User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hurdles to Overcome---Driving CDL?

Hi all,

I'm checking into getting my CDL and i "think" I've got some hurdles to overcome.

I was looking for some constructive input from the experienced guys and how to get there.

I want to drive CDL but not sure if i can get there.

1. Anxiety issues. I take Xanax when i need it for personal issues going on right now. I can ween myself off, but it will take some time and counseling (mom is in a nursing home and fading on me).

2. Sleep. I'm taking a sleep med called Restoril. I am slowly weening myself off it...but its taking time. Looking for substitutes to this med...that won't be counted against me. I have been using this med for a couple of years and have keep my present job without any problems (desk job, insurance). I don't feel it impairs my driving in anyway as i drive the highways on a regular basis in a large METRO area. Believe me, i'm on my toes here when i get in the car. HAVE no moving violations for YEARS now.

Other than the above, i'm clean. I have no felonies, and a clean driving record. I have a good attitude and willing to work.

Any tips or constructive input is greatly appreciated...thanks!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

If I were you I'd put truckin on hold for awhile till you get things sorted out. I'm sorry to hear about your mom and while that wouldn't keep you from driving it would be a HUGE distraction (justifiable). The Zanax/Anxiety I think would be a big disqualifier and the sleep meds wouldn't help either. Any Ins company would look at that probably say DO NOT HIRE!
Best to wait than toss $4-6 grand to a CDL school and then find no one will hire you.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Board Regular

Go get a dot physical before you do anything else.

That'll tell you if you qualify medically. Then go from there.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndriver View Post
Go get a dot physical before you do anything else.

That'll tell you if you qualify medically. Then go from there.
thanks mn,

i don't think i will have a problem passing the DOT physical. It will answering the questions on the job application about meds...and answering truthfully.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman78 View Post
thanks mn,

i don't think i will have a problem passing the DOT physical. It will answering the questions on the job application about meds...and answering truthfully.
Whatever you do, don't falsify the matter of meds. (not saying you would) That could come back to bite you, and you could be facing prison time if things suddenly go seriously wrong.