User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking Getting back out there

Hello,

I went to one of those hackneyed driver schools that have recruitment pacts with BIG transport companies. I ended up holding a wheel for C.R. England this was about 5 or 6 years ago, I didn’t stay with CRE for long I didn’t have anything against them and they didn’t do anything wrong to me. The reason I left was ME I had a horrible trainer, then a horrible team mate for their initiation program, got caught up in the “bash the system” mentality from these two and ended up walking just as I was about to go solo. Next I drove regional for a local North Eastern company this was a great route but the equipment was in disrepair, filthy and dangerous. After the 3rd truck in a 6 month span of time needed serious repair while I was out I said “I’ve had enough!” and left.

For the next 5 or 6 years since my time trucking I have been working through temporary employment agencies. It’s been good for me and so far I have had great luck staying steadily employed regardless of the economical woes of our country but I’m sortta dying to get back out on the road. I have been wondering about what my options might be. I’m thinking they will be about the same as when I left meaning I’ll either go to one of the BIGS get trained or jump into another local disreputable company that will throw me in a broken truck and say have fun!

I have some questions about going with the BIGS because I would really like this option the training, OTR and the nice equipment being big factors for me: Would I have to go to a CDL school again or would I just go through the training period again? I didn’t mind CRE and would consider working for them again, would they consider working with me again I wonder (I didn’t leave during a load I left just before I was about to go solo)? Can anyone recommend a company similar to CRE, in that they are looking for NOOBS willing to train them and will pay at least $25,000.00 after taxes the first year? How do I go about getting my DAC report/record and how concerned should I be with what I find in it? Lastly does anyone know a good website to get familiar with the regulations side of driving I remember most of the rules but would like to be able to refresh myself a bit?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice or recommendations, be well…MIKE…
Old 09-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Well, if you already have a CDL then you will not have to go through a school again. If not then you will. What will probably happen is that you will get hired on with a BIG company and have to go through all the road training again. Once you get through that, you should be golden. The thing you have to be careful of is job hopping. Once you get put into that crowd, you will find it hard to get on with a good carrier. Find one that best fits your needs and stick it out for a year or two. Then you can look at a better carrier. Better yet, look for a carrier you can train with and STAY with. As far as getting your DAC report, you just need to write them and request one. You have to do it in writing and usually takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get back. I drove for Werner for 9 years. I loved it there. I was also a driver trainer for them. Look into them. Good company and if you are willing to work hard, you will do good there. Now, keep in mind, your first year you are not going to make a lot of money. It takes a while to get into your groove and learn how the system works. As far as the new rules goes, look at the DOT website. You should be able to find what you are looking for there.

Tags
dac, newbie, noob, refresher, school