Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Loading/Unloading (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20686-loading-unloading.html)

Caramel1968 09-21-2006 02:44 AM

Loading/Unloading

For OTR drivers that's been on the road for less than two years, how often have you loaded or unloaded a trailer NOT by choice? (forced, no lumper around, no lumper pay authorized) I need to hear it straight from the source.

choperbob 09-21-2006 03:29 PM

2 times i had a driver unload, but both times reciever had laborers there just to make sure load was correct. we are drivers not lumpers. most companies have too much $ invested in new drivers training that usually they do not want us unloading. only been driving 1 year now. hope this helps.

Malaki86 09-22-2006 09:06 AM

It's only happened to me once, and that was when I was with a 20 truck carrier. The dispatcher didn't see that it was a lumper load, and I found out the hard way at 2am, with no extra cash on me.

It wasn't 'forced', as they had lumpers available, but I had no choice in the matter at the time.

One 09-22-2006 12:34 PM

I loaded 5 boxes once! :D I didnt mind the little bit of excercise! Every field in trucking is different, but one thing is for sure: If I unload anything, Im gonna be paid for it! I wouldnt touch a thing for less than 15/hr. I would never agree to unload more than a few skids solo. Never more than a few hrs work... What do you haul? groceries? We need more info!!!

Uturn2001 09-23-2006 06:23 PM

It all depends on the company you work for. I know of companies that will not pay for lumpers or will only pay so much for a lumper and if you can not find one for that price you either pay the difference or unload it yourself.

WildK9 09-23-2006 06:29 PM

been driving since '97 and i've NEVER touched a thing, be it loading or unloading.

PhuzzyGnu 09-23-2006 07:39 PM

I load all the time.

Many of the places I pickup haz-waste don't have docks- go figure. I get my workout loading a full 53' drum load.

It's alright, I get paid enough and it's good exercise.

-p.

Tobytob 09-23-2006 07:50 PM

Caramel1968, I have unloaded a few times, all by choice I have never been forced to do any unloading, lumpers were always avaiable.

The few time tht I did unload it was a pallet jack pull off and it was always in the middle of the street in NY, CA, or DC. These customers didn't have docks, so I had to unload in the street. Pulled the freight to the end of the trailer so the customer could pick it up with a forklift. This never takes me more than 30-45 mins.

Other than that I Haven't met a driver yet that told me he was forced to unload his trailer. I think those days are almost over. Most of the time a lumper is available.

One 09-24-2006 06:53 AM

pulling a few pallets out w/ a pallet jack or throwing a few boxes i dont even consider as unloading....but hours of work is different in my eyes. When I was a mover i unloaded of course, but i dont even consider that trucking, its moving!

Nulldev 09-24-2006 09:30 AM

I was a local driver for a pop company, and my biggest day, hand bombed more than 16,000 lbs of pop with a wheeler, across parking lots, over curbs, up stairs, into stores, and onto the shelf.

After that, I was running groceries for a while. Responsible to get the pallets onto the dock, that was all. However, I would often do a bit more, to get things done faster - and ensure I could be done in my 15 hours (Alberta, Canada - changing soon). Also, I'm young. And after the pop job, the extra work was easy. It was time that was more of a concern.