Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Truck stop wars (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20724-truck-stop-wars.html)

Karnajj 09-23-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Flying J does this to attempt to take business away from T/A's lousy wifi service.

Both of them are lousy, though, IMO. Wireless aircard beats them both, hands down.

But at $700/yr its way too expensive.

bigtimba 09-24-2006 12:35 AM

It happens all the time . .

. . thankfully. I'm at the Pilot, next door to the "worlds largest truck stop" and using a (nowhere to be seen) Flying J signal. I didn't look but my machine hooked right up to it so it must be the strongest signal.

My preferences are right in line with a previous poster . . I have an annual with FJ, get monthly TA's, depending on the region I'm running and get Sirriflop dailies, but only as a last resort. I have never tried the cellular option as I, too, think the rates and restrictions are outrageous. If any of you have found that the cellular speed has improved over the last year or two, post your findings here . . I play a fair amount of on-line poker and get really po'd when a crappy signal forces me out of a good hand/tournament.

mike3fan 09-24-2006 02:28 AM

Re: It happens all the time . .

Quote:

I, too, think the rates and restrictions are outrageous. If any of you have found that the cellular speed has improved over the last year or two, post your findings here . . I play a fair amount of on-line poker and get really po'd when a crappy signal forces me out of a good hand/tournament.
I have verizion and download videos,music from itunes and play poker all the time and plus I run a web cam most of the day while driving and have never heard a word from Verizon,the speeds are fine,and excellent around major cities.If you don't have this service i advise getting it.

The Killer Rabbit 09-24-2006 02:45 AM

Quote:

I run a web cam most of the day while driving
you run a webcam all day?
Like what..so people can see you driving or where your at?
I thought of that so my girlfriend can click on me whenever she wants, or friends or whatever seeing what i do etc.
Thats interesting, Do you have a webpage for this?

TKR

mike3fan 09-24-2006 03:36 AM

yes I run it so my girlfreind can "ride" along with me,we use www.paltalk.com

09-24-2006 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

What is a wireless aircard? Where can you get them?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1821

This is what I use and love it,you can get internet anywhere you have cell reception,it cost me $59.99 a month unlimited usage but I see now it is $49.99

Thanks for the info!

Windwalker 09-24-2006 07:11 AM

Flying J operates their WIFI services through "Tonservices". Officially, it is a seperate entity from Flying J, but it is owned by Flying J. Just like "Transportation Alliance Bank" is one of Flying J's branches. They also offer insurance. So, there are a number of locations where Flying J has WIFI set up at another business next to other truck stops. I believe T/A may be a bit upset about that, because they will not accept anything from a Flying J account. TCH cards are not accepted at T/As and neither is my debit card from TAB.

For those of you that have good service from T/A's WIFI, I'm happy for you. I went online at two different T/As and will never do that again. Both times, I had to have it REPROGRAMMED FOR ALMOST $200 because something got in and corrupted the software. The second time, all I did was connect. Didn't even get to start surfing the WEB. It was like T/A doesn't want us to have working computers. I have not had any problems at Flying Js. So, if you use T/A's WIFI, beware....

stanger92 09-24-2006 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3fan
Quote:

What is a wireless aircard? Where can you get them?
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=1821

This is what I use and love it,you can get internet anywhere you have cell reception,it cost me $59.99 a month unlimited usage but I see now it is $49.99

it says on the site in major cities only? :?:

can I get it anywhere my phone works?

mike3fan 09-24-2006 04:21 PM

yes it works anywhere you can get a signal,around major cities is where broadband is available,When I run across PA on 80 I only lose signal once for the whole stretch and last about 5 miles.

JBenson2 09-24-2006 05:05 PM

According to the website, there are two Verizon Calling Plans with the Air Card, but the descriptions are very vague. They do not mention their download speed.

Broadband Access $79/month
Our high-speed wireless broadband network
Map: restricted to just the major cities

National Access $59/month
Connect to the Internet faster than dial-up
Map: more coverage, but half of Texas is not covered