Do you prefer night driving or day driving? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/27769-do-you-prefer-night-driving-day-driving.html)

ohiomohawk 06-18-2007 09:12 PM

Do you prefer night driving or day driving?

I like night driving because of less traffic but it can be hard too see on back roads.

I can see better during the day but traffic can be a pain in the a##. :x

inmate1577 06-18-2007 09:13 PM

Re: Do you prefer night driving or day driving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
I like night driving because of less traffic but it can be hard too see on back roads.

For me, I like driving during the day. I try to avoid night driving as much as possible, too many drunks and critters at night.

got mud? 06-18-2007 09:54 PM

Re: Do you prefer night driving or day driving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk

during the summer I tend to drive more at night. in the winter I drive more during the day because bad weather tends to hit more at night or it just seems worse then.

BigWheels 06-19-2007 12:14 AM

When I was OTR, I preferred day driving...I didn't want to miss humorous signs like this one: http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...-popart12s.jpg .... :mrgreen:

Hat Rak 06-19-2007 12:25 AM

I like driving at night, but I usually don't find myself in that position to do so. It just seems more relaxing and I end up completing more miles driving at night than during the day.

However this past weekend, I drove home from ATL late saturday night through early sunday morning just to avoid the Bonnaroo traffic [and succeeded].

Rockee 06-19-2007 12:47 AM

I perfer day also, mostly for visibility :)

Doghouse 06-19-2007 01:51 AM

Day for me,...too many animals at night :cry: . I also tend to get sleepy when the sun goes down.
Even in my car I try not to drive long distances at night.

repete 06-19-2007 02:13 AM

day time, my trucks solar powered! :lol:

bonzo 06-19-2007 03:34 AM

most of my driving was at nite 7 pm to 5or6 am. i myself loved those hours. less traffic and you can put the hammer down real good around 1am to 4am. also when i made my stops there were no bosses to bug me. and in bad weather i did not have a bunch of dum dums driving with me because they were in bed.

ben45750 06-19-2007 03:45 AM

I like driving during the day time because I sleep the best at night.

driver67373 06-19-2007 04:06 AM

I don't prefer driving fully in the day or night. I don't like driving all night because I tend to start getting sleep about my 8th to 9th hour. I prefer instead to start my shift between 1-2 in the morning, which puts my 14 being up at 3-4 in the afternoon. This works to my advantage because at that time in the afternoon, normally you won't have any trouble finding a spot in a trucking stop. If I were to drive all day, and start looking for a stop at 8 or 9 at night, you're going to have a lot more difficulty finding a spot. And rest areas can fill up too. And if you've been driving all day and you're really tired, that just compounds the problem even more. Also the hours I drive usually, though not always, allow for most shippers and recievers hours. Well that's what works for me. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan

TruckerChris 06-19-2007 07:10 AM

I drive nights 4-4 and driving at night is by far my favorite... We drive a lot of backroads with stop lights to get us from US50 to I-80 and during the night it takes about 20 minutes with all green lights and during the day it could take upwards of 1 hour!

Jackrabbit379 06-19-2007 07:15 AM

I drive at night time. I'd rather drive at night, because there is less traffic. The only thing, you may come across a drunk, and the animals are out at night. Freaks, too. :P I also get to sleep in every morning. :P

wally world 06-19-2007 07:22 AM

at night.........thats the best time for wally world

flood 06-19-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driver67373
I don't prefer driving fully in the day or night. I don't like driving all night because I tend to start getting sleep about my 8th to 9th hour. I prefer instead to start my shift between 1-2 in the morning, which puts my 14 being up at 3-4 in the afternoon. This works to my advantage because at that time in the afternoon, normally you won't have any trouble finding a spot in a trucking stop. If I were to drive all day, and start looking for a stop at 8 or 9 at night, you're going to have a lot more difficulty finding a spot. And rest areas can fill up too. And if you've been driving all day and you're really tired, that just compounds the problem even more. Also the hours I drive usually, though not always, allow for most shippers and recievers hours. Well that's what works for me. Just my 2 cents.

Ryan

when i run solo this works best for me also and for the same reasons.

Piece Of Work 06-19-2007 08:39 PM

I prefer the night time because I make greater distance. I drive on a team.

Cluggy619 06-19-2007 09:25 PM

I rather drive at night. I'm local around the D/FW area, so I see alot LESS traffic, and the racks are generally clear, makes for an easy pickup.

golfhobo 06-22-2007 03:54 AM

I drive team, and prefer daytime. I have no problem with traffic, as I "direct" it while running. :lol:

I like to see the scenery. That's ONE reason I got into trucking!

