User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Why did you choose a career driving? Advice for the younger generation?

Why did you choose a career driving? Why should the younger generation consider a career as a truck driver and what advice do you have for them?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 PM
Board Icon

I didn't choose it so much as it chose me. My company needed a driver, I was the only one they trusted to get my license AND stay along with not tearing the equipment up. It has definitely opened doors for me, IF, I need to go elsewhere for a job.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:29 PM
Rookie

I like being alone and also like driving and just thinking about things. I was in office jobs most of my life and the stress was usually pretty bad. Finally at age 52 I went into trucking after being laid off from the office work (computer programming). It was exciting to be out there and free. All the usual good stuff you hear about the open road, etc. Yes, there are bad times, lack of sleep, problems of all sorts that you can't avoid, but it is soooooo much more enjoyable than the office work I had been doing. I only earned 2/3 of my computer programming salary, but that was OK. I was so glad never to have to program again.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:50 PM
Senior Board Member

I started in the trucking business back in 1976 washing and fueling trucks but didn't start driving till sometime around 05. In between I managed to ruin my hands, knees and back and a head injury that still gives me migraines a few times a year. I made a lot more money then but worked a lot harder for it too.
So here I am living the easy life making decent money with all the love and benefits that truckers get from their employers.

It's an easy career to get into, as long as your fairly responsible and not a druggie or drunk. Like most jobs you have to get a little experience to make the 'big' bucks but honestly how many 20 something year olds do you know that spent 2-4 years in college and still only make 30,000-40,000 a year? As a driver you can easily hit 35 in the first 12 months of being on your own.
Young and married especially with kids and being OTR would be very challenging, local or regional wouldn't be as bad but pay's less.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 01-03-2016, 06:48 PM
Rookie

I have held a commercial drivers license since my 21st birthday. I have always considered it a requirement to mature and has allowed me the opportunity to never be unemployed. I originally drove OTR for a couple of years, joined the USAF, got married, divorced, got a college degree and worked many jobs other than drive. A driving career is relative in that you'll peak at a typical 50k as a company driver so you'll better enjoy what you do. My 2€