Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Flatbed is not for noobs (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20990-flatbed-not-noobs.html)

One 10-01-2006 01:16 PM

Flatbed is not for noobs

There are a lot of things to worry about and learn when you are a new driver, a lot of noobs are very stressed just by running the truck to where the additional headache of securement is not reccomendable until you have at least 6 mos. or mastered a few key things:
-knowing your trucks limitations by how it feels when going through a turn
-shifting at the right speeds/rpm AND at the right point around turns.
-knowing how to deal with dispatch
-trip planning and time management
-HOS regs (hours of loading+securing are ON DUTY NOT DRIVING!)
-weight distribution
-keeping a cool head in the event of danger (relatively)
-stress management
-space management pretaining esp. to following distances
Companies that train new drivers in flatbedding are suspect to me because they cannot possibly train you in all those things according to your needs and in securing all loads properly. The only way to learn how to secure specific loads is to have a vet. show you on that load. No textbook or pic will teach you unique considerations for specific loads and your equipment. You must first master the above points with ease, so you are not stressed or pressed into cutting corners, forgetting or miscalculating. I pulled a flat for only a few months and liked it, but I must tell you some loads felt like I was balancing them on my head.
Everyone stresses steel coil securement- I actually think they are easy because they are simple to secure and are small enough to where you have the ability to 'take a step back' to look at the big picture and realize mistakes. A lot of common sense is needed and 3d thinking really helps! I think there are a whole lot more mistakes to be made when hauling pipe, flat steel lumber, drywall and pallets.
HOS regs work against flatbedders more than dry 'vanners' because if u pull a van you can show loading time in the sleeper, not so in flatbedding :lol: No DOT man will believe you if you show only 30 mins securing a load of lumber and tarping it! The first coil i secured, I worked for 4 hrs and was exhausted afterwards. You think I drove 11 hrs after that? :?
As to space management- several times I found myself stepping on the brakes real hard and had drywall and flat steel move forward on the trailer :shock: Why? Inexperience! This is less likely in a dryvan because you load them all the way to the bulkhead, eliminating space to slide forward to. Therefore its more important that you read traffic well and anticipate than in a dryvan. Those are skills learned over years of driving, not a 3 wk. course or a video!!!

Im sure i left out a lot of points i wanted to mention and surely vet flatbedders can amend to this. I hope this helps!!

tweety bird 10-01-2006 04:57 PM

One, I have never pulled a flatbed, but I think you are probably right. Same goes for carhaul, but not quite as much. In car haul, once the car is properly strapped down, you shouldn't need to worry about it shifting (though you have to check it a lot). But that's a lot of responsibility when you are a new driver- too much new stuff all at once and SOMETHING is going to get overlooked.

I would think that a flatbed- from what you say- is similar to a tanker. I have also never driven a tanker but it would really freak me out for the liquid to push me into the intersection...

Good post. I think it's always a good idea for a new driver to get some good DRIVING experience before they add to their trucking- flatbed, o/o, car haul... anything. Driving is our #1 job, and doing it safely and skillfully takes experience.

Fourcats 10-01-2006 05:27 PM

All good points. I've been running a flat bed & trailer {26,000 lbs} for eight months. The thing that keeps me and others safe is my experience {from 9 years of OTR driving}. It allows me "time to think" about the load, that is never the same, requires thought and know how to secure so its safe to travel.
The thing I notice while driving is vehicles that are speeding, tailgating and changing lanes a lot, its bad news. They are intent on what is in front of them and not looking down the road to the slowing traffic. Empty or loaded big trucks cannot stop.

During school I made a commitment to myself that I would be the best driver. I work on it EVERY day {don't care to be on the "6 o'clock news"}.

BanditsCousin 10-01-2006 06:05 PM

-"HOS regs (hours of loading+securing are ON DUTY NOT DRIVING!)"

