User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default First time company

I know this topic was asked in the past, but I will ask again.. lol

I plan on going to Roadmaster training in Indianapolis from October to November and I am paying for the class myself which means I am not locked in to a specific company.

Can anyone recommend a good company to join? I have been looking at TMC and they said they can send me a packet once I start school, so that's one option. People say it is run like the Military and they expect their equipment to stay up to standards. I am retired Army so I would rather work for a company that expects standards to be kept. I also do not mind the hard work (Tarping, chaining, etc)..

Are there any other companies that are good for new drivers?

Thanks everyone in advance for their help!!

Oh, I forgot to add that I am a loner and very unsociable, which means even thinking of team driving is making me uncomfortable.. So I would like info on driving alone.. lol

Last edited by inbdusfor20yrs; 07-20-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome aboard and thanks for your service. As far as driving solo that won;t be a problem WHEN you get your own truck. After you get you CDL and before your get a truck you will spend some where between 2-12 weeks with a trainer That may be the hardest part for you. As far as flat beds I have no advice other than if it's not written down it didn't happen! (Army , you know) Don't limit yourself to just flats unless that's what you really want. Check out Crete , I hear there paying new drivers after 1yr .42 cpm. I do know they've been good to me.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete View Post
. . Don't limit yourself to just flats unless that's what you really want . .
Ditto what repete said. I'm not aware of any restrictions against tarping a dry van or reefer load. Chaining would be tough but you could strap the hell out of them.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbdusfor20yrs View Post
I know this topic was asked in the past, but I will ask again.. lol

I plan on going to Roadmaster training in Indianapolis from October to November and I am paying for the class myself which means I am not locked in to a specific company.

Can anyone recommend a good company to join? I have been looking at TMC and they said they can send me a packet once I start school, so that's one option. People say it is run like the Military and they expect their equipment to stay up to standards. I am retired Army so I would rather work for a company that expects standards to be kept. I also do not mind the hard work (Tarping, chaining, etc)..

Are there any other companies that are good for new drivers?

Thanks everyone in advance for their help!!

Oh, I forgot to add that I am a loner and very unsociable, which means even thinking of team driving is making me uncomfortable.. So I would like info on driving alone.. lol
since you have the funds to pay for classes, why not spend your money on something other than a dead end trucking job. like learning a trade with some room for advancement.if you have 10 years trucking you'd have the same as a newbie fresh out school. but if you had 10 years at an acredited trade you'd be much further along in life. but the world always need's ditch diggers. it's in the hole.:roll:
Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Rookie

Thank you guys for the help.

I am not 100% on going flatbeds, but when I researched some companies online in general, TMC looked good. Their drivers were mostly happy with the company compared to other company's where people felt like they were being ripped off. Most of the other drivers for other companies would say to stay away from their company and they wouldn't go to a specific company if their life depended on it.

I know I won't start making money until I get my own truck and I am willing to do the time with a trainer. I will check out Crete to see how they look and what they have to offer.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Rookie

Well I checked with Crete, and the problem is that I plan on going to Roadmaster driving school in Indianapolis and they do not recruit students from there. The reason, is that students do not get enough training hours at that school. I respect that decision because their main goad is safety. He did say TMC was a good company. LOL.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Rookie

I checked with Roadmaster training and I will have to pay upfront for the class. The GI Bill will pay me back for just the three weeks I am there, so out of pocket I will pay about $3,000. The good news is that there are two companies that have an apprentice program. The GI Bill will pay me up to two years while I am driving, plus the companies will pay me back the tuition I spent for the class. The two that use the apprentice program and TMC and Werner. I haven't looked at Werner yet, but TMC is looking good so far..

Does anyone have any experience or anything to add on Werner?

Last edited by inbdusfor20yrs; 07-21-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM

Have you looked at Maverick.They are out of Little Rock,but have a terminal in Gary.Living where you do you are in their running lanes.They haul alot of steel,but have an exceptional load training class.Have good equipment and get you home on weekends.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I I am retired Army so I would rather work for a company that expects standards to be kept.
Judging by that statement alone, TMC is definitely up your alley. Just don't walk on their grass when your in orientation in Des Moines, as it's rumored that it is a fast track ticket home. (Kind of like the Army, no?) Truck washes are expected/required every 2 weeks. They like their equipment spotless and shiny (Kind of like the Army,no?) Good luck buddy and thanks for your 20 years of keeping us safe!!
Old 07-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well I checked with Crete, and the problem is that I plan on going to Roadmaster driving school in Indianapolis and they do not recruit students from there. The reason, is that students do not get enough training hours at that school. I respect that decision because their main goad is safety. He did say TMC was a good company. LOL.
Crete will accept (or did) grads. from non PTDI schools BUT only on an individual basis, try sending Bluebeetle a PM he's a recruiter for Crete and will give you the straight poop If he's still around