User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 04:26 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fitness OTR

I am going into the trucking industry here very soon and I have some questions. With all of the impending FMCSR 2010 stuff and even more regs healthwise coming down the road, I see a heavy focus on driver health. I am into bodybuilding and healthy nutrition and I have no intention of giving that up to go OTR. In fact, I want to ask how you all stay in shape(those that do :-)? I am looking into getting a 35lb kettlebell and keeping that in the cab with me and maybe some powerbands too. I also have a folding paratrooper mtn bike that I'm sure I can get aboard. I also have a prepaid (COSTCO) 2 year 24 Hour Fitness membership so I also would like to maybe get input as to how anybody gets to a gym and how often?

I have often thought how cool it would be if say TA, PETRO, Love's...etc would put in small fitness centers and of course charge a fee for daily use and memberships....have a hot tub and sauna available as well...truckers spend a sh^%tload of money on CRAP anyway, so whay not on something constructive like a stationary bike and a quick dumbbell workout?
Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 AM
Senior Board Member

GL with the workout. Holding a steering wheel for 8AM to 7PM is a tough gig. Then getting your chow and s h i t shave & shower done. A little Internet / monkey wrestling and your looking at 9PM easy. And those are just driving days with no loading or unloading.

Last edited by ronjon619; 07-09-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM

I use a jump rope and i do pushups, for stomach i do crunches in the bunk. I usually do this before i take a shower. You would be amaze what a jump rope will do.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Throwing tarps can help keep you in shape. I think that you will find it difficult to have the time to get to a gym while on the road. It will be difficult to not only find the time, but a place to park the truck. We run irregular schedules and routes, for the most part. That in itself can make it difficult to find a gym.

I seem to recall one truck stop that had a gym, but closed it due to non participation or lack of interest by drivers. I suppose most were either not interested or too tired to do a workout after a long day of driving. With the takeover by Pilot and others who seem to be more interested in short term profits than driver health, you will be hard pressed to find those who would be willing to give up the revenue from video games for sauna's and workout rooms. Pilot in particular has a reputation for taking out TV and drivers lounges and putting in video game rooms. I think that it would be great to have a place to workout while on the road. It might curb the amount of obesity we see daily out here.

I met one guy who carried dumb bells with him and he exercised while waiting to load/unload. I think that he worked it in as he could. Workouts do better when you can adhere to a schedule. That can be difficult to do in this business. Starting out you may be paired with another driver. He may not want the extra weight for you to carry weights or other equipment. Space will be limited. Before packing your weights I would check with the company whom you go with to see their policy. Once you get into your own truck it may be a different situation. With a team operation you both live in a very small space. There isn't much area for storage. I am sure that something can be worked out, but I would mention it to my company before going to orientation.

I try to watch what I eat, but it can be a bit of a challenge on the road. I stay away from the buffet. Most of the offerings are carbohydrates. Your best bet would be to get a small refrigerator or electric cooler and take your own food with you. Not only will you save money, but you can eat much healthier. Good luck. All of us need to be more health conscious.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Can you imagine how dirty a sauna or jacuzzi at a truck stop would be? It'd be good if you could keep the slobs out of it. Fitness center is a good idea. Like Gman said, it doesn't make money for the TS.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I won't get my own truck until late september so I figure on sit-ups and some push-ups until then. I know of most people who do not workout all have a "reason" as to why they don't have time or are too tired. 30 minutes every other day will make significant changes in health and energy levels! I know finding time and places to workout will be a challenge but it IS possible to do. Hell, simply parking truck farthest from truckstop/terminal buildings alone would be a help. I could site hundreds of examples of people from far more difficult circumstances than OTR trucking who make fitness a priority.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

The empty 194 oz Mountain Dew cup may look easy going in but, after an hour or two at the buffet, it's all I can do to lug it back to the fuel island, switching hands every 20 paces for balance, while I stop to light up a fresh one to help catch my breath. Between that and the Ben and Jerry's, I manage to keep a memorable profile.

Last edited by cdswans; 07-09-2010 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
The empty 194 oz Mountain Dew cup may look easy going in but, after an hour or two at the buffet, it's all I can do to lug it back to the fuel island, switching hands every 20 paces for balance, while I stop to light up a fresh one to help catch my breath. Between that and the Ben and Jerry's, I manage to keep a memorable profile.
Today 03:55 PM
Haha! Nice cdswans! You could increase your cardio output by 50% by simply switching hands every 10 seconds!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Can you imagine how dirty a sauna or jacuzzi at a truck stop would be? It'd be good if you could keep the slobs out of it.
Oh GAWD! I didn't even think of that! Hahaha.....wow!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:14 AM
Rookie
Default Something like this would work OTR

Fitnessanywhere.com |Home of TRX and Suspension Training, the original bodyweight training fitness tool, train with the best in class exercise equipment, fitness equipment