Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   CB On Your Small Car? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/24194-cb-your-small-car.html)

HorsePower 01-24-2007 04:49 PM

CB On Your Small Car?

Do any of you have a CB on your small car?
I don't drive a truck right now, nor will I drive one for a while, but I am thinking about installing a CB radio on my sedan. This way, I can tune in to the truckers spam.

:?:

Jackrabbit379 01-24-2007 04:58 PM

I have a 2002 Chevrolet pickup. I take my radio with me if I am going to Ft Worth to see the family there,or when I am going to Ft Smith. I have family there,too. I have a Little Wil magnet antenna that I set on top of the cab. That little booger works just as good as my Francis Hot Rod antennas on my truck that I drive every night. There is a guy named,Rusty in Bowie,TX that has a CB shop. Dang good,too. I have been wanting to get him to install everything,but I havent had the time,or money. I would go for it. Not many folks run radios in their cars much these days.

HorsePower 01-24-2007 05:19 PM

wait a minute...

'magnet antenna'?

do you need any wiring for that, going from the radio itself to the antenna?

:?:

YoungZ.W. 01-24-2007 05:29 PM

Yeah I got one. I use the cheap Uniden 510 model, with a magnet antenna and just run the antenna wire through the seats and out the backdoor. The Uniden 510 is inexpensive and hows worked well so far.

Sheepdancer 01-24-2007 05:31 PM

I do have a CB in my Jeep but I really only use it when Im out on the trails offroad. If I ever started using it other than that, I would probably end up being one of those immature weirdos on the CB, who sings, makes fun of everyone, and probably even does the old red panties thing. Im just strange like that. So out of respect for the professional driver, I just avoid turning it on.

Cripplecreek 01-24-2007 05:41 PM

I have a Cobra 19 ultra2 in my 85 GMC dually. I got a custom overhead dash panel out of the junkyard for 10 bucks and put a couple 50 watt 1" speakers in it for my stereo and put the CB up there also. The Cobra was around $40 at Wal-Mart, it's good enough for me. I have a 18" fiberglass radio shack antenna mounted an my mirror bracket. Since then I found a realistic Cb at a thrift store that I'm going to put in, it's a lot cooler, you can change channels with buttons on the mic. it came with a magnet antenna holder. My GF's brother said it will blow off the truck ,but i doubt it, the magnets pretty strong.

Useless 01-24-2007 06:17 PM

Have not had one in my POV since the late 1970's. Have no use for one these days!! Besides that, there really is no place to install one in my car.

MADLUX 01-24-2007 08:50 PM

I got a cobra 19 in my Ford Escape, with an 20' magnet mount antenna on mine, works good for me

HorsePower 01-24-2007 09:13 PM

my car is a 2007. I don't want to drill any holes :shock:

Can I keep the antenna inside? :shock:

Mr. Ford95 01-24-2007 10:03 PM

Get a magnetic one and run the wire into the car thru the doorjam. Won't have to drill any holes on your exterior.

I run a Cobra 29 in my S-10 all the time. Our local radio has no idea about traffic tie-ups and that gives me an excellent heads up so I can juke around them along with it's ability to give me weather info. Drilled 4 small holes in my rear bumper, hooked a 4 ft fiberglass antenna to that and ran the wire up under my bed along the frame rail. Used a pre-drilled hole under my jumpseat to get into the cab. That pre-drilled hole is not in all S-10 models, only mine because I put it there for other wires I had running into my bed. :D Then hid the rest of the wires under my carpet and mounted the radio on my center console down along the passenger floorboard. Took all of 2 hours to do.