Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Wireless Broadband (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21489-wireless-broadband.html)

10-20-2006 09:40 AM

Wireless Broadband

I have a few :?: about wireless internet on the road :?

Who do you use?
How much does it cost?
Other than a laptop, what else do you need to make it work?
Do providers do a credit check?
Do they require a contract?

Many thanks! :lol:

10-20-2006 10:08 AM

I have Verizon and get around 1.2mbs.
Costs me $79.95 per month
You don't need anything else other than a laptop. Just make sure you get the right card for your slot. It can either a PCMCIA or Express slot.
I'm sure they do a credit check.
They require a 1 year commitment or it's a $200 termination fee or something like that.

Tilar 10-20-2006 12:01 PM

I use the verizon for my phone and the internet. Unlimited everything. I signed a one year contract for $59 a month. As long as I get a signal on my phone, I can get online with my computer.

REXRACER 10-20-2006 12:16 PM

Another variation on this question is, how many truck stops and rest stops out there have free wi-fi? I saw a bunch of rest stops in Iowa on a road trip that had signs saying they had wi-fi. Just wondering how prevalent this is becoming?

GMAN 10-20-2006 12:23 PM

Most truck stops charge for WiFi access. Each of the major chains seem to have their own. I don't know all the states who have free WiFi access in their rest areas. I believe Texas is one, however. At least they were supposed to make it available in their rest areas.

10-20-2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilar
I use the verizon for my phone and the internet. Unlimited everything. I signed a one year contract for $59 a month. As long as I get a signal on my phone, I can get online with my computer.

I think your on the lesser plan and not the Broadband. Broadband is $79 and National Access is $59 and your speed is like 150kb instead of in the MB range.

Rawlco 10-20-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveBooth
Quote:

I think your on the lesser plan and not the Broadband. Broadband is $79 and National Access is $59 and your speed is like 150kb instead of in the MB range.

He may also have a package deal. Sometimes if you have an expensive enough phone plan you can get a deal on the internet access.

Tilar 10-20-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually I get both broadband and National access, depending on where I am in the country. I can't pickup broadband everywhere.

10-20-2006 09:17 PM

Thanks for you answers

Does anyone use Sprint?

10-20-2006 09:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually I get both broadband and National access, depending on where I am in the country. I can't pickup broadband everywhere.

I had the same thing with my first card and they made a mistake. When I was at home I was on National. When I went to work near Boston I had broadband. I sent the card back and got the $79 deal and now I'm on Broadband everywhere. If I'm in a remote region it reverts to National.