Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Afraid of Heights (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21849-afraid-heights.html)

quito12 11-02-2006 02:23 AM

Afraid of Heights

I'm getting ready to go OTR in a couple of days. I'm nervous about many things, but the main thing is I'm afraid of heights and am worried how I'll react to driving way up on a mountain.

A lot of you guys out there afraid of heights and if so how do you deal with it?

whodat54321 11-02-2006 02:31 AM

i get skittish looking down the side of a building, but i like mountain driving.
it's much more challenging managing your speed, etc. than driving on the
flats, and the views in utah and colorado are spectacular.

i found a bit of fear of heights make me drive better on downgrades, because
i KNOW when i'm going down a hill, posted or not. it's not the fear of heights
or fear of falling.

it's that sudden stop at the end that sucks.

11-02-2006 06:11 AM

It's not like the highways you will be driving on are right on the edge of a 3000 foot drop. Coming down Mt Rose from Tahoe is a little scary but I don't think trucks are allowed to use that route.

Kintama 11-02-2006 06:47 AM

Loveland Pass is the scariest one of them all!! Ice and Snow with a shear drop with no guard rail :shock:

aintgotone 11-02-2006 06:50 AM

You should be ok. There are not alot of places where you will see over the side. Just take a deep breath and try to stay calm.

Malaki86 11-02-2006 09:23 AM

I've got issues with height also. The only time it bothers be is when I'm on a high bridge, such as the big harbor crossings on the Cheasepeak (sp) Bay. The New River Gorge Bridge on US 19 in WV is rough for me too. I almost always end up in the inside lane going across that one.

Hills/Mountains, nah - they don't bother me a bit. Coming down or going up I77 at the NC/VA border (can't think of the name of the town there) is absolutely gorgeous.

Sealord 11-02-2006 03:06 PM

Heights

"big harbor crossings on the Chesapeake Bay." Not high, Verazano Narrows, Golden Gate is high. But the wheels are still on the ground, what's the problem? BOL

Malaki86 11-02-2006 03:19 PM

TBH - I don't know - I guess it's just the fact I can see straight down over the edge.

BigBird01 11-03-2006 10:02 PM

well I found out today I am afraid of heights. I did loveland pass for my first time today. Been up and down the mountain alot but never over loveland. And the roads where dry I couldn't imagine doing that with snow or ice on the ground. I would be a nervous wreck lol. But have to admit it is beautiful up there. If you can get the im going to go over the edge out of your head lol.

yoopr 11-03-2006 10:12 PM

Used to be pretty wicked on I-15 near Great Falls where they had Boulders instead of Guard Rails and you could look Waaaaaaaaaaay down to the bottom. Especially worse when road was under construction.

also if you're re-routed in Tennessee and have to take Old Highway 41 because of Rock Slides or whatever and if you're pulling a 53'rs without your Tandems shortened your trailer would be close to the Edge :P