Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   US XPRESS (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20242-us-xpress.html)

Caramel1968 09-19-2006 10:39 PM

No More CDL School?

I called a recruiter yesterday, and she told me that they don't offer the CDL training anymore. Is this true? What happened?

Malaki86 09-20-2006 12:08 AM

They stopped the cdl course last year. They will take newbies right out of school, however.

Tailgunner 09-23-2006 02:28 AM

Regarding to the earlier posting of some OTR companies not requiring HAZMAT. Its true, but you have a deadline to aquire it. Each company is different deadline wise. So in basic terms most of them are lying when no HAZMAT is needed. The only true non HAZMAT is flatbed which most of the time you wont run any HAZMAT at all. there is like a 1-5% chance of it happening. Most haul steel, lumber, etc. I have seen one flatbedder hauling 2 holding tanks with radioactive IIs placards on it.

ghost_ryder 09-23-2006 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tailgunner
Regarding to the earlier posting of some OTR companies not requiring HAZMAT. Its true, but you have a deadline to aquire it. Each company is different deadline wise. So in basic terms most of them are lying when no HAZMAT is needed. The only true non HAZMAT is flatbed which most of the time you wont run any HAZMAT at all. there is like a 1-5% chance of it happening. Most haul steel, lumber, etc. I have seen one flatbedder hauling 2 holding tanks with radioactive IIs placards on it.

This was not the case with USX however. I remember the head guy answering this exact question in orientation a year ago. They will hire you without hazmat and they do not force you to get it. If you have it (i do) they may get you a load here and there. They do not require it. Although while I was with them, I not once got a hazmat load even though I had that.

Sans Argonauts 09-23-2006 04:32 AM

For what it's worth... I never had a HAZMAT load the year I was with USX. Just general freight....

two4theroad 09-25-2006 08:57 AM

new driver

Hubby and I both came to USX right out of school. We went with separate trainers and then became seated in our own truck. After being with them two months we were issued a brand new truck. New policy for new drivers you have to have Haz Mat. But they give bonuses for the haz mat loads. No matter where you go make sure you have a good rapor with your dispatcher. Driver liaison with USX is also very helpful
Good luck with your test and any decisions you make

USXRecruiter4080 09-25-2006 01:37 PM

I am a recruiter with US Xpress, as im sure the name gave away, and we do NOT require hazmat endorsement EVER. We prefer it, but will never force it upon you. If you were interested in getting it, however, we would reimburse up to $96 of the cost of the background check and fingerprints and all of that good stuff.

I personally would get it if I were in the truck, but from what I understand it's just a big hassle sometimes. Almost as if you have to give your first born just to get the endorsement. lol.

As to the previous poster interested in us, feel free to call me with any questions. I, unlike many others, will shoot you straight about us and the whole industry in general. 800-251-6291 ext 3659. The name is Lee.

One 09-25-2006 02:11 PM

I like this guy! :D

meimeimisfit 09-25-2006 05:37 PM

The directions suck at U.S.Xpress. They are put in the qual-com by drivers. If it says go south don't count on it. Blvd may mean street. Many times I have been told don't call shipper for directions. You're not paid hub miles and sometimes it can take what seems like forever to find the place, burning up your hours. I can't afford a navagation system yet and it's very frustrating. I hardly ever talk to the same dispacter twice, if they even respond. Maybe it's just me but i'm just about to the breaking point with this company. And no, they do not require haz-mat. I was hired right out of school with-out that indorsement.

Malaki86 09-25-2006 07:49 PM

No, not all the directions on the Qualcomm @ USX come from other drivers. I've gotten directions from the shipper/receiver that exactly matched what the qualcomm said, and they were fine for a car, but not a truck.

There are *VERY FEW* companies that pay hub miles. Almost all pay HHG miles, and some that pay practical miles.

Get in touch with a driver liason and tell them that you need a new DM. They'll get you one.