I have no problem driving nights, and might gain ONE mph or so, but I don't want to hit a deer.

I sleep better in a moving truck when I sleep NIGHTS and drive DAYS.

Also, as a "lead driver" I get to do most of the deliveries and pickups during the daylight hours. I am responsible for the loads going out and coming in. If I'm gonna be "responsible" I want to be involved.

Solo drivers take this for granted, but how would you like to go coast to coast, and then let a NOOBIE back into the dock, count the cases, and sign the paperwork??? :shock:

I can make JUST as many miles driving daytime as I, or anyone, can do at night. Driving at night is like driving in a box. Driving during the daytime, I can SEE forever!

I like to SEE the country I live in, and served to protect. Driving at night, I feel as though I've MISSED something!

But, that's just ME! I NEED to SEE the reason I am OUT here!

Hobo

boneebone 06-22-2007 02:48 PM

I like to drive early morning 2am, that way I am done by the afternoon 2-3 pm have plenty of parking at the truck stops. Driving at night is also nicer in the summertime, cooler, don't have the sun beating through your windows.

heavyhaulerss 06-23-2007 05:37 PM

most definately night driving. when i'm in burns harbor in & going to decatur al, i wait til 9 p.m or so.. reasons... hardly any traffic, all scales are almost always closed. can set cruise & keep speed up entire trip. less fuel, cost, cooler out, no a/c needed. not many cb rambo's out. just a more peaceful ride. truck runs cooler too. but winter. I like day driving.

Useless 06-24-2007 03:14 AM

Night time; Definitely!!

No traffic jams, fewer cluster f*ques, zip through large cities, better quality of professional drivers, better time, cooler, no clammoring for non existant parking in a truck stop, no having to back into a tight parking space after being up for 16hrs, and some enjoyable conversations on the C.B.

Too Bad Art Bell doesn't do AM Coast To Coast anymore; I really enjoyed his program.

Time to shut down?? Turn in to the T/S, refuel, post trip, pull into a space, put up the windshields curtains, grab a shower, rethink my logbook perspectives, grab a meal, & hit the sack!!

Time to head out?? wait till rush hour clears if your near a city, take the windshield curtains down, pre-trip, grab some java, then head out!! Other drivers pulling in to fill up the t/s, no prob!!

Useless 06-24-2007 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfhobo
I

I sleep better in a moving truck when I sleep NIGHTS and drive DAYS.

:shock:

Golf,
As for the quality of sleep?? Hell, I slept while I drove!! NO PROBLEM!!!

danj_otr 06-24-2007 03:27 AM

It really depends, if I am going into Metropolitan areas such as LA area (From 210 South and I 15 West), Portland, or Seattle, I will do everything I can to go through during the night time. I don't like driving in traffic and will avoid it at all costs. The only thing that sucks is the fact that I have to idle during the day depending on where I am at, and since we get charged to idle, it can get really bad.

Yeah, sometimes I don't have the choice, but I prefer nights over days.

dieselgrl 06-24-2007 03:42 AM

I'm with golfhobo...I'm solar powered.

I can drive at night, but I've only rarely found I've *had* to. I plan my trips accordingly. I like to see what I'm going to get into and at night darkness plays too great a factor - particularly when foul weather is involved.

I used to run cities like LA or Chicago at night, but lately with all the highway closures they are just as bad no matter what time you go through them. I no longer bother trying to sneak in, and make just as good (or bad) time. :roll:

danj_otr 06-24-2007 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tndieselgrl
I'm with golfhobo...I'm solar powered.

I can drive at night, but I've only rarely found I've *had* to. I plan my trips accordingly. I like to see what I'm going to get into and at night darkness plays too great a factor - particularly when foul weather is involved.

I used to run cities like LA or Chicago at night, but lately with all the highway closures they are just as bad no matter what time you go through them. I no longer bother trying to sneak in, and make just as good (or bad) time. :roll:

The nice thing about running in areas like LA is if you know the freeways, you can get around the construction!

dieselgrl 06-24-2007 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danj_otr

The nice thing about running in areas like LA is if you know the freeways, you can get around the construction!

True that, and I've run enough of LA to know my way around. I just get pissy at the fact they never warn you until you hit the exit you need that the darn thing is shut down :wink:

danj_otr 06-24-2007 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tndieselgrl

True that, and I've run enough of LA to know my way around. I just get pissy at the fact they never warn you until you hit the exit you need that the darn thing is shut down :wink:

Then you get places like Arizona where they warn you 70 miles out of Phoenix that I 10 is closed right where you need to get off the freeway!