Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Etiquette Question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20525-etiquette-question.html)

Markk9 09-17-2006 02:23 AM

Etiquette Question

What would you do?

You are in line at the receiver at 2000 hrs you are third in line. The receiver opens at 0500. You get up at 0430, at 0455 neither truck in front is moving or running. Would you go into the receiver and cut in front of the line or try and wake up the other drivers?

Me, I go into the receiver and get my door. I did this today and a SWIFT driver got very up-set. I told him to take a hike, he was not moving, the place opens at 0500.

It should not be my job to wake them. How hard is it to set an alarm clock?

Mark

yoopr 09-17-2006 02:28 AM

Passing someone at a dock is a no no

GMAN 09-17-2006 02:41 AM

You don't cut in front of another truck. It would have been better to have knocked on his door. I am sure that you would not have appreciated having someone else cut in front of you.

Markk9 09-17-2006 02:50 AM

GMAN & yoopr, I respect what you two write, but beg to differ on this one.

If someone cut in front of me because I didn't get up how can I be angry at anyone but myself.

If you drive a truck you are a big boy and should be able to get up on your own. I went and looked in the two trucks in front of me and neither drive was up. It's not my job to wake you up.

I will not wake a sleeping drive unless its and emergency or they are blocking me in.

Mark

Uturn2001 09-17-2006 03:22 AM

IMHO, it is a judgement call.

What I would do is see if their is any sign of life in either truck ahead of me and if not then I would proceed on in if it was my appointment time. If there is signs of someone moving about I would ask them if they are heading up to check in and then take my place in line behind the other drivers.

You never know, and usually have no way of knowing when those other trucks appointment time(s) are. For all you know they may be a day early and are there hoping to get unloaded early.

Since we are on the subject here is a little trick for those times you are at a shipper/reciever way early and are trying to take your break b4 checking in.

Tape a sign to your drivers side window that says "Appointment Time.....Then print the time." or get one of those "Will Return Clocks" and tape over the Will Return and write in Appointment. It may not stop everyone from knocking on your door, but it will cut it down, especially in the daytime.

BigDawg 09-17-2006 03:23 AM

Hmmmmm i looks in my crystal ball and see a good old fashioned azz whipping coming to some one's way if this habit keeps up and besides ppl.have been shot for alot less.

Uturn2001 09-17-2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Hmmmmm i looks in my crystal ball and see a good old fashioned azz whipping coming to some one's way if this habit keeps up and besides ppl.have been shot for alot less.

For what? Cutting in line or waking up a sleeping driver?

I have seen some nasty words and a couple of fights break out in both situations.

Fourcats 09-17-2006 03:32 AM

If the reciever/shipper gives you a door, your up :D .

Next time the other driver will be ready....maybe.

Markk9 09-17-2006 03:46 AM

May be a little more back round would help. The receiver is a beer distribtor, they open at 0500, first come first servered. They don't have appointment time, just be there between 0500 at 1400.

Mark

BigDawg 09-17-2006 03:57 AM

Sounds like the Budweiser dist. in Knoxville Tenn.