User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I meant to add, one trick I learned to control panic.
When your chest gets tight, and you get shortness of breath, you tend to be so conscious of breathing, you end up breathing too hard, like you can't get enough air.
You are actually taking in too much air and it never seems like enough... but that is because you are creating an imbalance putting too much oxygen in and less carbon dioxide.
This is when the panic begins to set in and your body starts to go into shock. It all just escalates if you don't stop it.

When I feel this shortness of breath and anxiety coming on, I do the opposite of taking in more air. I try to relax and breath normal, and it's not easy, but stick with it, and you will feel more relaxed and in control. You have to keep in mind, you are not going to die or stop breathing! Even if you passed out, your brain will control your breathing and do a better job, with you unconcious.

Sometimes controlling your breathing means stop thinking about it, and don't do that deep yawning and hyperventilating. Relax and your breathing will come under control.

At least for me, the breathing is key, and I hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've tried all of those antidepressants at one time or another. None of them should hurt you or bother your driving. I'm not your doctor... but, I would probably suggest the Paxil first. IIRC, that is the one that is primarily for anxiety. I'll get you the info on the Herbal supplement today or tomorrow.

Meahwhile... I've got a suggestion of my own. It may sound kooky but it worked for me. When you feel the attack coming on, get in a nice hot/warm shower. It may sound funny, but it's like being back in the womb. Many women give birth underwater because it is much more calming to the baby. It's a memory response. It might work for you, too.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Board Icon

I can already hear Kiwi Mitch's comment on getting back in the womb.
That kinda makes me want more anxiety, or maybe that is the true source of my problems... I don't get enough womb time.

it does make sense Hobo, a great way to relax. (thumbs up)

Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad that you are doing better, Roadhog. I know that it has been a difficult time.

Worrywort, while I have not suffered through anxiety attacks, I have known a couple of people who havd had to deal with it. They controlled it through medication. I don't know how the meds will play out working in this industry. You would need to check the list of prohibited drugs to find out. Whether they are prohibited or not, you need to find a way to deal with the anxiety. It would be better to work through it without drugs, but that may not be possible in the beginning. It is important to get to the bottom of the anxiety and deal with the cause. Medication only helps deal with the symptoms, not the cause.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:00 AM
Board Icon

Thank you GMAN
I consolidated some threads on the subject from our Archives

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...fo-needed.html

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...-question.html

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...tion-meds.html

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/r...k-driving.html

http://www.classadrivers.com/forum/n...e-driving.html

Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I can already hear Kiwi Mitch's comment on getting back in the womb.
That kinda makes me want more anxiety, or maybe that is the true source of my problems... I don't get enough womb time.

it does make sense Hobo, a great way to relax. (thumbs up)
hobo told us in other thread the muscles in there are the strongest so doubt we be able to get that far in there.dnt no about some of your american sheilas tho
Old 04-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

I once called DOT and they told me there is no list for meds. Only for illegal drugs. Same with OOIDA. Years ago I pulled in for inspection and the DOT looked at my bottle of benzos and said as long as your name is on the perscription it's ok with them.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
I once called DOT and they told me there is no list for meds. Only for illegal drugs. Same with OOIDA. Years ago I pulled in for inspection and the DOT looked at my bottle of benzos and said as long as your name is on the perscription it's ok with them.

Are you sure?? So far every company I have talked to has told me benzos are not allowed. Only antidepressants.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You may call one of those clinics that do DOT physicals and random drug testing and ask them.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Board Icon

Bigmon is right...me thinks.

Section 391.41(b)(12) states: A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.
(exception)
A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a CMV. This exception does not apply to methadone.
Medical Examiners are required to give careful consideration to the effects of medications on a driver’s ability to operate a CMV safely before rendering the driver qualified.

There are 5 things that the DOT are allowed to check for by Law; Opiates, Amphetamines, Cocaine, Phencyclidine, THC, and alcohol. I don't think the DOT gets between you and your doc.

I think it's more company policy, where you see restrictions on certain prescription drugs. It has to do with insurance. Even if you have a safe driving history, with a prescription drug, some companies, (mostly national) do not want drivers on any med that could impair driving. For if you were in an accident, even if it wasn't your fault, they can't prove whether you were properly taking your script.

there are DOT restrictions, but company restrictions go further. Check with the company, and see what their policies are. Much of this industry is controlled by insurance, because law suits can destroy a company. Many times if there is an accident, even though the driver is not at fault, people sue the big pockets regardless.
These often have a settlement, rather than go to court. If there was a prescribed drug, or any factor the defense can dig up, it gives them more leverage against the company.