Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   College grad wants job as trucker (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/21155-college-grad-wants-job-trucker.html)

Beef 10-07-2006 02:22 AM

College grad wants job as trucker

Greetings,
I know many has probably seen a million of these type of posts...
I graduated with a degree in 04, not thrilled with the job market my dad and I started doing home improvement, now we are thinking of making that transition to lawn care...never the less I really like the idea of driving a truck. Currently I do part time seafood deliveries and really enjoy doing it. I know you guys get sick of hearing these questions, but I would really like to hear some answers?

Number one, very broad, but what would be the first thing you would do if you were me and wanted to drive a truck?

Any reccomendations at all?

Do you enjoy what you do?

This is kind of funny, but I have a huge phobia of going to the doctors and getting a physical...havent had one in probably close to 10 years...what does the dot consist of? Since I know my doctor, is there anyway he would just fill on the info out without doing the actual test?

Thanks a million and any reccomendations or thoughts would be great!
God Bless 8)

Skywalker 10-07-2006 02:34 AM

I am going to assume that you are on the younger side...maybe in your late 20's or early 30's....and that you have a college degree.

If this is true, then frankly....stop looking at trucking and get busy finding a job commensurate with your education. If you don't...you will have effectively "pissed away" 4 years of your life and many thousands of dollars spent to get that education.

If you do this, at this stage in your life, you will regret it.

Beef 10-07-2006 02:49 AM

I am 25 years old, and actually could of had more of a career if I had chosen it...I didnt want it...I look at is at least having an education that no one can take away from me.

Aligator 10-07-2006 03:05 AM

Quote:

Number one, very broad, but what would be the first thing you would do if you were me and wanted to drive a truck?
Go to CDL school. Shop around and find the deal that is best for you. Don't go to a company school; they'll just make you an indentured servant.

Quote:

This is kind of funny, but I have a huge phobia of going to the doctors and getting a physical...havent had one in probably close to 10 years...what does the dot consist of? Since I know my doctor, is there anyway he would just fill on the info out without doing the actual test?
We are all afraid we'll flunk the physical! There is nothing to it; my "test" took maybe three minutes and I'm an old guy. He mostly checked off items on a list.

Quote:

Do you enjoy what you do?
Yeah, I do. I've been driving about 9 months and make fairly good money (1100/week)

Quote:

Any reccomendations at all?
Yup! Go into it with the idea of making a career and finding your niche in a very broad field. Maybe you'll want to become an owner/operator, or operate under your own authority someday - maybe go into it with you dad as your dispatcher. Make long range plans, talk to lots of people and look for ways to make your decision come out right.

Beef 10-07-2006 03:26 AM

aligator-you have a pm my good man!

arky 10-07-2006 04:04 AM

I'm in a position similiar to you and I start orientation with Maverick Transportation Sunday morning. One difference is that I'm 40 y/o and your probably not? I was laid off a couple of years ago and took the time to finish a bachelor's degree. Now, looking at the jobs available and that most of them would require 100 mile round trip commute, I'm thinking I might as well drive a truck. It's something I've always said would be my next career...might as well make good on it.

Here's another point to ponder :roll: If you find a job that is suited to your degree, you will most likely start out in a very entry level position?...and chances are it's not gonna pay alot? AND think about this... all of those people in the office at these trucking companies..don't you figure many of them have college degrees? Safety Directors? Accountants? I would think that a college degree and some driving time could very easily land a job in the transportation industry that draws on that degree.

For myself, this is the way I see it. I seriously doubt that I will go any farther than driver simply because I don't have the temperament to deal with all the office politics and general B.S. of an office job, but if I do this driving thing and it doesn't work out, it just might possibly lead to something else.

If you gotta start on the bottom and work your way up...why not do it in a field your interested in?

rcso 10-07-2006 04:42 AM

Dude, you can get a job as a probation or parole officer for my state in a heatbeat just by having a degree. You'd make about the same amount of money for entirely less work.

Beef 10-07-2006 05:00 AM

thanks for the post arky...I agree with just about everything you said...

hey rcso- those jobs just dont interest me as much as truckin...I have thought about being a cop..and everyone in my town that is a cop wants me to join because im 6-3 350-360 and muscular....i have done personal training and that didnt go too far...so as of now my stepdad and i do home improvement, funny thing is he has a doctorate...lol

I started taking classes to become a teacher, I come from a family full of teachers, and they all want me to teach, but i dont think my heart is in it...in fact i just recently turned down a teaching job at a group home.

I realize that trucking isnt easy, you have your ups and downs in every job, but it has always appealed to me...in fact i grew up with my grandfather owning a seafood company, and always riding in the truck...not a tractor trailer, but a ton truck, and two ton truck...

I love riding...and I do realize there is more to it then that...but there is a huge demand for truckers, and you do get a decent pay...i mean it might not be huge starting out, but at least you can survive on it..

DesertRat 10-07-2006 05:30 AM

You didn't mention if you were single or not? Any kids?

The road is no place for a family man. But, if you are 25, single, no kids and you really want to give it a try, now is the time. IMO Driving is a great job for those who are not tied down to anything. You could proably make better money following your degree, but if your heart isn't in it, you'll never really be happy. Life is more than money, if you think driving will make you happy, then give it a shot.

As far as recomendations, a previous poster gave good advice. Pay your own way through school, that way you aren't locked into a specific company for a year. AT that, find yourself the best school you can, don't get suckered into on of the many two week programs out there. Find a longer program, where you will actually learn something. If possible, find a program that is PTDI certified ( www.ptdi.org ) you'll find that will open more doors, often to better companies.

Once you've picked a school, start scouting companies. Ask a lot of questions, asking them here is a good start. If you have a truck stop near you, stop in and talk to drivers from companies you are looking at. When recruiters come to visit your school, and they definately will, ask questions of them (but take the answers with a grain of salt.) Get as much information as you can from the recruiter in writing. Then look at that info and ask drivers (again places like here, or truck stops) how accurate it is. And try to talk with multiple drivers, as everyones experience is different. Don't let one disgruntled employee turn you off of a company without looking deeper.

Beef 10-07-2006 05:39 AM

Hey Rat,
Thanks for the info...I really appreciate it...I am single currently...

What do you think of local and regional truck driving jobs, like coke, pepsi, etc...?

There is a program at the local community college...do you think that would be suitable?