User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2 dui,s

i had 2 back in 94..allmost in the same month....everything was taken care off in 95, and have not drank since....

the 2 tickets were coming home from the bar

problem...no one wants to hire me.....am i unemployable in the trucking industry, even that i have not drank in 15 yrs.

the 2 tickets were coming home from the bar
Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some carriers will not hire anyone with even a single DUI. With two it is next to impossible to get on with most of them. There are some who will consider hiring someone with a DUI after 5 years has elapsed as long as there is nothing else on your record. The good news is that it has been more than 10 years since you received the DUI's. If the carrier only pulls your MVR then you may get it past them. Most of the larger carriers will also pull a criminal background check. Since a DUI is considered a criminal act it will likely show up. At least it wasn't in a commercial vehicle. That would really be the kiss of death.

If this is something that you really want to pursue then the only thing that I could suggest is to keep knocking on doors. If you have not been drinking for more than 10 years then there may be someone who will take a chance on you. There is a company listings on the top of this page. Many of the larger carriers are listed along with their basic hiring requirements. It will be a start. If you plan on going to school to get your CDL you may also check with them and see if they can point you in a good direction prior to spending your money and time on training.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 AM
Board Icon

Doesn't matter where or how you got the 2 DUI's, you got them. Companies do not like to see anything like that for insurance purpose's. You may find a company that will take you with those if they are 10 years or older but some won't take you no matter how old they are. You need to look harder, they are out there, companies who will take you.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Kudos for recognizing the problem and dealing with it... :thumbsup: You might be able to find a local job. I know the smaller companies that do local freight like mine tend to be more lenient.
If you are a friend of Bill W. it might help to use your sponsor as a reference and have him provide a letter confirming your 15 years of sobriety.

Kimball
Old 06-02-2010, 01:36 AM

I also offer kudos for facing the problem head on.

I just rolled 27 years sober this past March. I was already driving big trucks when I got it so I had some references but it still hurt my opportunities for a long time. I'm now over 2 million miles logged.

Trippy Hippy has it right. The best way to start is local driving. Maybe check with some of the dirt haulers in your area just to get some time under your belt and to build some history. You might also check with some of the companies that haul freight cans out of the railyards. They may have some truck owners that are looking for drivers. It doesn't usually pay the best but it will get you some experience, maybe even some regional experience.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I forgot about the dumps. I know a guy near me who used to own several dumps and he was always looking for drivers. He wasn't so particular about their background, either.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:55 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Another place you could check are the scrap haulers. Sometimes you just need to use a little imagination.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Rookie

thanks all.. ...i can get all the experience in the world...but it will not erase the dui,s...and the over the road companys still will not hire me...i want to get on with may trucking out of salem, ore....they said no,,,my hopes were gone......i have 15 yrs of trucking....just did not know that it would be this hard....i quess they look at the dui,s in car or truck the same.....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Rookie

i think it might be possible to have the 2nd dui exsponged according to arizona state law...going to check it out with a lawyer,,,not to find a good trucking lawyer in arizona
Old 06-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are some companies around who may give you a chance. It will take more effort and time to find them. Not all carriers do a criminal background check. Most will only consider or pull a 3 year MVR. With the DUI's being 15 years old they won't show up. I am not suggesting that you lie, but sometimes it is best to only give what people ask.

The economy has been off and there have been more drivers looking for jobs than positions available. That has made many carriers able to be more selective in whom they hire. It sounds like you tried May Trucking and when they turned you down you decided to not move forward with any other carriers.

I am a little confused by something you stated. You said that you had "15 years in trucking." I didn't think that you ever had a CDL. If that is the case perhaps there is something else in your background that is raising a red flag.