User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CDL Permit question

Alright.

Got my CDL class A permit.... well sort of.

Passed General Knowledge, Combination, and Air Brakes.

So the lady at the DMV gave me this half sheet of paper which says I passed the tests and we both signed. She then stamped it with a rubber stamper, and said the "temporary" permit wont be valid until I call the number she stamped on it and write some number on the line. So she told me to call the number. I was in a hurry so I thanked her and left.

Well, got home, looked for the number.... The stamp she stamped on there looks like this....

FOR CDLIS VERIFICATION
NUMBER CALL -297-5029

Ok, so what exactly is the number I call? There is a blank space where the first three area code digits should go. I called every 3 digit number area code for my area I could think of.

Please someone help so I dont have to go back to the DMV. I was so pissed at those idiots. When I finally got to the counter after waiting in line for a half hour, I got some asian guy who I told "I want to take my CDL Class A permit test with air brakes" He types... and goes "with air brakes you said?", and I said "yes". So he assigns me a computer. I go sit down and start taking a Class D permit test. Thinking, Maybe I have to pass this before I start my class A tests. So I finished the Class D with a 90% score and that was it. I went back up, butted in line and told that stupid idiot that he loaded the wrong test into my computer. (did he think I wanted to pass the air brake test with a class D license?)

Long story short if I have to go back there, I might not be a very nice person. So maybe someone on here can help me out.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblake View Post
Alright.

Got my CDL class A permit.... well sort of.

Passed General Knowledge, Combination, and Air Brakes.

So the lady at the DMV gave me this half sheet of paper which says I passed the tests and we both signed. She then stamped it with a rubber stamper, and said the "temporary" permit wont be valid until I call the number she stamped on it and write some number on the line. So she told me to call the number. I was in a hurry so I thanked her and left.

Well, got home, looked for the number.... The stamp she stamped on there looks like this....

FOR CDLIS VERIFICATION
NUMBER CALL -297-5029

Ok, so what exactly is the number I call? There is a blank space where the first three area code digits should go. I called every 3 digit number area code for my area I could think of.

Please someone help so I dont have to go back to the DMV. I was so pissed at those idiots. When I finally got to the counter after waiting in line for a half hour, I got some asian guy who I told "I want to take my CDL Class A permit test with air brakes" He types... and goes "with air brakes you said?", and I said "yes". So he assigns me a computer. I go sit down and start taking a Class D permit test. Thinking, Maybe I have to pass this before I start my class A tests. So I finished the Class D with a 90% score and that was it. I went back up, butted in line and told that stupid idiot that he loaded the wrong test into my computer. (did he think I wanted to pass the air brake test with a class D license?)

Long story short if I have to go back there, I might not be a very nice person. So maybe someone on here can help me out.
What city is your state capitol? Try that area code.

Or......Just go back to the DMV office....be polite, and ask.

Part of your job, as a CDL operator...is reading your paperwork and insuring that you have all the proper documentation for the load. The same could be said for getting your "learners permit". You could have looked at that slip of paper when the clerk handed it to you, and then could have asked. It could very well be that you were expected to use a "lobby phone" right there at the office to make that call.

just sayin
Old 12-31-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I agree with Orangetxguy. It is up to you to make sure that you fully understand what you read. If not, the time to ask questions is at the DMV. You can get much further if you are polite and respectful. If you can't be respectful with the licensing people you will have a very difficult time dealing with shippers and the many frustrations on the road. I would try the area code in your state capitol. If that doesn't work then I would go back to your local DMV office and ask them. You may even call your local office and save a trip.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Rookie

Thanks I will call them back because I have tried dang near ever area code for the metro area.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Senior Board Member

did you try 800 and 888 and 866 ?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
did you try 800 and 888 and 866 ?
I was thinking the same thing....

Also, I would like to know what area you are in. I have never heard of this procedure before.............. here they have you take a WRITTEN test, then someone grades it, and their supervisor has to check it too, then you are handed a legimit permit.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Rookie

I forget what the area code was that I had to use. 800 888 and 866 did not work.

I'm in the Minneapolis/St. Paul MN area.

When I got the number, I called in, first got a machine that I had to push a few bottons. Then I got a person whom I read my Class D license number to. She put me on hold for a minute or two and then came back with a 3 digit code I had to write on my temporary permit. "CDL-xxx".

I think it may have had to do with getting my permit so close to the new years holiday. But either way, the instructor for my school also has never heard of doing it like this either. He asked if I had any outstanding tickets on my license. Nope....

Eitherway I got it now so all is good. Now if I could just figure out how to do that darn 90 degree alley dock without using a pull up I should be all right. LOL

Thanks gentlemen.