Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   20 trying to get CDL but lack nornmal D/L need some advice (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21619-20-trying-get-cdl-but-lack-nornmal-d-l-need-some-advice.html)

DC 10-25-2006 05:45 PM

20 trying to get CDL but lack nornmal D/L need some advice

I am 20 years old I want to get my CDL but I currently don't even have my normal Drivers Liscense. At the moment im saving up money to buy a crap car so I can learn. I've driven before I just need to learn a few things, My concern is once I get my CDL if a Company will hire me or not with my limited driving experience. Do you guys recommend a trucking school or program I should go in or near Pittsburgh PA to help my chances? It's a strange situation I'm in any advice would be much appreciated. My goal is to get the experience necassary to drive a tanker truck.

rubberducky 10-25-2006 05:47 PM

I think I would learn to drive a car first. And your not quite old enough for a lot of companies to even hire you. But good luck though.

dk132 10-25-2006 06:28 PM

Good god son :lol: Get some driving experience in a car first like 4 or 5 years before you even think about driving a Tractor.

ecnalubma 10-25-2006 07:06 PM

I would suspect you will need to possess a regular driver's licence for a period of time before you will even be eligible to upgrade your driver's licence to a CDL. Where I'm from, every newly licenced driver has to complete a two year graduated licence program before they are eligible for a licence upgrade.

Overloaded 10-25-2006 08:41 PM

You must hold a valid drivers license for 2 years before you can get a CDL.

Sealord 10-25-2006 11:17 PM

DL to CDL

"You must hold a valid drivers license for 2 years before you can get a CDL." May not be so in all states. There's worse things than to show up at a truck driving school never having driven anything.... like no bad habits. BOL

slol 10-28-2006 11:45 PM

In canada, I passed my car road test, went back inside to the motor vehicle office and told them im ready to take my class 1 test now. But to be honest I think you should at least give yourself some experience with a car, after a while you'll have a good idea of how traffic flows, basic rules of driving, etc, the stuff thats impossible to pick up on while riding a bus. At any rate you dont have much choice but to take it one step at a time and start with your car license.

10-29-2006 12:07 AM

The OP does not know how to drive a car, but wants to drive a big rig????

I don't know how to respond to this question...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

marcel27208 10-29-2006 12:46 AM

i would say get your license first and yo uwill probably have to have your license for a while b4 u can get hired, that doesnt mean you cant get your CDL from a training school but alot of companies will hire you and alot wont, you just have to find those that will

10-29-2006 12:54 AM

Re: 20 trying to get CDL but lack nornmal D/L need some advi

Originally Posted by DC:
I am 20 years old I want to get my CDL but I currently don't even have my normal Drivers Liscense. At the moment im saving up money to buy a crap car so I can learn. I've driven before I just need to learn a few things, My concern is once I get my CDL if a Company will hire me or not with my limited driving experience. Do you guys recommend a trucking school or program I should go in or near Pittsburgh PA to help my chances? It's a strange situation I'm in any advice would be much appreciated. My goal is to get the experience necassary to drive a tanker truck.

:shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: