Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Engine Brake Restricted vs Prohibited (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21203-engine-brake-restricted-vs-prohibited.html)

SuperTrap 10-08-2006 05:49 PM

Engine Brake Restricted vs Prohibited

Stupid question but what's the difference?

Been out of trucking for 7 years and now I'm back and things have changed a little bit

kc0iv 10-08-2006 06:03 PM

Re: Engine Brake Restricted vs Prohibited

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTrap
Stupid question but what's the difference?

Been out of trucking for 7 years and now I'm back and things have changed a little bit

Engine Brake Restricted vs Prohibited

Restriction mean they can used at times. Example down hills.

Prohibited can not be used anytime.

I don't see any reason to use them most of the time.

kc0iv

Hat Rak 10-08-2006 06:30 PM

Re: Engine Brake Restricted vs Prohibited

This is a stab in the dark, but restricted could imply that the use of unmuffled engine brakes is frowned upon.

Splitter 10-08-2006 06:33 PM

Many upscale communities where I live prohibit the use of unmuffled compression brakes. And some just plain prohibit there use at all.

yoopr 10-08-2006 06:45 PM

Some communities are ok with it-Some are just hateful about it.
For example Wisconsin is understanding and use common sense with Jakes.
Signs most everywhere will say Jakes prohibited UNLESS in a Emergency.

redsfan 10-08-2006 10:52 PM

I would agree in that I believe restricted would mean no excessive use or that they must be muffled and that prohibited would mean do not use them at all.

If you live right on the edge of town as I do you would see why towns restrict or prohibit their use. Nothing worse than some idiot cowboy rumbling thru at 2 AM with the jake cacklin. I suppose it makes him cooler than he really is (in his own mind anyway). Plus add in the fact that as you're entering town from my end of there is a slight uphill grade not downhill...

Engine brakes are not meant to be run all of the time, they are to used to help you slowdown on steep downhill grades. I even know several guys who never turn them off whether they are loaded or empty.

Hat Rak 10-08-2006 11:32 PM

I'll tell you what though, I grew up in the woods of CT, and at night, just barely over the chirping of crickets, I could still hear the steady roar and scream of a big trucks' tires 12 miles away on I-95. Never once heard a jake brake in use at that distance.

So maybe these local governments should focus more on- d'OH I don't want to give them any idears...

One 10-09-2006 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsfan
I would agree in that I believe restricted would mean no excessive use or that they must be muffled and that prohibited would mean do not use them at all.

If you live right on the edge of town as I do you would see why towns restrict or prohibit their use. Nothing worse than some idiot cowboy rumbling thru at 2 AM with the jake cacklin. I suppose it makes him cooler than he really is (in his own mind anyway). Plus add in the fact that as you're entering town from my end of there is a slight uphill grade not downhill...

Engine brakes are not meant to be run all of the time, they are to used to help you slowdown on steep downhill grades. I even know several guys who never turn them off whether they are loaded or empty.

I agree, 'restricted' means a lot of things...a muffler is a restriction, therefore if u have one :) then you should be able to use the jake. If they cannot put up signs that are clear, then ill feel obligated to argue with the judge about what the sign actually sais. Believe me, when it comes to definitions im a nazi... :lol: I always love the sign that sais 'airplanes used' -im sure they are! By lots of airlines, air-force, cropdusters.....does that sign mean beware of low-flying airplanes? duck? :wink:
What about the one that sais 'leave Salem' somewhere in VA does it mean dont come back???? Should I be scared? :D