Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Hazardous Materials Endorsement (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20983-hazardous-materials-endorsement.html)

tjv189 09-30-2006 11:41 PM

Hazardous Materials Endorsement

Hello everyone, I have a question about the HAZMAT endorsement. I understand that after you pass the knowledge test you must get your fingerprints taken and have a background check done. My question is once you pass the written test, those of you that have the endorsement, how long did it take to get the background check done and have you cleared? In other words, how long from the time of completing the written test to when you acctually have the H endorsement on your CDL or CDL permit? Thanks in advance.

heavenbound 09-30-2006 11:48 PM

Well after i renewed mine, it took about 3 months. Thats the only test you have to re-take each 5 years in Texas, not sure about other states.

ben45750 10-01-2006 12:20 AM

Mine took 6 weeks in Ohio.

One 10-01-2006 12:41 AM

3 wks in GA...they really only care about the fingerprints and if you have a criminal record or not. They sold s this law promising safety from terrorism using hazmat, but thats another story....

Oldernewbie 10-01-2006 01:06 AM

I took and passed my HAZMAT test when I took my permit test, in Florida. Couldn't process the b/g check/fingerprints until I passed my CDL tests, then they told me it would be anywhere from 30 till 90 days before the prints and b/g test cleared and they'd send me an updated CDL with the HAZMAT endorsement.

So it looks like it depends on the state you are in.

yoopr 10-01-2006 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavenbound
Well after i renewed mine, it took about 3 months. Thats the only test you have to re-take each 5 years in Texas, not sure about other states.

Have to retake the test every time you renew your CDL in Michigan.

Uturn2001 10-01-2006 02:38 AM

It really depends on how things are running at any given time on how long it will take for the background check to be processed fully. It may take a couple of weeks or it could take 3 months or so.

=================================================
5 years Heavenbound on hazmat????? I thought part of the TSA's new rules was a maximum of 4 years in between renewing the endorsements and having the background check run again.

Jackrabbit379 10-01-2006 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Have to retake the test every time you renew your CDL in Michigan.

:shock: MAN! I probably wouldnt have my CDL if that was the case here. :P

Like heavenbound said,you have to retake the haz-mat test every 5 years,but,for the renewing the CDL,you just pay for it.

Bigmon 10-02-2006 12:22 AM

Mine took 2 days.