Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   gear for the road (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/22206-gear-road.html)

iowarider 11-12-2006 03:51 PM

gear for the road

Just a thought. I am one of many newbies going on the road. How to pack and what to take is pretty much a guess. Any little tricks you have picked up along the way, either for comfort or money savings would be appreciated.

Example, I was told about "military rolling" clothes before putting them in luggage. Amazing I could get a lot more clothes in a smaller bag doing that and in the 30 days i was on the road a year ago, I do no every inch is spoken for in a sleeper.

BigDawg 11-12-2006 04:32 PM

here is a basic list to take, some of items will have to be eliminated such as TV and Micro.you get the picture.good luck

http://www.newbiedriver.com/articles...e_With_You.htm

iowarider 11-13-2006 02:21 AM

Thanks, I have that book and it is really worth the money.

11-13-2006 06:16 AM

I'm not that good at searching but some woman posted what to pack and she had everthing listed and I mean EVERYTHING!!!

whodat54321 11-13-2006 08:08 AM

sometimes it depends on who you are working for and what
facilities are or are not available where you are going. money is
another. i found during my mentoring period, i could travel very,
very light (as i could only bring what i could stow in a bunk), but
that meant i would be living on truck stop food and doing laundry
much more often. this was expensive. now that i'm solo, i can carry
more clothing and carry food, as i share the truck with nobody.
just food expenses alone save me quite a bit of money so far,
not to mention that i can eat lighter, not what's quick, as i am
not running stack team and having to hurry like i was during training.
duct tape, a cheap set of open end wrenches, a couple of vise grips,
wire strippers, test leads, a dvm (yes, i have an electronics background),
a tire gague, and a dead blow hammer are all i carry right now, although
i'm sure i could use more.

One 11-13-2006 08:08 AM

That list has the right idea, but you need 4 porters to carry all the stuff :lol:
Beware of the ingredients of some painrelievers, you may be surprised what substances are banned for us. Dont bring mouthwash either- now that I think of it I better not bring mine anymore :shock:

BigDawg 11-13-2006 05:19 PM

Quote:

Dont bring mouthwash either- now that I think of it I better not bring mine anymore
hey One Crest has that new one out called Crest Pro-Health Alcohol Free so that should be ok to use.

iowarider 11-13-2006 06:48 PM

hey ONE,
can you go into a bit of detail on those pain relievers to avoid? My pain reliever of choice is Excedrin. half aspirin, half Tylenol and a fair bit of caffeine are its ingredients. I'm guessing sudefed containing stuff might be off limits, but where can I get more specific information? Thanks.

iowarider 11-13-2006 06:51 PM

[quote="whodat54321"

Makes sense to me. Could be healthier as well, but then again, package of hot dogs, and a can of soup and I'm good. :D

acranger 11-13-2006 08:49 PM

[quote=iowarider][quote="whodat54321"

Makes sense to me. Could be healthier as well, but then again, package of hot dogs, and a can of soup and I'm good. :D[/quote]

Before I joined the army I had lived in a house with some buddies and food took a backseat to beer and smokes. Top Ramen and Kool Aid dude. Not the most healthy diet, but I eat to live, not live to eat. I was eating for about 20 bucks a week.

My beer bill was substantially higher.