User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Where to go where to go

Hi there everyone, new to this forum and enjoying the posts i have read.

I now live here in California after escaping the moisture and alcohol soaked atmosphere of Ireland,s green shores. Anyway enough of the bollocks here is my question.

I drove long haul from Ireland all over Europe, east and west. I have the license and the experience, however apparently that is going to sink like a lead balloon here. I have got used to the idea that i am going back to trucking school and hey hopefully i will learn something new here as i am sure there are differences.

My question is, what is the best route for me to take? Should i go with a company (been reading some horror stories about that), or should i go to a driving school? and then sign with a company, or should i go rent a truck, practice and take the test? I also heard about a place in Sacramento, California food or something that will get you your license cheap but you have to do 18 weeks which includes working for them for 6 weeks. Its a good cause, not sure how it works for getting work after though.

So any advice or suggestions anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Warren
Old 07-22-2009, 01:24 AM

I would look into funding {no cost to you} that may be available to get into a "school". Or pay up, get the CDL thru a school.
Doing the training/employer route would be....last.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 AM
Senior Board Member

ERIN GO BRAUGH!

if you don't have the money to fork over, check out the company mills. feck c.r. england as they'll try getting you to lease a truck from them. their motto is "lease, train, drive" for a reason. it's the order they want you to go in once you're employed by them. in my humble opinion, swift wasn't all that bad. just make sure you fulfill the 13 months contracted time and have the schooling all repaid if you do decide to go the company mill route.

as for independent schools, check out something in your area such as a community college. some of them have trucking schools. dunno which ones, however.

which part of california do you live in?
Old 07-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Rookie

I am living in Sacramento, think there is a Swift terminal in Lathrop? Was looking at Swift, wasn't sure which of their schools would be the best to attend. Think Sac community college has a CDL course but haven't nailed it down yet, however i may be able to afford a school just have to research the schools here a little better.

go raibh míle maith agat

Warren
Old 07-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Senior Board Member

yeah, they have a terminal in lathrop. i think it would be best to hit up a college or other non-company mill. you won't have to bow down and sign some crappy contract. if you leave before they contract ends, you'll be billed for the remainder, with interest.

i have no idea what you said at the end there. my dad's side consists of english and scottish heritage. my mother's is danish and swedish. one of my aunts, however, is irish as FECK.
:smokin:
Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Rookie

"A thousand thank yous" is what that means.

Yeah i think i will go with a school or the California food program course which is nearly free. Been reading some posts about how tough it is to get work right now and how the big companies treat people like crap with crappy loads, so just like home then LOL.