Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   13 speed transmission shift pattern (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/24400-13-speed-transmission-shift-pattern.html)

armadillo 01-31-2007 04:06 AM

13 speed transmission shift pattern

can someone tell me what it is? or know where a good picture is? thanks a

PackRatTDI 01-31-2007 09:07 AM

Re: 13 speed transmission shift pattern

Quote:

Originally Posted by armadillo
can someone tell me what it is? or know where a good picture is? thanks a

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-...03/13speed.jpg

armadillo 01-31-2007 03:07 PM

oh THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A MILLION THANKS!!

armadillo 01-31-2007 04:31 PM

I ask because

I was looking on EBAY for a "plate" for a friend/gift and there is one that looked more like a 15 speed and the seller swears its a 13 spd. EATON he claims....a

PackRatTDI 01-31-2007 05:36 PM

Re: I ask because

Quote:

I was looking on EBAY for a "plate" for a friend/gift and there is one that looked more like a 15 speed and the seller swears its a 13 spd. EATON he claims....a

It was probably for the old Eaton 6613 transmission so he's not pulling your leg. That was an oddball from transmission years back that had a pattern similar to the Eaton 15 speed (10 speed with double reduction low-low range) but because of the same type of overlapping ratios, it had 13 available progressive ratios. The shift knob had a traditional high-low range shift and a thumb switch on the knob for shifting back and forth from double reduction.

You shifted it like this:

DR1-DR2-DR3-DR4-DR5-(shift thumb switch from DR to low)-3-4-5 (range change)6-7-8-9-10

or

DR1-DR2-DR3-(shift thumb switch from DD to low)-1-2-3-4-5 (range change) 6-7-8-9-10.

This is similar to the way the Eaton 15 speed is shifted, except the 15 speed only has 12 progressive ratios, instead of 13. The 6613 went out of production about 20 years ago. The proper plate for a regular 13 speed would look like the one I posted above.

It's interesting that Eaton chose to call it's 15 speed transmissions "15 speed" despite the fact that you could only truly get 12 speeds out of it. :lol: :lol:

FWIW, Eaton used to use a 3 position splitter button for the 13 speed instead of the 2 position/range change that we're more familiar with today. The 3 positions were "Low", "Direct" and "Overdrive". The extra "low" position took place of the range change button. When you went from "Low" range to "High" range, you shifted the button from "Low" in 4th to "Direct" in 5th, then proceeded to split gears 5 through 8 shifting between "Direct" and "Overdrive". :shock:

armadillo 01-31-2007 05:50 PM

WHOA!

ALL THAT SHIFTEN WENT RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. But thanks so much for your knowledge and time to type it out. much appreciated!!a

PackRatTDI 01-31-2007 06:12 PM

Re: WHOA!

Quote:

ALL THAT SHIFTEN WENT RIGHT OVER MY HEAD. But thanks so much for your knowledge and time to type it out. much appreciated!!a

LOL. It's my day off and I have nothing else to do. :)

Splitter 01-31-2007 06:19 PM

As I've only driven 9, and 10 speeds. What would be the benefit of a 13 speed, over a 10 speed?

PackRatTDI 01-31-2007 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splitter
As I've only driven 9, and 10 speeds. What would be the benefit of a 13 speed, over a 10 speed?

More flexibility. A 17% split between gears in a 13 speed makes it easier to keep the engine running in it's efficient sweet spot range than a 35% step on a 9 or 10 speed.

Splitter 01-31-2007 07:17 PM

Thank you very much for the explanation. As with anything, I guess it just requires practice.

millersod215 01-31-2007 09:42 PM

you see a lot of heavy haulers running the 13 or 18 speed transmissions, i've hauled equipment in the past with 9, 10, and 13 speed transmissions, and the 13 just makes it a bit easier, especially with those really heavy loads, i don't know how to type it out to make sense, it just works better :D

BanditsCousin 01-31-2007 10:25 PM

13 spd adds a few pounds to the overall weight but is well worth it.

By allowing you to split gears, its easier on the drivetrain and can save mpg when used righ by selecting a more appropriate gear.

armadillo 01-31-2007 10:30 PM

oj- LIKE OJ SIMPSON NO!!!!