If thats how you wana log it. I always load entire houses into my trailer in 4 hrs too! :lol: :lol: 8)

Paystar_5000 10-01-2006 09:48 PM

I learned to drive a truck flat bedding winching my cargo up a and rigging up gin poles stacking pipe racks it was a pain the butt and we used the old style boombers that u boom with a cheater pipe that crap would wear u out. now im hauling forklifts and backhoes flatbed. I dont see how it requires anymore experiance than van to me tanker requires more than both

Fozzy 10-01-2006 10:39 PM

shifting at the right speeds/rpm AND at the right point around turns.

:shock: :P

Windwalker 10-01-2006 10:45 PM

Excellent post, One. When pulling loads like pallets, especially used pallets, you need to be very sure about the height. It may mean climbing onto the load and measuring down to the ground. And, it's not just the edges, but make sure the center across the width of the trailer is the same height.

Back when J B Hunt had a flatbed division, (cabovers and all) one of their drivers failed to check the top of his load. The result was the back two stacks of pallets left on I-94 in Detroit along with about 20 feet of 4-inch strap still hanging from the overpass when I went by. The two top pallets from each stack were jammed onto the lip of the I-beam of the overpass. The angle of the pallets up there would suggest that if the load was 13' 6", the center of the back 2 stacks must have been about 14' 2". Much too high to clear those bridges.

Sometimes, you'll haul equipment. First impulse is to throw the strap over the top. But to do that would mean destroying the equipment. Light sheet-metal on top will not secure 4 inches of solid steel at the base.

Throwing a strap over those large sheets of stone that come from AZ will only cut the strap in two. Many times, the guys loading will tell you how to secure your load, but suppose you've got a drop-&-hook. And they have all gone home. You're on your own, and you'd better know what you're doing.

Or, a load of machinery with all sorts of sharp corners sticking out all over. And you have to tarp it. You'd better know what to do with all those corners so that you don't have to patch 6-foot holes in the tarp when you deliver the load.

Multiple tarps on a single load can be another challange. Don't do it right, and the wind will pull all your tarps off the load when you start driving. More than one driver has been parked on the shoulder of the road because he started tarping from front to back.

One 10-01-2006 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy
shifting at the right speeds/rpm AND at the right point around turns.

:shock: :P

Whats your point? I dont see anything wrong with that...

topper 10-01-2006 11:52 PM

WOW ! Thanks as a newbie to the trucking world, I have read several of these, but I just hired on to a local flatbed company, and never thought about it all that much but you are right, I have my work cut out for me and just hope I can catch on and get it. They have a 5 week training program but after I read this I'm not sure if that will be enough.

Sealord 10-02-2006 01:15 PM

One, what Fozz is saying is shifts aren't made during a turn. And BTW, I started pulling a flatbed, 7 weeks with a trainer, when JB had their flatbed division (later Charger) and wouldn't have done it any other way. I saw nothing going on with a box. BOL

One 10-02-2006 04:24 PM

Re: Points

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sealord
One, what Fozz is saying is shifts aren't made during a turn. And BTW, I started pulling a flatbed, 7 weeks with a trainer, when JB had their flatbed division (later Charger) and wouldn't have done it any other way. I saw nothing going on with a box. BOL

I never suggested to shift during a turn...I said 'around a turn'. Maybe thats easily misunderstood so I shall clarify:
It is very important for a driver to be able to choose the right gear for negotiating a turn before starting into a turn, a gear that will have you going through the turn comfortably while providing adequate power to maintain your speed through it. I usually slow to the speed I figure will be safe (yellow advisory signs are often helpful) and then slite the shifter into the gear to maintain that speed.

My original post was not really intended as a tutorial, more to give noobs an idea of how much extra a headache it would be to learn to drive AND learn to flatbed at the same time. I feel I have an obligation to make my assessment available to people like 'Topper' because id hate to see a thread entitled 'lost a load of pipe within my first week on the road and got fired and need new career, cause noone will hire me now.'.

