Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   hitting backroads to avoid scales (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/27692-hitting-backroads-avoid-scales.html)

Fozzy 06-15-2007 05:01 PM

Dodging scales is just silly! When you get paid shortest straight line distance - 10% anyway, why give more time and money away?!?!?! I've never understood this mentality at all.

chuck3507 06-15-2007 05:53 PM

It has been my experience that the best way to dodge a scale is to have a good poker face and roll right through it. 8)

brian griffin 06-15-2007 06:00 PM

Try calling up the scale(s) in question before you cross them to see if they are open or closed. And, if open, when they will close.

I will be compliling a list of numbers shortly.

Aligator 06-15-2007 06:50 PM

Cost a friend of mine $1100.
But he was waaaaay overweight and obviously dodging the scale.......which, BTW had an "open" sign but no one was there. I guess he found out where they were!

allan5oh 06-15-2007 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian griffin
Try calling up the scale(s) in question before you cross them to see if they are open or closed. And, if open, when they will close.

I will be compliling a list of numbers shortly.

hahahaha that reminds me of a story of a local scale.

Guy called up pretending to be a mennonite, put on the accent real thick.

says "When do you close? Very very heavy today"

So the lady at the scale stayed open for an extra 2-3 hours.

Finally the guy showed up(he was legal of course) went inside and asked if the mennonite rolled through the scale or not!

She was PISSED!

tweety bird 07-02-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy
Dodging scales is just silly! When you get paid shortest straight line distance - 10% anyway, why give more time and money away?!?!?! I've never understood this mentality at all.

Some of us get paid by what we haul, not by the mile...

For GREAT info on the weigh stations Click Here

In some places, they DO have cameras and detection equipment set up on the back roads. You can't just look at the atlas and know. Sometimes there are weight limits, low bridges, back doors into the scale. That's why I have a membership.

boxer4700 07-02-2007 11:29 PM

Only scales that I'm really familiar with are the ones on I-94 at Chesterton, IN. The eastbound ones are almost always opened. The ones on the west bound side have been open a lot lately as well. The deal with the west bound scales is that there used to be a sign saying if it was open or closed but they took it down about six months ago so I always play it safe and roll across them nice and slow like.

Folsom Flash 07-03-2007 10:45 PM

PrePass, just roll right on by.

Fozzy 07-03-2007 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweety bird
Some of us get paid by what we haul, not by the mile...

And? This means that you can drive all over hell and half of Georgia burning up fuel tires and time and magically somehow stay more profitable than someone who can run legal and the shortest route? :shock:

Ian Williams 07-04-2007 08:55 AM

I have another story amusing coop story.

A few months ago when one of our drivers was rolling past the coop in Truckee of WB I80 in CA another line driver said "Con-Way Door 2" on his CB at just the right time as he is rolling past.

So he rolls around to get inspected and once they tell him they did not call him around he realizes he has been had.