Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   What is the worst.....(No Companies) (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21509-what-worst-no-companies.html)

flyncasafo 10-21-2006 05:47 PM

What is the worst.....(No Companies)

What is the worst....... No companies please. There are other threads for that. I just wanna see what kind of responses we get.

What is the worst truck to drive?

What is the worst road, highway, area, to drive on?

What is the worst dock to get unloaded in?

What truck stop serves the worst food?

Just want to see what everyone thinks?

Mr. Ford95 10-21-2006 06:55 PM

Worst are to drive in is anywhere in the Northeast.

Mackman 10-21-2006 07:07 PM

Re: What is the worst.....(No Companies)

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyncasafo

Anything with a short hood. :D

acranger 10-21-2006 07:08 PM

how 'bout we give the worst and best for each?

flyncasafo 10-21-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acranger
how 'bout we give the worst and best for each?

Sounds good, go for it.

acranger 10-21-2006 07:32 PM

I am here for the reading and research now. I am still in Ranger Battalion here at Ft. Benning, GA. Got about 5 weeks left in the army. I am interested in the industry and am becoming obsessed with research on it.

brian 10-21-2006 07:41 PM

the shorter the wheelbase the crappier the ride, I wouldnt pin worst ride on any particular model, my two trucks are pretty stretched out and they ride like cadillacs.

10-21-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

Most drivers would say the Northeast. Very congested, hard to get around, not many places for a big truck to stop.

Quote:

There was a time when a longhaulin' man could cool his heels at just about any truckstop along the road and get a home-cooked meal, fresh cup o' Joe, and get a clean, hot shower with fluffy towels.

Nowadays, the truckstops of yore have been replaced by big corporate "travel plazas" which seem to cater more towards 4-wheelers and RV's then they do truckers. The driver's lounge of today usually consists of a 25-inch Magnavox playing Law & Order reruns ad nauseum. And the showers have low-flow showerheads with towels that feel like 100-grit sandpaper. Pilot is probably the worst as their first order of business upon gobbling up a mom-and-pop joint is to rip out the home-spun restaurant and replace it with yet another Subway, Taco-Bell, Wendy's, etc. Then they shrink the parking lot by 50%. Some of those places are nothing more than convience stores with a couple fuel pumps outside.

Windwalker 10-21-2006 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdFrostyMug
Quote:

Most drivers would say the Northeast. Very congested, hard to get around, not many places for a big truck to stop.

Quote:

There was a time when a longhaulin' man could cool his heels at just about any truckstop along the road and get a home-cooked meal, fresh cup o' Joe, and get a clean, hot shower with fluffy towels.

Nowadays, the truckstops of yore have been replaced by big corporate "travel plazas" which seem to cater more towards 4-wheelers and RV's then they do truckers. The driver's lounge of today usually consists of a 25-inch Magnavox playing Law & Order reruns ad nauseum. And the showers have low-flow showerheads with towels that feel like 100-grit sandpaper. Pilot is probably the worst as their first order of business upon gobbling up a mom-and-pop joint is to rip out the home-spun restaurant and replace it with yet another Subway, Taco-Bell, Wendy's, etc. Then they shrink the parking lot by 50%. Some of those places are nothing more than convience stores with a couple fuel pumps outside.

And I stand accused of being a PILOT hater..... Keep goin', Bud. There aren't enough of us around. PILOT still flurishes.

NascarFan 10-21-2006 08:13 PM

The worst truck to drive by far is the Mack R model tight on space and rides like crap.

I did OTR to get a year of experience so I could get the job I have now and Pilot was the worst truck stop the first time I went in there I swore I would never do it again.

Mackman 10-21-2006 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NascarFan
The worst truck to drive by far is the Mack R model tight on space and rides like crap.

Thats a MANS truck.lol

movinit 10-21-2006 10:51 PM

Worse truck we ever drove was a 2006 Freightliner Columbia. It was extremely loud to the point it was hard to carry on a conversation at normal level. Rough riding, felt every bump and grove. Rattle, shook and things fell apart.

Uturn2001 10-21-2006 11:19 PM

Quote:

And I stand accused of being a PILOT hater..... Keep goin', Bud. There aren't enough of us around. PILOT still flurishes.
And as long as Pilot keeps giving big discounts to the mega fleets they will continue to flourish.

