User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Still looking for a code that requires us to have lights on (or be illuminated).........I totally agree with not being able to enforce on private roads or on Federal Property........however, I can sit pretty much where ever I want (if property owner doesnt object) and run Radar on all public roads.......ie I can use a parking lot for a shopping center to sit in and shoot radar down the road in front it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyandpuppy View Post
Still looking for a code that requires us to have lights on (or be illuminated).........I totally agree with not being able to enforce on private roads or on Federal Property........however, I can sit pretty much where ever I want (if property owner doesnt object) and run Radar on all public roads.......ie I can use a parking lot for a shopping center to sit in and shoot radar down the road in front it.
I'd like to see that law (if it exists), too. Granted, I don't think I've seen any VA cop (state, county, town, or city) that was running radar with any lights on while stationary. I see cops sitting in shopping center parking lots with their running lights on every once in a while, but I never see them doing that out on the highway.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

So clarify for me Snoopy., in VA where you are a SGT.... if you park your cruiser in the median at say midnight, dont you have to have your marker lights on for saftey. Obviously during the day you wouldn't, but I'm saying at night-time. Here in Indiana and Illinois they can sit in the pitch black and not have a single bulb on... and Texas does whatever they want to and it's going to take someone hitting them at 65mph for them to at least not park on the shoulders. Sad but true
Old 12-20-2010, 02:17 AM

I am not familiar with a code that requires that, I was not trained at Radar school for that and I have never had a lawyer or judge even ask about it. If it is required....a lawyer will certainly ask in an effort to get his client out of a speeding ticket. I am aware that some states do require this.......and other jurisdictions in Virginia may require it of their officers.....but that would be a department policy thing. For some interesting reading.......here is a link to the traffic codes/motor vehicle codes in the Commonwealth LIS > Code of Virginia This does not include the DUI codes which fall under the criminal act section.

Last edited by snoopyandpuppy; 12-20-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you for the input. I don't ever go to VA, in fact, I only travel thru 6 states now. But it's always good for future reference
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 PM

In Oklahoma there are no laws requiring illumination at night. Of course no one is supposed to be driving on the medians here either though !
Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 AM

At least they stay in their cars,

In Toronto, the guys using radar, is out of his car, hiding, then when he nails someone, he goes out into the street, points at the car, and they pull over,

First time I saw that I laughed my head off because I didn't know anyone at the time that would actually stop in a car, for an officer on foot.

First time it happened to me, I realize why they stop lol, got a backup car just down the road.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:50 AM

HTML Code:
Smokeeater

In Oklahoma there are no laws requiring illumination at night. Of course no one is supposed to be driving on the medians here either though ! 
Of course as a fellow Oklahoman, you know as well as I do, they hang out in the medians cause they are smoother than the roads!:rofl:
I run mostly in Oklahoma with forays into Kansas when available. Most of the time the guys around here have a little red light on in the cab when parked doing radar work. Ever since the state lifted the 100 miles per day limit on OHP they don't stay parked long.