Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Swift and Teamsters? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/27482-swift-teamsters.html)

Watcher 06-07-2007 08:25 AM

I have to agree, I seriously doubt that the Teamsters would have anything to do with Swift. Though...it couldn't hurt :lol:

Watcher

Odie 06-07-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird01
:lol: I work for swift and still rofl, there is no way in %^*( that swift will go union. Jerry just bought us out again that is all I know of.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, If the employees of Swift want to vote the union in, Swift does not have any say in the matter??? IIRC, a Union company is union becasue of the employees not, the company bringing them in.

kebo072 06-07-2007 07:17 PM

what's that Heavy?

06-08-2007 12:51 AM

It's too hard to organize OTR drivers because they aren't into pay, bennies, or hometime.

They seem to be more content with things like chicken lights, big radios, fancy lugnut covers, and chrome. Not that there's anything wrong with that stuff - to each their own, as the saying goes. But personally, I'd rather have higher .cpm, better benefits, and more time kicked back at the homestead.

ben45750 06-08-2007 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie
Quote:

:lol: I work for swift and still rofl, there is no way in %^*( that swift will go union. Jerry just bought us out again that is all I know of.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, If the employees of Swift want to vote the union in, Swift does not have any say in the matter??? IIRC, a Union company is union becasue of the employees not, the company bringing them in.

yeah, your right. The employees of Swift would be the ones that would vote.

ben45750 06-08-2007 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
It's too hard to organize OTR drivers because they aren't into pay, bennies, or hometime.

They seem to be more content with things like chicken lights, big radios, fancy lugnut covers, and chrome. Not that there's anything wrong with that stuff - to each their own, as the saying goes. But personally, I'd rather have higher .cpm, better benefits, and more time kicked back at the homestead.

It would also be to hard to organize an industry (OTR Drivers) were the turnover rate is so high.

greg3564 06-08-2007 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben45750
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug

It would also be to hard to organize an industry (OTR Drivers) were the turnover rate is so high.

Over 100 percent turnover rate with almost 18000 drivers spread all over the country. That would be almost impossible.

countryhorseman 06-08-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Swift is now a privately held company, no outside stocks, one person has the say in how, when and how his company is run. If Swift was still publicly held, then yes, the drivers could try and unionize, but I am afraid it would fail miserably.

OOIDA's Land Line Magazine and the Trucker Newspaper have both had articles about the final buy back of all the outstanding stock by Jerry Moyes.

greg3564 06-08-2007 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryhorseman
Quote:

Quote:

Swift is now a privately held company, no outside stocks, one person has the say in how, when and how his company is run. If Swift was still publicly held, then yes, the drivers could try and unionize, but I am afraid it would fail miserably.

OOIDA's Land Line Magazine and the Trucker Newspaper have both had articles about the final buy back of all the outstanding stock by Jerry Moyes.

I think having a union would be better under a private company. At least with most publicly held companies you can pressure management with unfair working conditions through stockholders. I still think it would be next to impossible to organize such a massive company.

countryhorseman 06-08-2007 01:52 AM

The employees of Walmart have failed, numerous attempts to unionize in this country, and they have had some pretty serious ogranizations behind them in the process.

So trying to unionize the drivers of one company, the size of Swift - theoretically impossible.

I would have to research whether or not they could legally try it, without retribution from the owner. Hmm, something more to ponder.

Later