FOR previous reply

DO you mean OJ SIMPSON? He drove truck?? No way.

I know he DID IT!! Or is that what you mean??
a

BanditsCousin 01-31-2007 10:32 PM

Re: oj- LIKE OJ SIMPSON NO!!!!

Quote:

FOR previous reply DO you mean OJ SIMPSON? please tell me you dont.

a

I don't know of any other OJ :wink:

Its a random nothingness, its not meant to reflect a strong personal belief :)

But, C'mon, who writes a book about how you would kill your ex? :lol:

armadillo 01-31-2007 10:44 PM

OH OK ....THOUGHT YOU MEANT

THAT HE DROVE TRUCK. IMPOSSIBLE. DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THAT BIG *^%^#*&( JERK!!!!

MY BROTHER LIVES IN IDAHO SAW THE ONE ATTORNEY THAT QUIT AND SPLIT TOWN AFTER IT WAS ALL SAID AND DONE (FORGOT HIS NAME- MARK? ) AND MY brother walked up to him and said We all know OJ did it and the guy notted his head yes and walked away...huh . How does he sleep at night. ? HES a jerk too!!!

Kranky 01-31-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

HES a jerk too!!!
Yup, but he's a RICH jerk!!!!!

Birken Vogt 02-01-2007 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
FWIW, Eaton used to use a 3 position splitter button for the 13 speed instead of the 2 position/range change that we're more familiar with today. The 3 positions were "Low", "Direct" and "Overdrive". The extra "low" position took place of the range change button. When you went from "Low" range to "High" range, you shifted the button from "Low" in 4th to "Direct" in 5th, then proceeded to split gears 5 through 8 shifting between "Direct" and "Overdrive". :shock:

FWIW again, they have actually used the 3 position knob for the "old" (6613, deep reduction) 13 speed, as well as using it on the "modern" style (9 speed + split), or sometimes they used the old range valve plus thumb button on either of them. i.e. on the old style the range valve would be just like a 10 speed and the thumb button would be for deep reduction. On the new style the range valve is like a 9 speed and the button is the splitter. Don't get them mixed up! The only combination I am not aware of is the old 6613 with the modern style ergonomic combination knob and handle with the paddle for range but I bet somebody retrofitted one along the way! The old 13 speed could also have the deep reduction on the dash like a 15 speed and just a range valve! Also a 3 position knob could be used for the 3 speed rear axle (tandems) but if you've still got one of those best to modify it to 2 speeds only so you don't destroy the power divider

Birken

Orangetxguy 02-01-2007 03:10 AM

PackRat and Birken....did you ever drive the 5 & 4's?? They were common in Mack's...way back when..but International, Ken and Pete all used them as well. I drove an International in 80 that was set up with a 5 & 4 with a 2-speed browning in the back...great old wench truck.....used the 5 & $ for powering the main wench..with the 2 speed in neutral. Pulled many a piece of equipment out of the mud with it.

:rock:

PackRatTDI 02-01-2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birken Vogt
Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI

FWIW again, they have actually used the 3 position knob for the "old" (6613, deep reduction) 13 speed, as well as using it on the "modern" style (9 speed + split), or sometimes they used the old range valve plus thumb button on either of them. i.e. on the old style the range valve would be just like a 10 speed and the thumb button would be for deep reduction. On the new style the range valve is like a 9 speed and the button is the splitter. Don't get them mixed up! The only combination I am not aware of is the old 6613 with the modern style ergonomic combination knob and handle with the paddle for range but I bet somebody retrofitted one along the way! The old 13 speed could also have the deep reduction on the dash like a 15 speed and just a range valve! Also a 3 position knob could be used for the 3 speed rear axle (tandems) but if you've still got one of those best to modify it to 2 speeds only so you don't destroy the power divider

Birken

Put one of todays cookie cutter driver with their autoshift transmission in one of those trucks and they'd go crying home to momma.

Kranky 02-01-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
....did you ever drive the 5 & 4's?? They were common in Mack's...
:rock:

The first 10 years or so of my career that's all I drove was B model & early DM macks with the 5x4 quadruplex transmission. At that time I was working in the hills of CT and NY state driving dump trucks & moving heavy equipment with a RGN lowbed.