Windwalker 10-21-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Quote:

And as long as Pilot keeps giving big discounts to the mega fleets they will continue to flourish.

Now, suppose those "MEGA-COMPANIES" started to have a problem hiring drivers because PILOT doesn't care about the driver's needs... Like good wholesome food to eat or a place for the driver to park and take his/her "FEDERALLY REQUIRED 10 HOUR BREAK". Think they might start going away from PILOT then? Think about it.... No drivers, no company... All we have to do is keep these new drivers from signing with any company that uses PILOT for fuel.....

I know.......GOOD LUCK...........

flyncasafo 10-22-2006 12:55 AM

Ok guys, we know you do not like Pilot. Lets keep this post on track. I post the questions agian.

What is the worst....... No companies please. There are other threads for that. I just wanna see what kind of responses we get.

Windwalker 10-22-2006 01:09 AM

Quote:

Ok guys, we know you do not like Pilot. Lets keep this post on track. I post the questions agian.

For steering, a cabover is best.
For ride, a cabover is worst. That left front tire is kicking you in the butt all the way down the road.

Quote:

Spread out a map of NYC, close your eyes, and put your finger on the map. Even good looking women are not worth the trip to any part of it.

Quote:

ANY FOOD WAREHOUSE

Quote:

PILOT... Fast food is not "food".

flyncasafo 10-22-2006 01:15 AM

Thank you windwalker, thats what I am talking about.

marcel27208 10-22-2006 01:16 AM

worst place to get unloaded/loaded in???

Any place that when you ask how they are doing and they just take your bills and dont say a word! And they act like YOUR the reason they are having a bad day.

Id have to say one of the worst places to unload is the place across from the TA in Jessup MD(forgot name of the place)

Also.... Springs Industries in Lancaster/York/Rock Hill, SC plan on being there at least 10 hours..last time i was there...appt at 9am..arrived at 8am.... left at 0430 next morning!!!! happens every time Springs Industries gets my vote for being the worst!!!!!

Soladad 10-22-2006 01:45 AM

Another truck stop that rates right at the bottom along with Pilots are the TAs. Dirty, cramped and hardly a decent place to park. I am sitting at a TA as we speak here in WV only because there is nothing else in the area where I could take my break. I have a shower credit but I am afraid of what conditions the shower are in. My favorite truck stops are Flying J's.

Soladad

redsfan 10-22-2006 02:19 AM

Quote:

IMO, it's a Peterbilt 379. Can't say that they are all like this, but the ones that I drive are extremely noisy and ride like a tank. Not popular opinion always, but I'll take a Freightliner Columbia any day of the week.

Quote:

I'll agree about the Northeast, but I also hate PA and the area around Detroit. Then again, I hate just about everything about "that state up north".

Quote:

Any dock where there is a union present. Steel mills can be as bad as any grocery warehouse...

Quote:

Have to agree on the Pilot's. As for the food, Love's is just as bad as Pilot though.

knightwolf71477 10-22-2006 04:27 AM

I think the worst truck too drive is a freightliner, even though just about every company uses them.

I think the worst road would have to be I-10 in LA.

Since I am a car hauler I don't have to worry about docks.

I would have to agree on the Pilot. I will only stop at a Pilot if I have no choice and I am almost out of fuel.

teamster 10-22-2006 07:38 AM

I would say the road i always hated the most was I-80 across PA. When it snows- they wait for a 30 car pileup before salting. I dont care if I ever see that road again.

dollarshort 10-22-2006 04:01 PM

To me the absolute worst aspect of trucking is the waiting at the docks either to get loaded or unloaded. I don't know why these shippers and receivers have to be such a$$es. Over the years my patience is ruinning thinner and thinner. About a month ago I snapped and told one guy off at a grocery warehouse. He got my name and told me I was never welcome to come back there again. I put out my hand to shake his and say thank you for making sure I never come back here.

Splitter 10-22-2006 06:04 PM

Worst truck I drove. Was a Mack C600 rental.

Worst highway had to be the Vantage highway outta Ellensburg, WA.
very narrow, and full of all sorts of ruts. Not to mention the high wind that blows through there.