GoldiesPlating 10-03-2006 01:39 PM

Good post? Yes. Bad Title? Yes. Should read Flatbed is not for everyone. I know quite a few newbies who are doing excellent, myself included, with flatbedding. I enjoy the daily challenges and the feeling of accomplishment I get every time I experience securing a new type of freight.
With a bit of common sense and proper training, it's not all that difficult and due to the more extensive training flatbed drivers receive (or should receive), I believe it is safer than driving a van. Some individuals may actually be looking for more of a challenge in truck driving than holding a steering wheel and filling out their paperwork properly. Not saying that van driving is easy. In fact in many ways it can be more dangerous. There are crosswinds to deal with that don't affect flatbeds as much and then there's the issue of just "closing the cargo doors and going down the road" only to have the load shift and roll you over or flat out tear through the side of the van and land in the road. Driving a van is every bit as dangerous as a flatbed and sometimes more so since you can't SEE what your load is doing. Many drivers think the van body will hold or protect the load and it just might, if you're hauling diapers. Good load securement is MANDATORY in a van too but is RARELY done properly, if at ALL.
I have NEVER had a load shift or a single freight claim against me. I HAVE seen beautiful and interesting places when delivering to job sites and have "played with" countless amazing (to me) big machines. I love the adventure and respect I get every day as a flatbed driver and the physical shape my body is in is better at 40 years of age than it has been in my entire life.
Going down the road I feel safe and secure in the knowlege that I secured my OWN load and not some 18 year old dock worker with his girlfriend, not my safety, on his mind.
ANY questions or concerns regarding driving flatbeds??? PM me anytime.

Sorry for the long post. :oops:

GoldiesPlating 10-03-2006 02:17 PM

Besides, can you do THIS with a van???

http://www.goldiesplating.com/flatbedfred/one4ce.jpg

Snowman7 10-03-2006 07:06 PM

I agree with Fred. Common sense and proper training. I started on a flat bed with no major problems, plus I made more money than a van. 4 Hrs to do a coil? There couldnt have been ANY training at all. Its a 15 to 30 minute job, maybe an hour if you have to tarp in the wind, I dont know...Anyway, all types of driving require training and common sense. Ask the Swift driver I saw sitting at a light in Metamora Il. He had a van and it looked like he got caught off guard at the stop light or he got brake checked but anyway his load came right thru the front of the trailer. No common sense, not paying attention, proper following distance, whatever happened it could have easily been avoided and it had nothing to do with flatbedding. With vans you have to worry about bridge heights more so than a flat, there's dozens of differences but they ALL require your respect and full attention. Do this and you can drive whatever you want.

One 10-04-2006 01:13 PM

15-30 mins to secure a coil? yeah, right- Mr.SUPERTRUCKER.
Ok, you two might be 'special' (nice work on the pic, Goldiesplating) :D but most noobs are overwhelmed just by the key points mentioned in the original post and do not need to be burdened by the extra headache of securing loads etc. The first challenge is learning how to drive- one thing at a time! The extra stress can be avoided. and as we know, stress and fatigue go hand in hand- and so does a greater chance of forgetting something or making a mistake. ONE mistake as a rookie can cost you your job and career more so than as a vet, from what we read in these forums.

Im just saddedend by reading posts by rookies that had no idea what was in store for them and am trying to help. Posting that it was no problem for you, is not constructive to educating a potential rookie flatbedder and preparing them for whats ahead. How often do we see posts like: "Flatbed or van?" those are the people that need to read this and will be thankful for our input, someone that has decided to go flatbed already is less likely to get overwhelmed by being a rookie in flatbedding and will not be swayed from his decision by our words of caution.
Those that go into flatbedding for a few cpm more are not those that care too much what they pull are the ones most interested, and need to hear my points.

GoldiesPlating 10-04-2006 01:39 PM

Agreed One. NOW you made a good point! hehehe Actually I had FUN messin' with your pic. hehe

nrvsreck 10-04-2006 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7
I agree with Fred. Common sense and proper training. I started on a flat bed with no major problems, plus I made more money than a van. 4 Hrs to do a coil? There couldnt have been ANY training at all. Its a 15 to 30 minute job, maybe an hour if you have to tarp in the wind, I dont know...

