User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Its harder to find local, but he's right just keep trying. Oh this might sound stupid but waste managnement always hiring
Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM

It's not stupid, sounds like you don't care what you drive like some guys do. Apply with Waste Management their whole application process is online I just hear they don't pay much. Also apply with your local city driving trash trucks or construction trucks. I know construction is real slow but apply at construction companies. You would be amazed by the amount construction driving jobs there are as long as your willing to do a little bit of work. Look at state jobs. Hauling Ag commodities for small companies usually don't require experience. Look into Greyhound they will pay for you to get your passenger endorsement and put you through a training program.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TruckDrivinSunUvAGun View Post
It's not stupid, sounds like you don't care what you drive like some guys do. Apply with Waste Management their whole application process is online I just hear they don't pay much. Also apply with your local city driving trash trucks or construction trucks. I know construction is real slow but apply at construction companies. You would be amazed by the amount construction driving jobs there are as long as your willing to do a little bit of work. Look at state jobs. Hauling Ag commodities for small companies usually don't require experience. Look into Greyhound they will pay for you to get your passenger endorsement and put you through a training program.
At first I got mad and took it as a direct slap to the face, then im like you know what I don't care, and why should I, im really not in the position to decide what I drive, as are most guys out there. "Honey they were gonna hire me with good pay and steady work but there rigs where ****ty, so I went to stevens or swift instead, riiiiiiighhhhhttt" when it comes to takining care of my family there my choice. How many companies out there have shiny new trucks and don't pay there drivers. Ill take the company that puts there money into there drivers, and good mechanics.

And to the waste managment pay rate. Ill agree with you on that for the most part. It all depends what state and area . The mom and pop companies don't pay well no matter what. The big companies are a little better but not by much. There benifits however are excellent.

I have a question why does everybody keep saying local? Where im from it works from outside in. You do 1 to 2 years otr and you can pick and choose your local gigs. Cuz here and I emphasize here, in southeast pa. The local jobs are still hiring but they want at least 1 year, hell NFI ran 3 ads in todays paper. Im not saying I haven't heard of people getting hired by these companies with little exp but its rare.
Is it the other way around in othere parts of the country?
Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 AM

I graduated 7/2006 from a SAGE/PTDIA school.

I worked 18 months at only one company til the end of march 2008 (when the economy went in the crapper and companies started folding left and right). I hauled a 53' dry van OTR (about 180k miles, 37 states).

I have no tickets or accidents, no felonies, no misdemeanors, no DUIs, etc...a clean record.

I gave notice at the last company and quit on good terms, cleaned the truck, dropped it off at the terminal, etc. They put "satisfactory" for my employment on my DAC.

Recently, I just added my hazmat endorsement and obtained a passport. I already had the tanker and doubles/triples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
Your not really giving all of the facts:
how long has it been since you drove last?
how much experience do you have?
how long has it been since truck driving school?

Your generally going to hear those answers if you have not driven in 6 months, with less than a year experience and it's been 2 years since driving school.

The reason --- insurance requirements.

Last edited by madaxeman; 07-22-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Madaxe

Making sure I understand. It's been 3 years since you graduated. You have 1.5 years OTR (after training), but it's been more than a year since you last drove OTR. It appears that you added your hazmat and passport in an effort to make yourself more marketable.

It all goes back to insurance requirements.

The only options I can think of:
1) get a job driving anything local
2) get a job driving anything local to get the funds to pay for a refresher course (contact your previous school they may have a price break -- don't know for sure) then go for the other companies
3) bite the bullet and take the refresher course - somehow
4) find an o/o that you can convince to take you on (team or otherwise) and that will verify to prospective
companies that you did drive for him