User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Heres a thought for you Kevin....A buddy of mine was an O/O for my company and he took home a whole $37 dollars one week because of fuel and repairs. Wife wasn't too happy when she had no money for food in the house. Are you prepared for that? How are you to survive even if you are single? $37 dosen't go far when you have expenses on the road.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 06-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
...after THAT 13 months, the school is totally FREE. Trust me, it was discussed over and over the first day of class, not to mention i've re-read it 100 times during those 3 weeks of school, AND even had my recruiter and HIS supervisor email me telling me the same thing.
I really have no dog in this fight. I don't care what you do, Kevin. I've been driving for only 4 years, and after reading all the GOOD info on this site about "fleece operator" plans, I wouldn't go NEAR one.

I DO however, have an idea that somewhere within my expected 20 year career of driving, I would like to own my own truck... and probably lease on to someone I can trust, because "I" don't want to be responsible for all the business end of it. I've HAD my own business before, and I really don't EVER want to work that hard again.

But, one thing I DO know about business is...SALES. I know how to make something sound too good to pass up. And the phrases I highlighted in your post ring an alarm bell in my mind.

Why would a company who hires and trains drivers and suffers one of the highest turnover rates... who pays out MORE money than most companies for the accidents these drivers are involved in...who holds MANY major contracts that it needs to service... and has one of the most VISIBLE profiles in the industry.... spend MOST of the first day of orientation "selling" their L/O plan instead of selling SAFETY and TRAINING?? :eek2:

The very FACT that both your recruiter AND his supervisor expend so much of their energy emailing you about this plan, shows that it is a company "agenda" to sucker their young drivers into it. They don't seem to be interested in making sure you are TRAINED properly or HAPPY with the company (retention)... their goal is to SELL you on something they should KNOW you are not ready for!

Why? I'm not really sure. I've never worked for Swift. But.... if I had to guess I'd say it helps them PAY for their trucks, AVOID the loss incurred by training you, and in EVERY way increases THEIR "bottom line" at your expense. They KNOW that most of their drivers won't stay there for long under the pay and conditions that they offer... so.... HOW can we reduce our costs for the time he is with us?

Eureka! We'll spend most of our FIRST day of orientation/training "playing" on the desires and expectations of these NOOBIES to get them to take this deal! We'll SELL it to them with numbers that make it look like they will make more money than we want to PAY them for driving for us.... we'll have staff members whom they've come to "trust" testify that it is a good deal.... we'll "plant" a few L/O's out there to give credence to the plan.... and we'll STARVE out any driver who just wants to be a company driver and DOESN'T take the "deal."

Heck... it works for England and Prime! Why shouldn't it work for US??? :roll:

Again, Kevin... I understand your desire, enthusiasm and impatience. I SHARE the first TWO qualities. But, with my years of experience in OTHER walks of life, I have learned PATIENCE. I started trucking at about 50 years of age, and expect to retire from it in maybe 20 years. I made only the 35k or so that drivers start at for my first THREE years... working for the SAME company to build "credibility" as someone who will stick with a job/company. I moved up from there, and got more than a 30% pay raise starting my 4th year. I'll do THIS for a year or two... then hopefully move UP again. I had alot of debts to pay off, so I'm not in a postion yet to buy a truck. But, when I AM.... I will buy the truck I want... but the cheapest I can find, and see how it works from there. I will drive an $18k Columbia for a year or two... and if I'm STILL in business... I will buy that $35k "Classic" after that. Another few good years and I may buy that W900 with the "studio" sleeper!

If all works out well, I will maybe KNOW enough, and be financially ready, to become an O/O after about 5 years in this business.... and will make my "nut" for the last 15. Meanwhile... I will wait and see what the economy will do, and I will LISTEN to people like Mike3fan, GMAN and others.

After 5 years of "living with" this industry, perhaps I'll be ready to "marry" into it! Wish to GOD I'd had that much sense when I married my first, only, and EX wife! :lol2:

I know that was lengthy. I apologize. But, I was hit in the face by the phrases I highlighted from your post. NO bonafide company should spend the first day of "class" SELLING their recruits on such a risky proposition! .... NOT if they care anything ABOUT that driver!

Best of luck!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The two things that kill most businesses is lack of experience by management and lack of capital. It doesn't matter what type of business it is this is pretty much a rule of thumb for those starting a business. When inexperienced drivers get into these leases they are usually inexperienced and don't have any money. I think it is irresponsible for a carrier to push or even offer a lease to someone who is inexperienced. They would not continue to offer these programs if new drivers didn't sign on to them.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

That was a good post Golf, but I think the highlighted phrase from our hero was talking about paying back the tuition for schooling and not the L/P deal.

Quote:
Once the 13 months is over, tuition is PAID. I continue another 13 months, and each week, i get the $37.50 back for those 13 months...after THAT 13 months, the school is totally FREE. Trust me, it was discussed over and over the first day of class, not to mention i've re-read it 100 times during those 3 weeks of school, AND even had my recruiter and HIS supervisor email me telling me the same thing.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
That was a good post Golf, but I think the highlighted phrase from our hero was talking about paying back the tuition for schooling and not the L/P deal.
OOPS! My bad! I glossed over most of his posts as I thought he was giving details of how his tuition would be repayed IF he went L/O!

But, I stand by my advice to him about taking this business SLOWLY.

Maybe, he's listening... maybe not. But, I noticed that he's not attacking me! :lol2:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.