Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   What can I expect in "Oreintation"? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/22188-what-can-i-expect-oreintation.html)

New2This 11-11-2006 06:54 PM

What can I expect in "Oreintation"?

As my username impiles I AM new to all of this...I haven't yet applied to any company just yet. I know each has their own differences....BUT....just what is an "oreintation" and what can I expect? Thanks for any reply.....New

Sealord 11-12-2006 12:38 AM

Orientation

Quick and dirty - fill out lots of paperwork, drug test, physical, fill out lots of paperwork, logbook drills, safety videos, fill out lots of paperwork, check ride, learn company system for maintenance, fueling, tolls, comms, etc., fill out lots of paperwork, and sit an wait.
Or do an archives search here. BOL

Aligator 11-12-2006 02:02 AM

Orientation for my company took about two hours....then I left to join my trainer.
Some companies take days.....they make you watch movies, etc.

New2This 11-12-2006 03:37 PM

Sealord...sorry I didn't realize that there was an archival database...will search there from now on.Paperwork? No Way...lol Thanks guys for the info.

GoldiesPlating 11-14-2006 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aligator
Orientation for my company took about two hours....then I left to join my trainer.

:shock: :shock: :shock: no comment.

11-15-2006 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aligator

:shock: :shock: :shock: no comment.

Hey. that was a comment!

The Killer Rabbit 11-15-2006 03:44 AM

Roehl chained us to the wall in some basement, made us watch movies, sick movies, force fed us, threw us into a truck, said have atr around town, call if we get in trouble, whipped and beat us numerous times, threw heavy things at us if we made mistakes then sent me off with some trainer called fast eddie.

TKR

btw Im kidding

JBenson2 11-15-2006 03:57 AM

The videos can be instructive, especially if there is a discussion about the video. We watched a video of rollovers. The discussion covered the underlying reasons. The usual cause was excessive speed, but other causes were due to cutting a corner too closely with a muddy drop off, other causes involved surge in tankers, and swinging meat in reefers. Yes, they can be gruesome, but they make a strong point.

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-15-2006 10:16 AM

Re: What can I expect in "Oreintation"?

What can I expect in "Oreintation"?

Lies ...And...DECEPTION ... :wink:

11-15-2006 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG JEEP on 44's

Like what? You can have a keg of beer in your truck?

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-15-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:

No Like A general smoke blowing up ones ANAL orifice . Hows about a new Avatar... CRKHD :wink:

And like I said... one can expect LIES...AND...DECEPTION during orientation :wink:

Commonly heard Lies start like this...

Our average length of haul is ...
We offer top pay...
We value our drivers...
Our drivers are our number one commitment ...

He did ask what to expect in orientation RIGHT ...And I think for most that remember orientation with a large carrier most would agree ...LIES...AND...DECEPTION ...Can be EXPECTED :wink:

11-15-2006 11:48 AM

Quote:

No Like A general smoke blowing up ones Annul orifice .

Not sure what that means?

One entry found for annul.

1 : to reduce to nothing : OBLITERATE
2 : to make ineffective or inoperative : NEUTRALIZE
3 : to declare or make legally invalid or void <wants the marriage annulled>
synonym see NULLIFY

BIG JEEP on 44's 11-15-2006 12:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No Like A general smoke blowing up ones Annul orifice .

Not sure what that means?

One entry found for annul.

1 : to reduce to nothing : OBLITERATE
2 : to make ineffective or inoperative : NEUTRALIZE
3 : to declare or make legally invalid or void <wants>
synonym see NULLIFY

Well I seemed to have made a TYPO...But I'll use both in a brief sentence ...as it seems you had a hard time figuring out what was being said...

Yes I had to have my marriage with ...X...Mega carrier ANNULLED due to CONSTANT unwanted advances for ANAL ... :wink:

11-15-2006 12:09 PM

:D :D :D

New2This 11-15-2006 02:30 PM

:lol: WAYYYY too funny BJ on 44's. So THAT'S all I have to do to get an ex-whatever....Lmao

WildK9 11-15-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cripplecreek 11-15-2006 02:42 PM

Tons of paperwork, drug test, physical, driving test, eye exam, videos. Be prepared to go out immedietly if they find you a trainer, if not you may be sent home till they find you one, or greyhound you to another city to meet up with your trainer.

New2This 11-15-2006 02:56 PM

Thanks CrippleCreek...My only other question is...How long do they keep you? Hours...Days...A Week?

larryh31 11-15-2006 03:08 PM

Most companies will keep you in orientation from 2 to 7 days. After that you will be off with a trainer if your a rookie or off solo if you have experience.

Just ask the recruiter from the companies that you are interested in how long theirs is. Also don't forget to ask is it a "paid" or "unpaid" orientation.

New2This 11-15-2006 03:27 PM

Thanks Larry....thought so. Didn't think to ask the recruiters good idea.

Cripplecreek 11-15-2006 06:34 PM

Mine was unpaid orientation for 3 days, they provided a motel room, which you will probably have to share with another potential driver. The motel provided a continental breakfast free of charge, no bacon,eggs,or potatoes, but coffee, sweet rolls ,donuts. Lunchtime we would all load up in a van and went to a buffet free of charge, which i ate as much as i could because you were returned back to the motel around 5-5:30 and it was up to you to pay for your own dinner. Of course if you live close enough to orientation terminal none of that matters, i lived 3 hours away and it didn't make sense to go back and forth for 3 days, and if you drive your own car they will probably let you leave it in thier lot and after the first few weeks out with trainer you can get back to your home terminal get in your car and get home right away.

GoldiesPlating 11-15-2006 06:53 PM

See how truckers get silly? lololol You guys are nuckinfuts.

larryh31 11-15-2006 07:22 PM

Also, forgot to mention that you are not officially "hired" until after orientation. Several of your classmates will be sent home for failing the physical, drug test, etc. Bring extra cash with you. Most companies will not pay your way home if you get kicked out during orientation.

Don't get caught drinking and partying in the motel. You are there to get a job, not party. You will get sent home for this.

New2This 11-15-2006 07:37 PM

Hey Goldiesplating...???????? An honest question.
Thanks again Larry/CopperCreek...I WAS worried about the return trip being paid or not. Wasn't worried about the drug/felony things but I was curious just in case they don't hire you.

Cripplecreek 11-15-2006 07:46 PM

Larry you know the gig, notice how i said probably have to share a room with a codriver, my roomate got kicked out the first day for some unmentioned misdemeanor, then i had the room to myself. And yes thats very important, even if it's unpaid orientation, and orientation is over, and you drink a couple beers, in the motel on your "off hours" , thats a no-no, becuase as it was explained to me, anytime you are "under company hospices,you are subject to their rules" even after you become a driver and they have to put you up in a motel for a equpiment breakdown ,34 hour reset etc.

GoldiesPlating 11-15-2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New2This
Hey Goldiesplating...???????? An honest question.
Thanks again Larry/CopperCreek...I WAS worried about the return trip being paid or not. Wasn't worried about the drug/felony things but I was curious just in case they don't hire you.

There was a guy there who got tossed for admitting drug use. He was sent home with a driver in a truck going his way as a passenger. I'm not sure how else it is handled. I BELIEVE a bus ticket is issued. If you COMPLETE orientation and have to go home to meet your trainer, a rental car is provided. Once hired by TMC, your Grey Hound days are over.