User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Do all planners have big heads??

This is my second problem with a planner in the past three weeks. The first problem was when I just left Cleveland to Toledo, stopped to fuel and clean out my trailer as it was needed to go into a soup company. Find the trailer is not food grade, so i ask for another trailer. I'm told the nearest one was back in Cleveland, 2 hrs+ away. I responded, "that is the closest one?". To that i'm told 'yes'. I advise i had just fueled in Toledo and that our New Boston terminal was 45 min away. make that long story shorter, I decide to head to New Boston, while en route, i'm told not to go there. Bummer....by the time i get that message, i'm already there.

Fast forward to today. I get to Columbus, OH. Drop a load off, and before i get it dropped I get a preplan for a load picking up at the Columbus terminal headed for Monee, IL for a 6a live unload on the 28th. Heading back out of columbus, i get another preplan. This one picks up at our Gary, IN. terminal, headed for west chicago. (about 55mi to travel). I decline it, because i wont be ontime to P/U (guessing it will take me an hour or more to get unloaded) not to mention by the time i DO get to P/U, that will leave me 90+ minutes to travel 55 mi in rush hour traffic to get to a live unload by 10:30a ??

what part of that do they not understand??? I cannot safely travel 55 mi in downtown chicago in 90+ minutes smack in the middle of rush-hour. Not to mention after i declined the load, the planner accepted it for me, and put it back on my truck. I responded with a message saying "I DID NOT ACCEPT THIS LOAD......" and gave them the reasons why i did.

Why are there planners who think they're god? or think just becuase they have the magic wand for loads, they think they're over the driver?? this smells like a power trip once again. Told them once i got stopped for the night that i cannot safely deliver this in the time allowed. If they didn't seem to understand, that maybe i'd be better served to call Phoenix safety department.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:59 AM
Board Regular

:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Quote:
Why are there planners who think they're god?
You'll be PRAYING to whatever GOD(S) you pray to, to GET A LOAD - after P.O.'ing your DM/Planner a sufficient number of times.

Does the expression STARVED OUT ring any bells for you buddy? Which company are you planning to INFLICT YOURSELF UPON after the current one is done leaving you sitting MT in a T/A for a week?

Rick
Old 09-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Senior Board Member

You can run 294 out of Gary and get to West Chicago in reasonable time, but you played it safe.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
You can run 294 out of Gary and get to West Chicago in reasonable time, but you played it safe.
thats just it, i was playing it SAFE, but aparently that is secondary to hauling freight. I've been in rush hour chicago traffic before, and KNOW that if you average 20 mph, you're doing good.

i found its 55 mi from gary terminal to w chicago. seeing how they left me 90+ minutes (maybe 2 hrs) to get it there, i dont think i could make it and still be on time.

as far as sickrick goes, my DM and i get along great, he keeps me rolling and wouldn't DARE pull this crap on me. its always the weekend planner/driver services i'm having issues with. thats why my DM knows to try to get me planned thru the weekend so i dont have to wait on them to find me a load. it wasnt a matter of 'finding' one for me. They were keeping me rolling. had a PP before my current load was empty. they just tried to sneak one on me that was questionalble. Instead of putting the customer first, giving the load to a driver sitting in Gary who could be out the door with it by 7a and have all the time in the world to get it there ontime, they would rather leave it on me after i've said i cannot do it. go figure.

guess my next call is to safety in phoenix.

p.s. not to mention, i take the load, i do my 'running late' macro, and i still get knocked with a service failure? ... you're kidding, right?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

You got hit with the service failure because you did accept the load knowing that you could not meet the time requirements. If you accept the load, you acknowledge that you can make the p/u and delivery as scheduled - ok. When you use the late macro is after p/u and things happen to make the delivery late - they told us that during orientation.

Thankfully our dm and load planners tried to get us loads that would carry us through the weekend.

BTW, it took you this long to run into this situation. And you are complaining. Consider yourself lucky.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
You got hit with the service failure because you did accept the load knowing that you could not meet the time requirements. If you accept the load, you acknowledge that you can make the p/u and delivery as scheduled - ok. When you use the late macro is after p/u and things happen to make the delivery late - they told us that during orientation.

Thankfully our dm and load planners tried to get us loads that would carry us through the weekend.

BTW, it took you this long to run into this situation. And you are complaining. Consider yourself lucky.
I actually never accepted it, and the question wasnt about 'what happens if i get a service failure'. You need to re-read my OP. I never accepted the PP. I declined it. Then the planner resends it back and accepted it for me. I explained twice, and sent an email to my DM saying that although my 730a PTA was a 'good' PTA, it was still impossible for me to accept the load and honestly say it would be on time.

I was declining the load because i DIDN'T feel i had enough time. Eventually, after going empty, I drove back over to the Pilot, and sat till my DM came in at 7a. Because of when i got off the road, my 10 hr break wasnt up till 8a anyway, so when i went MT, i showd my PTA as 8a. I had sent a couple messages asking on the status for this load, cause i had never got an "unplanned" message, so i assumed it was still on me.

My DM comes in, tells me he has messaged the planner for a PP, and within an hour, i got a Costco load. I asked about the other load, and he said it was taken off me. That is good to know, but would like to have known it was removed when it was actually removed, instead of it being in the back of my head, annoying me for the past 5-6 hours going down the road.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
:lol2::lol2::lol2:

You'll be PRAYING to whatever GOD(S) you pray to, to GET A LOAD - after P.O.'ing your DM/Planner a sufficient number of times.

Does the expression STARVED OUT ring any bells for you buddy? Which company are you planning to INFLICT YOURSELF UPON after the current one is done leaving you sitting MT in a T/A for a week?

Rick
and i just love how it is clear you are dying to see me fail. Guess what, BUDDY, swift haters for the past 10 months have been saying that to me. saying i won't make it 3 months. blah blah blah, swift will go under, blah blah blah.

guess what, pally......i'm still here. I know i'm one of the best on my DMs board, thats why he keeps me rolling. I've only got issues with a few planners on the weekend cause they get all butt-hurt when i dont let them go on their power trips on me. Starve me out? hardly. i keep rolling. I had a drop-n-hook the other day in our Gary terminal. all the while, i heard 10-15 drivers b!tchin' cause they couldn't get a load. How is it i'm kept rolling and they end up sitting???
Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
This is my second problem with a planner in the past three weeks . . oh, boo hoo, woe is me, po po piddaful me . . all the while, i heard 10-15 drivers b!tchin' cause they couldn't get a load. How is it i'm kept rolling and they end up sitting???
Ya see, Kev, some beeches deserve the beatin'.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I've seen that kind of crap before and here's a simple answer. When they look at a driver's available hours, they don't always get an accurate idea of how many hours said driver has. I realize that y'all still run paper logs, but I reckon (Correct me if I'm wrong here) that y'all keep dispatch somewhat informed on how many hours you have left to run. Also, when you declined the load, was there any field to outline WHY you couldn't pick up or deliver on time?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 AM
Senior Board Member

i've noticed the *nice* people in gary don't really care if you have the hours or not. they'll keep pressuring you to take the load. i had a situation with them last year about it. they kept pushing a load i didn't have the hours for. even my driver manager was PO'ed at them for doing it. i declined the damn load a total of 15 times before they finally stopped. i was also sent wonderful anonymous messages from those nameless heroes.