How on earth do you chain and tarp a coil in 15 to 30 minutes? I never did that many coils, but typically it'd take me at least an hour to do a good job. Plenty of chains, metal edge protectors, a strap or two, padding tarp, steel tarp tight as a drum. It'd take me 15 minutes just to get started with the first couple of chains, much less finish the job. Maybe you're one of those hotshots that run through Chicago with two chains on a 45,000+lb coil and no tarp. :roll:

Snowman7 10-04-2006 02:49 PM

When you do it everyday you get pretty good at it. Leave your racks and chains in place, then when you get there you just throw them thru the eye and tighten your ratchet binders. If you have the proper strength equipment 45k requires 4-6 secrements depending on shotgun vs suicide. Not that hard to tighten 6 ratchets. I was referring to the act of securing and not waiting, checking in and out etc, you can't control waiting for the shipper. If I wasnt already setup for a coil and knew thats where I was going then I would setup after I delivered, or I would setup while waiting in line. I was always legal. Point is, its alot closer to 30 minutes then 4 hrs. Maybe you were one of the guys always holding up the line! :roll: I'll race ya if you want, same securements. :D

Snowman7 10-04-2006 02:56 PM

One,

No supertrucker here, everyone I worked with could chain down a coil in 30 minutes. Just providing a different viewpoint, thats what the forum is for. Tarping would take longer but we had covered wagons, although some guys who tarp are pretty darn fast at it.

One 10-04-2006 03:46 PM

Everyone, BOW to the almighty Snowman!
done, now can we help the noobs?

Snowman7 10-04-2006 04:01 PM

That's what I'm doing! We didnt all have the problems you did. :wink:

Windwalker 10-04-2006 04:47 PM

Quote:

When you do it everyday you get pretty good at it. Leave your racks and chains in place, then when you get there you just throw them thru the eye and tighten your ratchet binders. If you have the proper strength equipment 45k requires 4-6 secrements depending on shotgun vs suicide. Not that hard to tighten 6 ratchets. I was referring to the act of securing and not waiting, checking in and out etc, you can't control waiting for the shipper. If I wasnt already setup for a coil and knew thats where I was going then I would setup after I delivered, or I would setup while waiting in line. I was always legal. Point is, its alot closer to 30 minutes then 4 hrs. Maybe you were one of the guys always holding up the line! :roll: I'll race ya if you want, same securements. :D

It depends on how often you load a steel coil. If you've just delivered a load of crates of glass, and only pick up a coil, maybe once in two months, you're not going to have things left on the bed. With the storage space available, you will have to dig through some of the things you've used since the last coil, and it will take longer. If all you haul is steel coils, you use the same things every load. Makes a big difference. Also makes a difference how they are loaded. Cross-wise, lengthwise, or "eye to the sky".

nrvsreck 10-05-2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Racing?! What does truck driving have to do with racing? I'd really appreciate you explaining to me what "racing" is and what place it has in driving a truck responsibly and safely. I never held up anyone. Every time I'd pick up a coil there'd be several bays available. But, I'd never cut corners just to get out of someone's way. If another driver doesn't like it, or if a crane operator is sitting there waiting, and waiting, and waiting... so what? Is their job on the line? Is someone else's safety on the line? Is a carload of kids on the line? To them, no. To me, yes. Everything is on the line. I never gave a damn about those idiotic yahoos that only threw two chains over a 45,000lb coil. If they lose that coil, it's their responsiblity. Not mine. My responsiblity is to cover my azz and not kill or injure anyone else. I still get paid the same. So, you make 950 and I make 875. I don't care. I take care of myself and those around me. If I kill someone because of my negligence, I couldn't live with that. Could you? Probably so, since you only care about "racing" the guy next to you, not about safety.

