Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   First job offer and no trainer. Am I crazy to accept? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/26643-first-job-offer-no-trainer-am-i-crazy-accept.html)

steverb1 05-02-2007 02:18 AM

First job offer and no trainer. Am I crazy to accept?

Next monday I'm supposed to go OTR for 7 days with a driver observer in the passenger seat. If he says I can drive then I'm hired. It's been 4 months since I completed driving school. Am I going to blow it or do I have a chance? I know my backing up is probably going to be slow until I get more practice. I would have preferred to have a driver trainer but haven't been able to find a company soon enough to take me on. :roll:

Fozzy 05-02-2007 02:20 AM

Heck, most company's trainers are less than observers.. If you feel that you can make this work and the observer is a decent guy, go for it.

jnk2001 05-02-2007 03:36 AM

Re: First job offer and no trainer. Am I crazy to accept?

Quote:

Originally Posted by steverb1
Next monday I'm supposed to go OTR for 7 days with a driver observer in the passenger seat. If he says I can drive then I'm hired. It's been 4 months since I completed driving school. Am I going to blow it or do I have a chance? I know my backing up is probably going to be slow until I get more practice. I would have preferred to have a driver trainer but haven't been able to find a company soon enough to take me on. :roll:

Let ppl know what company this is, a lot of ppl don't like going out with trainers.

flyinphoenix 05-02-2007 05:08 AM

Quote:

Read your own post and figure it out U nozzel.........If your afraid to drive then don't do it!

steverb1 05-02-2007 05:49 AM

Let ppl know what company this is, a lot of ppl don't like going out with trainers.[/quote]

Panu Bros. is the co.
Problem is I have to quit another job first and if They don't think that I'm a good enough driver to be on my own then I just gave up a $25.00 an hr. job for nothing.

They don't want to spend any money out of their own pocket to train new drivers.

jnk2001 05-02-2007 06:26 AM

Quote:

Let ppl know what company this is, a lot of ppl don't like going out with trainers.

Quote:

Panu Bros. is the co.
Problem is I have to quit another job first and if They don't think that I'm a good enough driver to be on my own then I just gave up a $25.00 an hr. job for nothing.

They don't want to spend any money out of their own pocket to train new drivers.

That's 52,000 a yr. No one will guarantee that much in the trucking biz. 52,000 would be pretty much top end. Doubt you'd make that your first year.

05-02-2007 03:01 PM

dude, don't give up 25 dollars an hour...are you crazy?

dle 05-02-2007 03:22 PM

Can you stand to loose half of your pay that you make now? for the next 1-2 years?

I tried a quick search in SAFER for Panu Bros. - couldn't find anything.

Is there a reason you haven't talked to applied to other companies?

I get the impression that you are unsure of this situation yourself - to me thats a good reason to run from it.

Orangetxguy 05-02-2007 09:58 PM

Quote:

Panu Bros. is the co.

They don't want to spend any money out of their own pocket to train new drivers.[/quote]

Steve, are you working in Canada....at Canadian $25.00 an hour?

Pannu Brothers have nice looking equipment for sure...mostly KW t-800's with the 76" aero package I believe....but do you really want to give up that job for them??

Cluggy619 05-03-2007 12:21 AM

If you getting $25/hour, and i don't care what you are doing, stay with that job.

YOUR NOT GOING TO DO BETTER BEING A COMPANY DRIVER!!!!

Now, I know you here talk about drivers making good money....but it's not 25 per hour. Unless you own your truck, you not going to get close.

So now I have to think that your just not happy there. Happiness is very important within a job, so i can see why you want to change careers.

So I guess I will need more info on why you would want to take a huge drop in pay to be a truck driver. And it is a huge drop untill you get a few years in this industry. This is a general statement. There are a few exceptions. Very few.