Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Securing shingles (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20380-securing-shingles.html)

fastereddie 09-12-2006 10:08 PM

Securing shingles

Reading through the load securement handbook:
if there is a headerboard only a single strap needed (for a flat of shingles)
-one flat weighs about 2 tons> so you could have 8 tons secured by one strap???(2 wide - 2 across)
Does this seems right?

Rawlco 09-13-2006 01:17 AM

With a headerboard the solid front structure will stop the load from sliding into the cab with you, so all you need to do legally is keep it from sliding back when you accelerate.

Securing 10% of 8 tons calls for a strap rated at 1600 pounds, which I imagine your strap is, However I would put on more straps if you have them. More is better. :wink:

Uturn2001 09-13-2006 03:06 AM

I do not know what the "book" says anymore about flatbed securement, but back when I pulled flatbeds and ahauled shingles I always tossed 2 straps on the first pallet and 2 on the last and 1 for every pallet in between. and then tarped it. I also used 4 inch straps.

The one thing that you must always do when hauling anything on a flatbed is to figure the relationship between the weight of each piece and the working load limit of your securement device. If you properly secure a flatbed load you should be able to lay the truck over on its side and never loose a single item.

terrylamar 09-13-2006 03:22 AM

What is this "load securement handbook" some of you are talking about. I did a search and came up with many hit. FMCSA has one on their website that can be printed. Other than that is there one that is more used than any other, the standard for the industry in other words?

ssoutlaw 09-13-2006 06:20 AM

Re: Securing shingles

Quote:

Originally Posted by fastereddie
Reading through the load securement handbook:
if there is a headerboard only a single strap needed (for a flat of shingles)
-one flat weighs about 2 tons> so you could have 8 tons secured by one strap???(2 wide - 2 across)
Does this seems right?

I think the 2 strap is new for brick, I always use 2 in front and 2 on rear then 1 for the rest. I also use V boards made from 4" straps 3 footers and 6 footers of 1 x 4 boards. If you have a flatbed you always need a headache rack, but if you rely on it to keep you safe then stay off the road where the rest of us are!

nrvsreck 09-13-2006 10:13 AM

Never rely on a header board or headache rack to stop a load. That's what proper securement is for. For shingles or any other palettized load I'd throw one 4" strap for each set of palettes, then X-strap the front and rear with 2" straps. You can also horseshoe chain the front and rear palettes for that warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing them things ain't going anywhere. :)

GMAN 09-13-2006 03:19 PM

I will mention one other thing. A headboard or headache rack will not stop a heavy improperly secured load. If you are not comfortable with the way your load is secured, throw another strap or chain. Too much won't hurt. Not enough and someone can get killed or seriously injured.

fastereddie 09-13-2006 11:21 PM

http://www.highwaystarmagazine.com/i...r_Handbook.pdf
Here's where I got the info from.

Windwalker 09-14-2006 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
I will mention one other thing. A headboard or headache rack will not stop a heavy improperly secured load. If you are not comfortable with the way your load is secured, throw another strap or chain. Too much won't hurt. Not enough and someone can get killed or seriously injured.

There have been ocassions when someone HAS gotten killed. Even with shingles. I've never hauled a variety with 2 and 1 across. It's always been 3 and 1 across. On the first pallet and the last pallet, I always used 2 straps. The ones in between, I used 1 strap, but picked up the 1 across and laid it on top of the 3 so that ALL bundles were under the strap. About 12 years ago, one of the companies in WI paid off on a "WRONGFUL DEATH" claim because the driver threw a strap over the pallet and left the 1 across loose. It came of and went through the windshield of a car, killing the driver. Always, when strapping bundles of shingles, make sure that your strap is effective on ALL bundles and that there are none that escape the tension of the strap.