User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 06:48 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Cell Companies???

I was wondering what companies would give the best overall coverage across the US? East of 35? Southeast region? I have lived in the south most of my life and have used several cell phone providers and have determined that it really depends on where I live to which one is going to be the best for me. Does anyone have an opinion on who they feel gives the best coverage as they travel the country? With towers going up constantly providers piggy-backing off each other more frequently, coverage has definitely gotten better over the last 5-10 years. What are some major areas where coverage is non-existent at best? Would it be more worth my while or the money to invest in a sat-phone?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Board Icon

I'm not sure who has the BEST coverage these days. As you say... it depends on the area you will be driving in. When I started 5 years ago, I bought my FIRST cellphone. I compared Sprint, Verizon and either AT&T or Alltel (can't remember) and saw MUCH more "coverage" from Sprint for the bulk of my route... which was West Coast and Back to NC.

I'm pretty sure you can go on ANY company's website and see their coverage "map" and compare for yourself.

The "weakest" coverage area I saw, even for Sprint, was the SouthWest EAST of California. I.e: There aren't enough people living in AZ, NM and southern Nevada (except around Vegas) to warrant FULL coverage and investment in towers. As you say... that may have changed since I signed up.

Unless you are hauling Top Secret Government freight.... and/or have some kind of need for CONSTANT contact (in which case, you shouldn't be driving a truck and being SO distracted,) I can't even IMAGINE the need for a SatPhone! :hellno:

As far as contact with your company? Most use (ah... what the heck is it called?) that IS a "satellite comm system." They can reach you even when your cellphone isn't working.

:lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I've got Sprint and there's very few places where I don't have a signal. I run all over, mainly west of I-35 and south of I-40. Come to think of it, the only time I can recall in the recent past where I don't have a signal is on Ohio Rt 32, east of Cincinnati, after I get into the hills.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think that Verizon probably has the best over all coverage, especially in some rural areas. I have had Sprint for about 9 or 10 years. While I have never been completely happy with them, I have not been unhappy enough to change companies. If I could get a better deal with a cell company I would go with them. I have a friend who lives out west and uses T-Mobile. He pays less than I do and has good coverage where he runs. I have heard others mention that they don't have as good coverage in the Midwest or southeast. When I first started with Sprint there were wide gaps in coverage in the western states. I rarely am in an area where I don't have coverage, but have been in a few areas recently where I have lost calls or had little or no signal. Most of the time you can make calls when you have a good signal.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Board Regular
Default At&t

I have AT&T and they drop quite a few calls on us. Returning to FL from NC last week, There were a few areas on I-95 and I- 26 without coverage. My wife gets dropped calls daily from home with a decent signal, so she called and they said they have some cell towers that are not working and are " upgrading the system". So I would go with another provider until they can fix there problems in the SE.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Senior Board Member

I have had verizon for over 10 years. they are the best overall. not the cheapest but for coverage they are the best for me. to save 10 -300 bucks a month, but not get out when I need to is not worth it to me.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I have driven all over the country with Sprint and Verizon. I finally got sick of Sprint after continually dropping calls non stop even with different phones. That was a few years ago though so maybe they've got better. I switched to Verizon and had much better luck. It is a bit pricey though but it's also nice to talk to someone that speaks english and is in America when you call cusomer service, unlike Sprint.

I just upgraded to the HTC Incredible after having the original enV for a couple years. I like it a lot and with a full ghz prcessor it's quick even on the internet. I've been able to get on here more than I used to becuase I can do it when I'm waiting around for something with my local job. I bought it before I knew about the Motorola X coming out. I probably would have got that for it's larger screen and HDMI capabilities.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 PM

at&t has always worked great for me. Like Verizon, they are a little on the pricey side, but other than that, I have no real complaints. No provider is going to be perfect, so there's no use in trying to find one.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Board Regular

I have ATT&T, I highly do NOT recommend them. If you are like me, you want a phone that will not only talk but be able to access at least a limited internet, especially for me, weather related apps. With the introduction of the new Iphone4, it seems that the "partner providers" for ATT&T, no longer are allowing the unlimited broadband access that I was sold. I contacted customer service and was told, sorry, that was beyond their control and no, I couldn't cancel my contract without paying the early termination fee of $300. Attorney letter went out Friday, I'll see if that $25 helps
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Rookie

I started out with sprint. They suck, constant over charges lousy tech support and so on. Then I had T-Mobile no real complaints there except some spotty coverage. Now i have Verizon my better half and I share 2000 minutes plus we both have the droid phone which means we both have the unlimited data plans on those. And I also have my aircard for my laptop. Which is unlimited with Verizon only because we were alltell people and had unlimited aircard with them so my card is grandfathered in. The kicker is Verizon is not cheap we pay $280 a month for what we have. But i have great coverage and above average AMERICAN tech support.