User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Ask the 100 people if they have more money than you.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 PM
Senior Board Member

You brought up some good points Gman, In the lot where i park there was a service truck that just finished a repair on a truck another guy asked the service guy for a jump and he wanted $200 ! Considering he was already there I (and the other driver) thought that was kinda high. BTW his truck started right up within seconds of the cables being hooked up.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I worked for farmer O/O's who for the most part, did their own repairs and maintenance. As a company driver, it was expected of me too. It's just the way they do things. I kept a tool kit, jumper cables and my WD-40 and duct tape with me, and I did my own trailer greasing and brake adjustments.

There were a few times on the road I needed to figure things out for myself. One time it was my own fault, as I ran out of fuel about 5 miles from the truck stop I was trying to make it to. I had to drain some fuel from my reefer tank to save myself from a big roadside rescue bill. No way my boss was going to pay for this screw up, and I wasn't sure I wanted to tell him, but I did and he laughed, and said he ran out of fuel once in Chicago.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
You brought up some good points Gman, In the lot where i park there was a service truck that just finished a repair on a truck another guy asked the service guy for a jump and he wanted $200 ! Considering he was already there I (and the other driver) thought that was kinda high. BTW his truck started right up within seconds of the cables being hooked up.

Yea, I had something similar happen with one of my drivers at a scale in California several years ago. The driver had not apparently been doing his pre-trips and the scale found a couple of things that had to be repaired. There was a mechanic at the scale working on another truck. He wanted to charge me for coming out, even though he was already at the scale. Several years ago I was at a TA in Illinois or Indiana, I believe. I had a battery issue. I was sitting about 50 feet from their service bay. They wanted to charge me for a road call to come and boost me off!!!! I was able to find another trucker who was willing to boost me off. Rather than buy a battery from that TA, I kept the truck running until I got back home. Some of these people really think that they can get away with shaking down truckers. I think we need to expose them for their ill gotten gain. It is one thing to be charge a road call if someone actually has to come out for a service call. It is another when they are already on sight and sitting on their property. I will still try to find another company to come out if I need a service call. TA would be my last call due to that incident and another that I won't go into right now.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I worked for farmer O/O's who for the most part, did their own repairs and maintenance. As a company driver, it was expected of me too. It's just the way they do things. I kept a tool kit, jumper cables and my WD-40 and duct tape with me, and I did my own trailer greasing and brake adjustments.

There were a few times on the road I needed to figure things out for myself. One time it was my own fault, as I ran out of fuel about 5 miles from the truck stop I was trying to make it to. I had to drain some fuel from my reefer tank to save myself from a big roadside rescue bill. No way my boss was going to pay for this screw up, and I wasn't sure I wanted to tell him, but I did and he laughed, and said he ran out of fuel once in Chicago.

It sounds like the guy had a good sense of humor. When I first started driving most people carried a few tools with them. Back then, most truckers would stop and help you if you were broke down. It has been a long time since I have had another trucker stop to offer help. Communications were primarily the CB when I started out. In fact, up until about 10 years ago, most people talked a lot on the CB. Nearly all drivers would at least keep a pair of pliers, screwdriver and electrical tape in the truck. In fact, most would have more tools. You carried patches for your tires. We had inner tubes back then and split rims. It was not uncommon to change a tire on the side of the road. Most drivers today refuse to even change out a marker light. I still keep tools in my truck and DUCT TAPE. I have actually used duct tape to put my hood back together and driven from California after another driver hit my truck (twice).
Old 01-30-2016, 02:06 AM
Board Icon

I have a company truck, I still keep a few tools on the truck though. Company bought them for me, makes it easier if I can fix it and get going vs sending out our only mechanic. I work in the shop normally on slow days so its not like I'm a complete fool when it comes to fixing the truck. I typically am the one doing the services on it anyways. My next request is to get an air hose I can hook into my air via the gladhand so I can air up a low tire vs waiting to get into our 1 door shop. But again, all the tools I have are company owned! So yes, money can be made as long as your smart, safe and not lazy! Just gotta keep your eyes and ears open for those good paying jobs and stick it out as a company driver to start.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It is usually best to start out as a company driver rather than buying a truck right at the start of your new adventure. It is easier to learn off the other guy's nickel than your own. It helps if you have some business experience. This can be a tough business. Some won't even change out a marker light. If you expect to turn a profit in this business, you do what you can to cut costs, especially when we are in a down economy, like today. I am doing some work on my truck that will save me several hundred dollars in labor costs. With what some mechanics charge, you save where you can.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:26 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockkrak View Post
Im not trying to start a arguement but im curious. If i ask 100 people about getting into trucking in any form i hear the same old story "na you dont wanna do that aint no money in it". Meanwhile a brand new pete pride and class is $150k+ so whos paying the bills on these trucks and buying all the accersories and maint items. My neighbor has two pride trucks in the driveway. They move once a week at most. He is always home in 24 hours or less. He hauls liquid ashphalt i believe. Come on guys let me
Have it!
It's still out there, but not as much as it used to be. Up till I was disqualified, I was at close to 75K a year, I realize if our salary went up like costs do, we would be at 6 figures, but for right now, pay is still pretty decent once you break away from the starter companies
Old 03-05-2020, 12:08 PM
Rookie
Default no money in trucking

With all the new laws and e-logs, it is tuff to make good money in driving. If you drive a company truck, you can make fairly good money because the company pays the expense of fuel and repairs and tolls. I myself would not buy a truck
Old 04-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Rookie

How about some local trucking (Think IKEA deliveries for a cheaper delivery, like furniture taxi) ? Is it good idea?