Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   DriveCam Installed In Your Tractor? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20203-drivecam-installed-your-tractor.html)

Sheepdancer 09-11-2006 05:01 PM

personally, I think its a great idea for drivers....like Yoopr said, it can protect you. I also think you will always have people that oppose things like this. The "paranoid big brother is watching" crowd.
I think cameras are here to stay and we will just keep seeing more and more of them.
A little story about how cameras saved me from trouble not too long ago. Starting a few months ago we were having trouble with a drunk neighbor and his juvinile delequint son. I felt there was going to be some sort of trouble with them so i installed 5 cameras around my house all hooked up to a DVR. We caught the juvinile delequint son shooting our windows out with a BB gun and called the cops. 2 days later "drunk dad" was in our yard threatening my wife and kids which ended with me holding "drunk dad and his trashy wife" at gun point in my yard while the cops were on the way. He tried to deny threating my wife and kids and wanted me arrested for the gun. The cameras saved me....in fact the cop even told me by the looks of his and his wifes actions toward my wife and kids on the recording, I probably could have gotten away with killing them both.

One 09-11-2006 07:32 PM

true, Sheepdancer, it could help...besides, trucks are usually single drivers and no witnesses to accident...everyone will be a witness when its your fault, but noone will be a witness when its not...I guess the key is to be able to review the recording to see if it plays in your favor or not before submitting it into evidence. Im sure the carrier will do that, they ARE trying to reduce claims...

Mr. Ford95 09-12-2006 08:57 PM

The better way is to have camera's all the way around the truck, not just one facing out the front window. Have one on the rear somewhere and maybe two on each side. Then you can see if someone was just being plain dumb and trying to take on the truck on purpose or if the driver simply screwed up.

Sentinel 09-13-2006 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
The better way is to have camera's all the way around the truck, not just one facing out the front window. Have one on the rear somewhere and maybe two on each side. Then you can see if someone was just being plain dumb and trying to take on the truck on purpose or if the driver simply screwed up.

Cameras all around would also be a great way to help prevent backing accidents. It could give you a quick view from the cab as you are moving.

T * Storm 09-13-2006 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel
... and being truthful when you are approached by law enforcement...

Umm...DON'T TALK TO ANYONE, Including "the law" until you call safety and contact an attorney. Co - operate with what ever the LEO asks you to do, but DON'T volunteer ANYTHING.

movinit 09-13-2006 09:18 AM

I have to cast my vote with the ones that say cameras can help you and can only hurt you if you deserve it. After all if you are doing your job, then you really shouldn't fear the camera. I would much rather have video backing up my story to the LEO's, attorneys and courts than be sitting in jail knowing I wasn't at fault. but some overpaid sleazeball attorney got the jury to believe otherwise.

Sentinel 09-13-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T * Storm
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel
... and being truthful when you are approached by law enforcement...

Volunteering...DON'T TALK TO ANYONE, Including "the law" until you call safety and contact an attorney. Co - operate with what ever the LEO asks you to do, but DON'T volunteer ANYTHING.

Being new I hope I never have to. But Murphy's law says at some point I may have to speak with LEO, even if it is as a witness to an accident. Thanks for the "Not Volunteering" any information suggestion! I know each situation is different, but at what point is it recommended that the conversation cease or at what point would it be best to ask LEO to cease before discussing it with company? Since Peace Officers encounter so many accidents, not necessarily trucks involved, are they used to truck drivers' requests to cease the questioning?

I've always been up front and honest with my dealings and never had any problems. Of course I never drove for a living before so have not had the experiences you all have had.

ghost_ryder 09-13-2006 10:32 PM

Re: DriveCam Installed In Your Tractor?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamin Eagle
In light of the recent low bridge toppings and rollovers in the Northeast, my company went ahead and installed a small but obvious camera on my windshield to help identify, resolve and control erratic driver behaviors and the high costs of roadway safety.

This device automatically records everything the CDL driver sees and hears in the 20 seconds before, during, & after the ?event?. Events are stored in the unit?s digital memory, along with the level of G-forces on the vehicle, and are regularly reviewed by the fleet safety director for corrective action.

http://www.drivecam.com/

Good idea or Big Brother at work??? :shock:

Not sure I like that. Reason being, it seems like something more to "spy" on drivers instead of safety reasons. When you look at those photos on that site, you will see what I mean. They want to make us think its for safety reasons, then next thing you know, you are in an office watching tapes and they are criticizing your driving. The cam won't show the big picture. For example, say you drive off the road to avoid a car coming in from the right that ran a red light, that cam will only show YOU driving off the road. It won't show that car who just ran that red light. Now you have to hope they believe you.

Longsnowsm 09-14-2006 03:31 AM

This particular product looks more like a "watch the driver" not a "record the events" sort of device. If your a fleet operator and have problems with unsafe drivers this might be a good tool for the company, but I have my doubts on the benefits to the driver.

On the cameras idea though it would be nice if the trailor had built in cameras(side and rear) and a backup sensor to assist the driver from within the cab and that the driver can switch camera views to help with parking and tight spot.s It would be nice to warn the driver when backing that someone or something is behind the truck(proximity parking sensor). I see new cars are coming out with these features and I can see how they would be a huge benefit for the truck driver. One can only hope that these simple technologies make their way into trucking. These cameras and sensors are not that expensive so it should be doable to retrofit existing trailers for this sort of setup.

Longsnowsm

yoopr 09-14-2006 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movinit
I have to cast my vote with the ones that say cameras can help you and can only hurt you if you deserve it. After all if you are doing your job, then you really shouldn't fear the camera. I would much rather have video backing up my story to the LEO's, attorneys and courts than be sitting in jail knowing I wasn't at fault. but some overpaid sleazeball attorney got the jury to believe otherwise.

We have enough Regulations on the Books-If you're a good driver this isn't necessary.
We've gone in the Trucking business For a LONG time without it and we can live without someone watching over our Shoulders once again.
10 yrs ago or so California wanted everybody Entering THEIR state to have a Black Box so CHP could disable a Truck.
This is just another thing on a long and slippery slope.
My Opinion