User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Class a lic since 1984

i HAVE HAD MY CLASS A LIC SINCE 1984 AND NEVER HAD A TICKET OR ACCIDENT IN A TRUCK. IN 2001 I STOPPED DRIVING TOP WATCH OVER MY MOM. NOW I WANT TO START DRIVING AGAIN, EMPLOYERS TELL ME TO LOOK FOR AN OWNER OPERATOR TO WORK FOR. ANY IDEA'S? TY
Old 07-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_mike View Post
i HAVE HAD MY CLASS A LIC SINCE 1984 AND NEVER HAD A TICKET OR ACCIDENT IN A TRUCK. IN 2001 I STOPPED DRIVING TOP WATCH OVER MY MOM. NOW I WANT TO START DRIVING AGAIN, EMPLOYERS TELL ME TO LOOK FOR AN OWNER OPERATOR TO WORK FOR. ANY IDEA'S? TY
CDL program began April 1 1992, so you are way ahead of the game
Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you have kept up your CDL then it will be much easier to get back in the seat as long as it isn't with a major carrier. A small carrier or owner operator would be your best bet. Insurance companies just check how long you have held your CDL. As long as there isn't a gap in having your license then that is usually all they check other than your driving record or mvr. Smaller carriers are always looking for good drivers. They would be much more willing to give you a try. There is a possibility that you could run with another driver for a couple of weeks until they felt comfortable with you driving on your own. I would check around. If you go with a major carrier they are likely going to want you to take a refresher course before putting you in a truck.