In those working conditions, and with the limited horsepower those old trucks had, you got good at split shifting the quad box with 2 hands real quick, cause the operating range of the engine was 1500 to 2100 rpm's,and you could not lug those engines down or they'd self destruct.

After a little practice I got so I could do 2 hand downshifts & upshifts just as smooth as an automatic.

Actually that's where the screen name "Splitshifter" came from - it was my CB handle back in the 70's.

IMHO, the quadruplex was the greatest transmission ever produced.
It's too bad that Mack didn't see fit to design a triple countershaft version of it to handle the high torque of todays engines.

If I had a choice of driving a truck with a "modern" transmission (9, 10, 13, or 18 speed Fuller), or a truck with a quadruplex 5x4, I'd take the quadruplex anyday. 8)

armadillo 02-01-2007 02:02 PM

can you explain.....

I know you can with all your knowledge...
JUST -by LOOKING at the pattern (pictured) of the eaton 13 speed, it doesnt look as if you GET 13 spds, please explain so my girly friend can sleep at night. thanks a

PackRatTDI 02-01-2007 02:10 PM

Re: can you explain.....

Quote:

JUST -by LOOKING at the pattern (pictured) of the eaton 13 speed, it doesnt look as if you GET 13 spds, please explain so my girly friend can sleep at night. thanks a

When you split the high gears, 5-8, you get 8 gears (5 low, 5 high, 6 low, 6 high and so on)
Add to that gears 1-4 on the plus the "Low" gear, you get 13 total speeds. It's actually more of a 12+1 transmission.

armadillo 02-01-2007 03:51 PM

ok well....

this isnt Arm, this is the friend asking...

I dont drive but I was wondering how you get to the high 5,6,7,8 once you click over to reg 5,6,7, ? my friend says its for different road conditions is when you use it. But confused about how to get to "high" once you shift over. I guess if I drove I would understand??? Kelly

PackRatTDI 02-01-2007 04:04 PM

Re: ok well....

Quote:

this isnt Arm, this is the friend asking...

I dont drive but I was wondering how you get to the high 5,6,7,8 once you click over to reg 5,6,7, ? my friend says its for different road conditions is when you use it. But confused about how to get to "high" once you shift over. I guess if I drove I would understand??? Kelly

You flip the thumb "splitter" switch on the shift knob. On here it's the red switch.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/i/06/9d/7c/19_1.JPG

Push it forward to split from low to high. Push it rearward to split from high to low. When you split the gears, you don't shift the lever, just use the splitter button. However, in a 13 speed, the splitter button needs to be in low before you range shift into low range (gears 1-4).

armadillo 02-01-2007 04:14 PM

say if you are already thru all the gears why do you split? maybe that is where Im lost. What is the other switch on that knob (black one) ? Kelly

ssoutlaw 02-01-2007 04:24 PM

Re: can you explain.....

Quote:

You do have 13 forward gears on the 13 speed!
On the low side, you have a 5 speed pattern, where 1st is low gear.
When you split to high you are using a 4 speed pattern and don't use the low gear position again.

So you have 1 - 5 on the low side.
4 gears in direct.
4 gears in overdrive.
For a grand total of 13 forward gears!

ssoutlaw 02-01-2007 04:41 PM

Quote:

say if you are already thru all the gears why do you split? maybe that is where Im lost. What is the other switch on that knob (black one) ? Kelly

The black switch is the Low - High range selector.
The red thumb switch is the direct - overdrive selector.
When you shift through the 5 low gears, you then raise the black range selector then start shifting the same 5 speed pattern but you forget the 1st gear slot and instead use the second gear slot, now this will be 6Th gear. when you shift to 7Th you simply move the red selector to the right. Now to go to 8Th, shift the gearshift straight down and at the same time move the red selector to the left and repeat this action. Its harder in IMO to tell you how to do this, than it is to do it...lol Look at the plate picture the other poster posted it will show you exactly how to shift this transmission.

PackRatTDI 02-01-2007 05:10 PM

Ok lets start with a typical 9 speed.

