Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Starting school at Swift in Richmond, Virginia Dec. 11 (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/22776-starting-school-swift-richmond-virginia-dec-11-a.html)

CajunNVirginia 12-03-2006 11:41 PM

Starting school at Swift in Richmond, Virginia Dec. 11

I will be starting at Swift's training academy in Richmond, Va Dec.11. I will only be required to work for Swift for 6 months to pay back my training, because I am starting the 11th. If you start school on the 4th or the 11th is what this "special" is for and I will make sure I get in writing! Another thing is that I live in Richmond and will not have to stay in one of those school motels that everyone complains about. Swift also has terminal here in Richmond, so I am hoping it will be easy to get a decent trainer. Anyone ever trained in Richmond for Swift? Any words of advice?

evertruckerr 12-04-2006 12:30 AM

You will find that Swift has perfected the art of screwing their drives. I think they actually list their drives as a source of income. They will short you ever chance they get. They will refuse to pay you detention pay, breakdown pay an layover pay. Never with an explanation. Usually your fleet manager will tell you "I'll do what I can" and that will be the end of it.

With that said, this is a pay your dues kind of job. If you can get Swift to put you thru training and call it square after 6 months, not too bad. Better than paying ATI $7500 for the same CDL. You don't learn anything in Truck Driving School anyway. The actual learning happens on the road.

Consider this a short term job, put in your 6 months and get out. There are a number a companies that will hire with 6 months, and once you get to 1 year almost any company will hire.

When the time come keep Crete in mind. They will actually hire you with 4 months exp, but you will have to run with a trainer again. But once you are on your own you will be at 40cpm(41cpm with 1yr). That is unheard of money for a 1st year driver and it beats the hell out of what Swift is going to be paying you.

Best of Luck

Remember, we all have to start somewhere, and that is what Swift counts on to fill it's seats

shyykatt 12-04-2006 12:48 AM

gotta agree- swift is a good place to start, but not anything to base your career on.

BigBird01 12-04-2006 02:01 AM

You might want to check with Swift again about being square after 6 months. Last I knew you had to stay 13 months to be out of it. And it is not free unless you stay another 13 months. At the end of your first 13 months you paid out of your pocket 1,950.00 half of the 3900. That is $37.50 a week, for 13 months. Then the next 13 months you get the 37.50 back a week in your check. If you quit before the first 13 months then the 3900.00 balance is owed. Unless they changed things in the last year that is how there contract is.

About detention and layover pay, I have only had a problem with that once. And my dispatcher took care of it and it was on the next weeks check.

CajunNVirginia 12-04-2006 09:11 AM

Swift is running a two week special for the 6 months because they are having problems getting students over Christmas and New Years. I will check with the recruiter once again.

CajunNVirginia 12-04-2006 07:20 PM

I got a call this morning from those LOW-LIFE LYING SCUMBAGS, otherwise known as Swift Transport saying that the 6 month offer was not available now and that I would have to drive for them for 13 months to not owe them and 26 to get all the $3900 back! What kind of company is this? I told SWIFT TO KISS MY BIG %#&!!! Are there any legit reputable comapnies to train with and have a career with? Anybody that works for Swift is crazy as hell!!! :evil:

Justruckin 12-04-2006 08:13 PM

Welcome to the wild wild world of trucking!

Your learning fast!

My recommendation to you, would be to find a way to pay for your own trucking school. They have all sorts of programs out there that won't break the bank. Just call a reputable school, and they will help you out and put you on a payment plan.

My step son's payment is 47.50 a month at 2% interest. I know, because I am the schlep paying it.

WildK9 12-04-2006 08:17 PM

Re: Starting school at Swift in Richmond, Virginia Dec. 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunNVirginia
I will be starting at Swift's training academy in Richmond, Va Dec.11.

I'm sorry. BOL in whatever you do! :wink:

shyykatt 12-04-2006 08:19 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
read my mind :lol:

MADLUX 12-04-2006 08:53 PM

Get a hold of Tidewater community college in portsmouth, if you dont mind driving to there every day. There course cost $1300, they have night and day classes also.