User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Flatbed question

I only have a short time driving and if I ever get back on the road I want to drive for a flatbed company. I have read a lot of stuff about how hard it is and I welcome a challenge. I workout with weights and am pleanty strong enough to lift anything required, I jog so stamina is not a issue either. I drove a reefer the last 10 months and 90% of the time I unloaded my trailer. I like to exercise and workout. My question is how hard is it to remember or learn what strap goes where, how many straps or chains. It seems like there are so many differant types of cargo on a flatbed it would be hard to remember all that is required by law (differant states) that getting it wrong and getting a ticket is pretty easy.

I went to Arrow's orientation and went through the securment training but that was pretty basic. At the end of the week they passed me and said I was ready to go , I did not feel ready. I was a little concerned about knowing enough. Just wondering as I have applied to a few flatbed companies and it looks pretty promising so far. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Pulling a flat bed is a little more involved than a van. Securement is pretty basic across all states. That is something that is regulated by the feds. There are securement books that are sold at most truck stops which could help you learn about what is needed. Some carriers will train you and may have a booklet or drawings that you can keep in your truck that will help in properly securing a load. You will find that most flatbedders are more than willing to help you or answer any of your questions. Most shippers are also helpful in telling you how they want their load secured. Securement is something that you will pick up and learn as you go. Much of it is common sense.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:07 AM

Flatbedding is a different breed. 99% of the time there are other people unloading or loading at the same place. If you need help secureing something you can always ask another driver and they are more than willing to help almost all the time whether you work for the same company or not. Rmembering where to place a chain or a strap is not that hard. I went by one rule and one rule alone, If it looks like it could use a strap put one on and when you think you have enough throw one more just to be safe. Most companies will give you a guide as to where to put what on a load usually by the type of load. I hate to say it but a lot of it is learn by doing it (OJT)

Strength is sometimes an issue but for the most part you can usually get a guy with a fork or a crane to put your tarps up, 90% of the time they always asked if I wanted them to do it. Of course my answer is always yes.

Melton was a great company that I worked for and they gave me ample training on loads. When I went through there training I still didnt feel as if I knew everything but when I loaded my first load I found out I knew more than I thought. Other than Melton I know a bunch of guys that work at Maverick and they love it over there. Both offer flat training.

P.S. I wouldnt work for arrow if they were the last company on earth, just me. I went there spent the week in orientation went out on 1 load truck broke down and they didnt even flip the bill for the motel. I tookt he load back after being broke down for a week and turned it in. I worked 3 weeks total and still have not recieved a check for work done.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Both Gman & thbogle pretty much covered it.

Flatbedding is all I've done and when I first started I felt a little overwhelmed. But as time goes on you get more comfortable and confident with what you can and can not do. I am one of those guys that over secures everything.

In addition to proper securement, the most important thing to remember is that unlike a van or refer, if your load shifts it could easily make for a real bad day so your driving habits MUST be spot on. After I have secured a load, I step back and take a second look at it. I think to myself......"if I have to make an evasive maneuver, will the load stay put?" "Do I feel safe transporting this load with my family and loved ones out on the road?" If I can say yes then I'm ready to roll.

As far a physically, it really is not that hard. I think some make it sound like its a lot harder than it really is. Don't get me wrong, there are times when you'll get a damn good workout in. If anything, it can be more of a pain in the rear when the weather doesn't cooperate.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Senior Board Member

When I was with swift, even though I never did their flatbed division, I do remember they always said a minimum of 2 straps for every 10 feet. That is about the extent of what I know about any specific laws or regulations .

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Rookie

Quote:
P.S. I wouldnt work for arrow if they were the last company on earth, just me. I went there spent the week in orientation went out on 1 load truck broke down and they didnt even flip the bill for the motel. I tookt he load back after being broke down for a week and turned it in. I worked 3 weeks total and still have not recieved a check for work done.
One of the "only" ones who are willing to give me a chance.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrigjoe66 View Post
One of the "only" ones who are willing to give me a chance.
I know that feeling all too well Joe. If they are willing to gie you a chance I'd say go for it. Who knows they may be a god fit for you, If not just stay a year get that experience and if the economy turns around enough then you can make the leap to a better outfit for you. One thing about flatbedding is that the customer always wants your freight, Sometimes though you will have to wait on a crane or a helicopter appt. (I had many crane appts and only 1 helicopter.)but for the most part they always want the freight. You will probably unload in some rather unusual places at some point. Best of luck in your endevours.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Just remember this. The front tarp goes over the back tarp.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Just remember this. The front tarp goes over the back tarp.

LOL..... I saw a Western Express flatbed about 3 weeks ago that had it backwards. I tried to raise on the radio but he wouldn't respond.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
LOL..... I saw a Western Express flatbed about 3 weeks ago that had it backwards. I tried to raise on the radio but he wouldn't respond.
LOL....some days you're just...tired.

Last night coming thru San Antonio about a dozen of us were tring to tell some fool he needed to turn his headlights on.

Guess with the traffic all around he figured he didn't need them.