I remember a time I was at a steel mill up in East Chicago. One of those big mills that covered several city blocks. I had to pick up a 47,000lb coil as did all the local drivers. I remember these guys in their ratty old FLD's and worn-out steel trailers throwing at most four chains over their loads. That's not even enough to meet federal regulations, much less give me a feeling of security. These guys were in and out in fifteen minutes or less. I spent at least an hour securing my coil. I think I threw about seven chains over that baztard, a 5klb strap, padding tarp, and tent tarp. During none of that time did I hold anyone up. There about five or six bays, and the locals were in and out in no time. At one point another TMC driver backed in next to me. Apparently he was a rookie because he asked me how he should go about securing his coil. His coil was the same as mine as going to the same destination. I recommended he put at least six chains on it, unwind those chains too, and make sure he feel comfortable first before leaving the mill. I left just as he was getting started. The next day at the yard we delivered at, he pulled in just as I was finishing up. He yanked his tarp off and I was shocked at what I saw. He had only put four chains on that coil. Four chains on a 47,000lb coil! I didn't look at him or speak to him after that. I didn't care. If he wants to risk his life, the lives of the vehicles around him, and his career, just to save a few minutes, that's his choice. The same as the choice you make each day. If you want to risk it all just to save a few minutes and make an extra $50 here and there that's your choice, but I don't want any part of it. I won't do it. I just hope you never kill anyone in your haste to make a buck. Sorry man, but don't belong behind a wheel. :roll:

redsfan 10-05-2006 03:01 AM

I am definitely no super trucker and I don't know that I ever secured and tarped a coil in 15 minutes, but 30-40 minutes is very doable and I was always PO'd if it took me longer than 45 minutes. I couldn't imagine it ever taking 4 hours...

I always loved steel coils, because in my opinion, the were the easiest loads to secure and tarp. Once you spend a week or two in securement training, you have a pretty good handle on most loads. The first thing I would find out when checking in with a shipper was exactly what I was getting and how it was to be loaded. That way by the time the loader got around to me I already had all of the chains, straps, binders, tarps, etc. that I would need laying on the trailer.

One thing I do know is that your load should never shift. If it's secured properly, you can roll the trailer and the load still be intact. What always scared the hell out of me was to see a dry van loading the same skidded coils as me with nothing to secure them, but the front of the trailer.

Flatbedding is not for everyone, but trucking period isn't for everyone either. Just make sure that you start with a good company that will train you properly whether it's skateboard, dry van, tanker or whatever.

nrvsreck 10-05-2006 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsfan
I am definitely no super trucker and I don't know that I ever secured and tarped a coil in 15 minutes, but 30-40 minutes is very doable and I was always PO'd if it took me longer than 45 minutes. I couldn't imagine it ever taking 4 hours...

I always loved steel coils, because in my opinion, the were the easiest loads to secure and tarp. Once you spend a week or two in securement training, you have a pretty good handle on most loads. The first thing I would find out when checking in with a shipper was exactly what I was getting and how it was to be loaded. That way by the time the loader got around to me I already had all of the chains, straps, binders, tarps, etc. that I would need laying on the trailer.

One thing I do know is that your load should never shift. If it's secured properly, you can roll the trailer and the load still be intact. What always scared the hell out of me was to see a dry van loading the same skidded coils as me with nothing to secure them, but the front of the trailer.

Flatbedding is not for everyone, but trucking period isn't for everyone either. Just make sure that you start with a good company that will train you properly whether it's skateboard, dry van, tanker or whatever.

Hell, I almost always knew what I was getting before hand. I'd have everything laid out. Straps, chains, bungies, dunnage, racks, everything, right where I wanted it. But as far as cutting corners, I'm just not going to do it. Too much at risk.

redsfan 10-05-2006 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrvsreck
Quote:

Originally Posted by redsfan

Hell, I almost always knew what I was getting before hand. I'd have everything laid out. Straps, chains, bungies, dunnage, racks, everything, right where I wanted it. But as far as cutting corners, I'm just not going to do it. Too much at risk.

I would never cut corners either, hence the reason that a load should never shift, but there's a big difference between working quickly and cutting corners. I've seen guys who looked like they were moving at a snail's pace and they would be done before me. All because they had done it many times and they knew exactly what they were doing.

I always double-checked everything and I always did load checks while in route, which I know a lot of other guys do not do. It just never took me 4 hours. I also saw a lot of guys who threw things together half-a**ed and wouldn't have nearly enough securements, so I see your point with that. My point is, if you have the proper training and you do it right to begin with and you're absolutely sure of it why would it take 4 hours?

