Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   How is flatbed freight right now? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/25757-how-flatbed-freight-right-now.html)

pogo379 03-20-2007 05:36 PM

How is flatbed freight right now?

Are the flatbedders getting plenty of work right now? I have been a local driver for 2 years now. I make $38k a year which is pretty well maxed out for my company. I have always wanted to try flatbedding, maybe maverick or TMC. Are they going to want me to go thru cdl school again and what's a realistic pay amount to expect from one of these two companies. I know maverick has $52k on their website but I know better than come to expect that. I have driven 8, 9, 10, 13, 18 and automatics. Never any accidents and one speeding ticket a year and a half ago. Thanks

Jimbpard 03-20-2007 06:47 PM

I drive local for an owner operater who runs 3 trucks (mine included), and we are a dedicated hauler for a rebar plant out of Pittsburgh. Its been pretty bad since Christmast, but has recently started to pick up decently in the past month. I still dont think I've had a 40 hour week in months though. Been hittin 32-38 hrs/wk all this month pretty much.
But like I said, we only haul rebar for 1 particular place. I'm sure if we would be willing to take other freight, it would be there.

03-20-2007 07:49 PM

I'm not sure if this helps but I work for myself with my own authority and have no problems finding flatbed loads. It really started to pick up this week with spring coming also.

Useless 03-20-2007 11:04 PM

Based upon what I know, the "Skate Board" sector is rather FLAT!! :P
:oops: :oops: :oops:

pogo379 03-21-2007 05:56 AM

well darn, I guess I had better wait then

inmate1577 03-21-2007 10:21 AM

Been seeing alot of empty flatbeds lately, and thats at the beginning of the week.

stevedb28 03-21-2007 02:24 PM

i dont have any problems getting loads. I havent waited more than 10 minutes from sending an empty call to getting a new load. And its only going to pick up from here. If I was going to get into flatbedding, now is the time. Spring is here and its only going to pick up. If you wait until summer, by time you get done with training, it will be late summer

Jackrabbit379 03-21-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless
Based upon what I know, the "Skate Board" sector is rather FLAT!! :P
:oops: :oops: :oops:

they get a lot of flat rates. :P :lol: :?

GoldiesPlating 03-21-2007 08:29 PM

Re: How is flatbed freight right now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogo379
Are the flatbedders getting plenty of work right now? I have been a local driver for 2 years now. I make $38k a year which is pretty well maxed out for my company. I have always wanted to try flatbedding, maybe maverick or TMC. Are they going to want me to go thru cdl school again and what's a realistic pay amount to expect from one of these two companies. I know maverick has $52k on their website but I know better than come to expect that. I have driven 8, 9, 10, 13, 18 and automatics. Never any accidents and one speeding ticket a year and a half ago. Thanks

52,000 is NOT unreasonable. Our guys at TMC range between $45,000-$60,000 per year. I'm currently making $1100.00 per week and am on a dedicated run. Home daily and weekends. OTR guys make more. I've seen no shortage of freight. Some guys have. Regardless, NOW it's picking up and in the end, when all the beans are counted, you're going to make around $50,000 in 12 months.

GoldiesPlating 03-21-2007 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedb28
i dont have any problems getting loads. I havent waited more than 10 minutes from sending an empty call to getting a new load. And its only going to pick up from here. If I was going to get into flatbedding, now is the time. Spring is here and its only going to pick up. If you wait until summer, by time you get done with training, it will be late summer

End of the SUMMER? Maybe for Maverick who has a 2-3 month WAIT. It's just turned SPRING. TMC training for an experienced driver is 2-4 weeks including orientation and training OTR.