Start in low, making sure the range change switch, the larger black one, is in the down position, or low.

Shift lever to 1st,

Shift lever to second,

Shift lever to third,

shift lever to 4th,

and just before you shift again, you pull the range change switch to the high position, then shift into the 1st position again, which is now 5th,

then shift to 6th,

then to 7th,

and finally to 8th.

While it's called a 9 speed it's more like an 8 speed plus low.

Now with a 13 speed.

Start in low, making sure the range change switch is in the low position and the red splitter button is in the rearward position.

Shift lever to 1st,

Shift lever to second,

Shift lever to third,

shift lever to 4th,

and just before you shift again, you pull the range change switch, the larger black one to the high position, then shift into the 1st position again, which is now 5th.

With the red button in the rearward position, you are in 5th low.

To get 5th high, you move the red button forward, release the accelerator and let the RPM's match until it shifts into 5th high.

Before shifting into 6th, move the red button to the rear and move the lever into 6th, this is now 6th low.

To get 6th high, you move the button forward, release the accelerator and let the rpms match until it shifts into 6th high.

Before shifting into 7th, move the red button to the rear and move the lever into 7th. this is now 7th low.

To get 7th high, you move the button forward, release the accelerator and let the rpms match until it shifts into 7th high.

Before shifting into 8th, move the red button to the rear and move the lever into into 8th, this is now 8th low.

To get 8th high, you move the button forward, release the accelerator and let the rpms match until it shifts into 8th high.

You DON'T move the shift lever to shift betwen the 5-8 low and high gears, you shift with the splitter button.

Thats how you get 13 speeds.

ssoutlaw 02-01-2007 05:22 PM

Why confuse him with the 8 +1 and the 12 + 1!
These transmissions are 13 and 9 forward gears!

armadillo 02-01-2007 06:22 PM

whoa

WOW, im sticking with my vw bug. My boyfirend was going to try to teach me but im not that excited about it now. that looks crazy !! thanks for leting me try to comprehend it though very nice teachers.!!!KELLY

BanditsCousin 02-01-2007 06:26 PM

Its not that hard, belive it or not. You can drive it like an 8-speed if you really want, then adapt to splitting the uppers as needed.

If you drive a stick bug, think of it like this-

1,2,3 are normal, but lets say you have a 4, 4.5, 5, and 5.5 as well.

So, lets say you are in 5th, and don't necessarily want/need 4th- well, you can go into 4.5 (in between 4 and 5) or you can still go into 4th if you desire. Its literally the flip of a button, and looks a LOT more intimidating than it seems.

armadillo 02-01-2007 07:02 PM

low/high ?

Do you always "have to" use low/high or just in the hills or different driving conditions- I live in the hills?? Or if you are going down freeway just stay on one side? huh will I confuse myself more by asking that? well see ahaha

PackRatTDI 02-01-2007 07:18 PM

Re: low/high ?

Quote:

Do you always "have to" use low/high or just in the hills or different driving conditions- I live in the hills?? Or if you are going down freeway just stay on one side? huh will I confuse myself more by asking that? well see ahaha

You can use it at any time but it would really be useful in the hills. But for most driving you can probably skip splitting each gear until you get to 8th, then split to 8th high when cruising.

For example: Eaton discourages extended cruising in 8th low because that position sends the power through two sets of gears (0.73 overdrive in the main box and a 1.17 underdrive splitter gear) and having the transmission run through both gear sets can generate excessive heat.

Kranky 02-01-2007 07:53 PM

Re: low/high ?

Quote:

The bottom line with this or any other type of transmission is that at any given road speed you must use the proper gear to keep your engine RPM's in the proper operating range.

ssoutlaw 02-01-2007 08:09 PM

Re: whoa

Quote:

WOW, im sticking with my vw bug. My boyfirend was going to try to teach me but im not that excited about it now. that looks crazy !! thanks for leting me try to comprehend it though very nice teachers.!!!KELLY

Its not a hard as it looks, its harder to explain though...lol

armadillo 02-01-2007 10:01 PM

oh ok well Ill try it ... one day.

Thanks so much, for your time. Kelly and arm.