Snowman7 10-05-2006 04:19 AM

nrvsreck/One

You both need to reread this thread. My first post was basically agreeing with fred that flat bedding can be done by a new driver with proper training and and common sense. I did state 15-30 minutes to chain down a coil. You all chose to key on 15 minutes. Maybe 15 minutes is exaggerating but for a small coil not including tarping its still a best case scenario. 30 minutes would be the average and every coil was secured properly. Could it take an hour? Sure it could. When deciding how many chains you use you must know the working load limit of your chains. Ours were 8800 lbs. DOT regs state you must secure for half the weight, look it up. Therefore a fifty thousand pound coil would require 4 of MY chains. I cannot speak for YOUR chains. If loaded shotgun then you would also need two securements over the top and a trip block. Everything I did was 100% or more by the book. One then chose to call me Supertrucker and insinuate that I'm a liar and nrvsreck chose to call me unsafe. So yeah I may have taken a shot at nrvsreck by calling him slow but it was done tounge in cheek and only because you first called me unsafe. And One, I still havent said anything to you. All I did was contradict your opinion that flatbedding is not for noobies, and I think I'm entitled to my opinion. I was surprised that you picked a coil to illustrate your point as I agree with redsfan that a coil is one of the easiest securements you'll ever do. If it took 4 hrs then your company could not have trained you at all and thats not your fault its theirs. Perhaps you could tell us who it was so noobs could avoid that company. I was trained at Valley Transportation in Ohio as were many noobs and we were trained well. TMC and Maverick also do a great job. I've met many of their drivers. So my point is that noobs can and do flatbed succesfully. Sorry if you dont agree. Is it harder? Probably, I didnt start on a van so I dont know. Is it for everyone? No. But to say nobody should do it is only your opinion based on your experience. Your entitled to your opinion but you could lay off the personal attacks on me for having mine. Why all the attitude? Now I see why All Metals in Spartanburg wanted to call the sheriff on you.

GoldiesPlating 10-05-2006 05:08 AM

45,000 pound coil for ME = 2 coil racks, 2 rubber mats, 2 4X4's, 5-6 chains and binders and a tarp. Time without tarping 30 minutes including setting up the securement and 30 minutes to tarp. Has it taken longer sometimes? Yes. But I don't count the smoke break or the Pepsi Cola rest period. :wink:

Snake_Ize 10-05-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating
45,000 pound coil for ME = 2 coil racks, 2 rubber mats, 2 4X4's, 5-6 chains and binders and a tarp. Time without tarping 30 minutes including setting up the securement and 30 minutes to tarp. Has it taken longer sometimes? Yes. But I don't count the smoke break or the Pepsi Cola rest period. :wink:

Has TMC changed their policy Fred? In orientation they stressed, make that demanded, that we learn the 20 steps necessary for securing any coil over 40,000 lbs. It included 4 coil racks, 4 rubber mats, 6 chains and a strap over every coil. The securement class seemed very adamant that this be the minimum equipment necessary for the coil. A couple other points they made was it was ALWAYS loaded suicide and if the customer wants it any other way a call to safety was necessary. A strap is thrown over EVERY coil and there is a 3" maximum for the coil to be above the deck.

tweety bird 10-05-2006 01:19 PM

I can't speak for securing coils (so why the heck am I even posting here? just to stir the pot!), but in car haul there was a lot of difference between two drivers loading.

Some guys could load a car in 15 minutes. Some guys took an hour. I'm talking port cars- same cars. I knew two guys who would go into Porsche together and they had a system to load 8 Carreras/Boxters in an enclosed trailer and they'd get both trucks done within 2 hours. It always took us about 2 hours to load just our 1 trailer.

I don't know if they cut corners, but I have a hard time believing they didn't. I know they didn't do as thorough of an inspection as we did, though.

Anyway- my point: some drivers secure faster than others. And I believe the Snowman IS the original "super trucker" and has the belt buckle to proove it :lol:

GoldiesPlating 10-10-2006 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake_Ize
Quote:

Has TMC changed their policy Fred?

