User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

There are a lot of unhappy people working in a profession that they detest, strictly for the money. I recall reading once that you should find something you can do for profession that you enjoy and the money will follow. We are much too focused on money in this country. We used to help one another without the expectation of reward. I blew a tire on my wife' vehicle. A couple of men stopped and offered to help. When they were finished, they expected to be paid. It was a bit of a shock, but I gave them some money to get their beer. I would never have expected to be paid for stopping to help someone.

When I hear people complain about their job. I wonder why they don't find something else to do for a living.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior Board Member

I wonder the same thing GMAN. You know what's weird, well my wife couldn't speak English when we first met. She's moved up obviously, but there was one time when she was changing jobs and a woman said to her, " you are so lucky to be getting out of here", I think she mentioned that she was young too so I took that to mean the lady stayed at a job she hated that she let the time slip her by.

Over and over I see it, that people get comfortable. It's like that song by Pink Floyd, Time, .... then one day you realize you missed the starting gun.

Well right in our own Declaration of Independence Thomas Jefferson wrote something like ," All experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed"

That was off the top of my head so not sure if it's exactly right, but nonetheless it was something like that and hundreds of years later it's still the same.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Senior Board Member

A friend of mine that turned 57 mentioned the same Pink Floyd song last week. I know a lot of people became Dr.'s because it was for money and prestige. It's rare to find someone genuine anymore.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Your wife sounds like she was very motivated to become successful, Merrick. It is nice to hear about someone coming to this country, learning the language, getting a good education and working to achieve their dream. I have a friend who married a woman from one of the Latin countries. I can't recall which one right now. She got a degree and is now successful working in a law firm.

The main difference between those who succeed or fail is attitude and perseverance. Americans, especially the younger generations, are very impatient. They think that everything should be easy and that success should seek them out. Life doesn't work that way. It is encouraging to see people come to this country and become successful. Many start successful businesses. I have a friend who came this country as a young man with only $600 in his pocket. He got a degree in engineering and started a couple of businesses and is now a millionaire. He worked hard for what he has been able to achieve. I am sure there were things that he had to do long the way to get along. He worked long hours and rarely took time off. Success has a cost. He is now reaping the rewards for all his effort. He put his two daughters through a very exclusive and expensive private school. Not too bad for a guy who first came to America with no contacts or education and only $600 in his pocket.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateL View Post
Hey thanks for Mackman's post and the wisdom that follows. I am a college grad, (4 year university, not community college) and I can verify that getting any kind of job is darned near impossible to get. I have been making about $7.75 part time recently, and considering myself "lucky" to have any kind of job. Just to clear 20K would be great in the first year. The truth is still you get out what you put into it.

I just want to point out that in the field I studied (technical writing and editing), 70 hour weeks are also (often) required. Usually you are salaried, so they can work you as long as you want, no OT. The average office worker works long hours, weekends, holidays as well. I think that looking at what grass is greener on which side gets you into constant conflict with your perceptions. Basic principal applies. If you don't like the work, look for something else.
I was in that same boat when I graduated in 2006 (BS in psychology).

Oh, and Hobo, I do often log between 65 and 70 hours a week (this past week was 68 hours and some change).
The way I've looked at it, they don't pay me to drive the truck. They pay me to inspect it and the trailers I pull, fuel the beast and put DEF in it, unload the freight, sit on my butt at slow vendors who take forever to load our stuff, and stay away from home for 5-6 days at a time. The driving is the fun part of it, especially out in the country.