NO ABSOLUTELY NOT. This is just how I've done it SOME times. The 20 steps are STILL the RIGHT way to do it.

In orientation they stressed, make that demanded, that we learn the 20 steps necessary for securing any coil over 40,000 lbs. It included 4 coil racks, 4 rubber mats,

true you CAN use 4 racks to keep the wood from bowing on a wide coil. Me? I use two if the coil is narrow but heavy and SOMETIMES 4 if it's wider.

6 chains
and a strap over every coil.

the strap was taught in orientation but was actuallly something I FORGOT until you just reminded me now. I never used one. Actually I don't see the point? I have 60,000-70,000 pounds of securement on a 45,000 pound coil so what the hell's the strap gonna do?

The securement class seemed very adamant that this be the minimum equipment necessary for the coil. A couple other points they made was it was ALWAYS loaded suicide and if the customer wants it any other way a call to safety was necessary. A strap is thrown over EVERY coil and there is a 3" maximum for the coil to be above the deck.

nrvsreck 10-10-2006 02:12 AM

Need to work on your quotes a little better Fred. At first I thought you hadn't posted anything until I started reading through it. :lol:

In TMC-land it's one coil rack per 10,000 lbs of weight. Bad idea to use only two for a 40,000+lb coil. It has nothing to do with the width of the coil. Once you see your oak 4x4's starting to bow you know something's wrong. As far as chains, TMC says one chain (10,000 lbs WLL) for each 10,000 lbs of weight, plus 50%. For a 45,000 lb coil, that means, what, seven chains? Minimum of seven anyway. Put one laterally, then six progressively spaced front and rear. No X-chains, regardless of TMC's policy. That was outlawed several years ago by the federal goverment. That middle one is kind of iffy though, as you won't have much room for your binder. Either way, it's still a good idea to throw one or two straps over the top. Each TMC strap has a WLL of 5,000 lbs. One strap is the equivalent of half a chain. Two straps is one whole chain right over the top. Could save your azz in a tough braking situation. True about loading suicide for 35,000+ lb coils. More than that could upset the balance of the trailer and increases the potential of a rollover. TMC's trailers are designed in such a way that a suicide coil will be balanced perfectly over the framerails, whereas a shotgun coil will have most of it's weight right in the center. Not necessarily the safest method.

special k 10-12-2006 01:24 AM

I don't know about you guys but a lot of mills I go into don't want you to put a chain or strap over the top. Too many guys damaging the coils by tightening the top like it's the only thing holding it on the trailer. I'm with snowman 30 to 60 minutes tops. If I put a strap/chain on the top it's only for decoration and usally hand tight (no cheater bar on a binder) I use 9,000 lb rule and have been checked/inspected numerous times and have never had a problem. Don't forget DOT guys have eyes and can count too If they see you on the road with seven chains and they know most guys go on the 9,000 lb rule how much do they think that coil weighs? Why do you think those local guys put the bare minimum on? Talk to some old-timers about chain tie-downs if you want to scare yourself. Common sense will save more lives than extra chains ever will.

choperbob 10-14-2006 07:52 AM

:shock: i have been pulling a dryvan for 13 months now and that is how long i been driving big trucks, to read some of you folks i better stay where i am at. well now, i managed to get new york coils endorsement which only means i read the book. how many of you drivers started pulling flats without any flatbed experience? from some of the posts i get the impression that the only way to safely pull flats is to have years of flat experience, i don't have the luxury of starting with years of flat exp. so since the topic is sorta about helping us rookies why don't you just give the help i am sure you got early on in your rookie days and keep in mide we all started without exp at some time. thanx

wanderingson 10-15-2006 01:18 AM

I agree with the original poster on this....I think to learn flatbedding with no prior truck driving experience might be too overwhelming for most new drivers. A recipe for disaster, in my opinion. Of course, there could be exceptions, like Goldiesplating, and others who might have a knack for it.

I pulled dry vans for 6 years before getting into flatbeds. I currently do both, but lately mostly flats. With 6 years experience, I was still nervous as hell about my flat loads at first. (still am sometimes :lol: ) I didn't have any classroom training, just a few days out with a driver to show me how its all done. I've learned a lot on my own, and by talking to other drivers.
When you start out flatbedding, you'll find yourself watching the load in your mirrors more than watching the road ahead of you. At least I did.
Not a good thing for a new driver to be worrying about the securement of the load, and being distracted with that. A new driver needs to focus more on just driving the truck safely. Just my opinion.

Here is a link that will be helpful, for vets and newbies alike. It's about cargo securement, from the FMCSA website. Lots of good info in there!
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul.../cs-policy.htm

GoldiesPlating 10-16-2006 04:04 AM

Is this the "ostrich syndrome"? Dry van loads can be just as dangerous, the difference is you can't SEE the load. So you're telling me if you can't see it it won't hurt you, or it's safer?? At least if something starts going wrong on a flatbed, you can see it and fix it before it kills you.

uglymutt 10-16-2006 05:29 AM

OMG, hehehehehehehehehehe , sorry but I just have to laugh.... you all crack me up

One 10-16-2006 06:22 AM

Quote:

Is this the "ostrich syndrome"? Dry van loads can be just as dangerous, the difference is you can't SEE the load. So you're telling me if you can't see it it won't hurt you, or it's safer?? At least if something starts going wrong on a flatbed, you can see it and fix it before it kills you.

Most of the freight in dryboxes is not nearly as prone to 'growing legs and going sightseeing' on you. Yes, maybe the odd pallettized coil or a pipe or two in my LTL trailers but mostly boxes...One thing you have to consider are the laws of friction: It takes way more energy to get something sliding than it does to keep it sliding- therefore if in the rare occasion a dryvay does haul a small coil or small coils on palletts, even if its 20 palletts of pallettized coils, they are nowhere nearly as dangerous as a single large coil or pipe on a flat.
Some reasons I think this is so is first of all the palletts are pushed against eachother from the bulkhead back, so the friction surface is exponentially larger than the few square inches where the coilrack and lumber touch your rubber-mat and deck on a flat- therfore it takes a good bit to get all 20 palletts moving at the same time and then you still have to consider the strengh of the bulkhead where the palletts touch. If one of the front one leaned over it would likely not muster enough momentum to go through the bulkhead.
There is not much possibility for securement in a drybox, some have e-tracks for loadbars with are strong, but most dont. loadlocks with rubber pads pushing against the walls can only help prevent something from tipping over and are used mostly on the end of the load where forces can only push backward.
I really think that the big difference is the friction surface and the fact that in a van you have more high volume items and MORE items than in flatbeds...All in all there is a whole lot less to worry about in vans than in flats, and that is what the point of the tread was b4 it turned into another 'How to secure a coil' thread we have so many of..

redsfan 10-16-2006 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One
All in all there is a whole lot less to worry about in vans than in flats, and that is what the point of the tread was b4 it turned into another 'How to secure a coil' thread we have so many of..

I would concede the fact on friction and the ability to move forward in a van due to the bulkhead. Although a bulkhead or coil block used on a flat is much stronger than the sheet metal front on a van trailer. The huge difference to me is the ability for a skidded coil, or anything heavy for that matter to, to bounce in a dry van. There is nothing to secure it to the floor at all and the coils are only held to the pallet by small bands which are not meant to be a securement at all. Once it bounces and breaks loose there is nothing to stop the coil from moving forward.

A securement in flatbed is not only meant to prevent forward or aft movement, it is also meant to keep it from bouncing as well. There is nothing to prevent this type of movement in a dryvan.

A skidded coil was just an example that was used. The original post was that flatbedding is not for noobs. This is entirely one person's opinion, nothing factual here at all. The coils were used as a reference from flatbedders to show that if you've been properly trained in securement, there's no reason for a newbie to be scared of starting out in flatbed either.

One 10-21-2006 01:43 PM

With an airride trailor there wont be much bouncing if atall...with a spring trailer thats light, or you lock up the brakes, yes....But so what? If its loaded right, it can bounce, as long as it has no space to wander around due to space around the pallet....a loadlock on the rear will prevent wandering to the back...Am I wrong?